2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

K&N Intake Install - Easiest Place to Disconnect Ground

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 PM

K&N Intake Install - Easiest Place to Disconnect Ground

Okay, so the directions say to disconnect the ground on the battery when installing the intake which I always do just to reset all the internals when doing this type of install. Is there a place to disconnect the negative terminal under the hood instead of having to dig my way to the battery in the rear? I'm not at home or standing in front of my car but it seems like I remember a jumper area up front but I was unsure if I could unhook from that point or not. Any help would be great...I'm installing this puppy when I get home.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM

The ground jumping point under the hood is the strut bolt if I remember correctly. But getting to the battery is pretty simple.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:48 PM

I may just end up disconnecting it from the battery. I just figured there was a point to disconnect under the hood that may be easier to access.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

OOPS.......I installed a K&N intake and didn't disconnect it. If you add a tune from Vince it runs and sounds great !!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 PM

Yeah I don't think you have to, just got in the habit of doing years ago with my first full intake system. I think the instructions even mention it. I got my battery disconnected and I'm just about done getting the factory unit off. Can't wait to have the finished product on.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 PM

All done! The factory airbox the top of hand all up but besides that everything went pretty good. The sound from the exhaust now is amazing with my resonator delete. I went for a short drive, of course I couldn't tell a huge difference but I wasn't planning on any HP gain. I did however notice a nice ticking sound under the hood with the large plastic intake gone. Not sure if that's normal or not, but I can't hear it when the hood is down so it may have made that noise from day one. I don't know if I've ever had the hood open with the car open since I purchased it. Overall I'm very happy...may order me a replacement K&N filter since this one is pretty dirty. I would clean and reoil but since so many people have had bad luck with that and throwing a cel with this intake, I'm leary of doing it.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM

If you need to clean it, let me know. I've got a kit and never had an issue with over oiling. Most just don't know how to oil one (extremely simple). Some do get over oiled from the factory and people don't read the instructions on what to do in that case. But I remember the pics of that filter, it looked like the mesh was missing in one spot and that will make the material easier to have a hole in it. It should be replaced at some point, but we can give it a cleaning if you like.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
If you need to clean it, let me know. I've got a kit and never had an issue with over oiling. Most just don't know how to oil one (extremely simple). Some do get over oiled from the factory and people don't read the instructions on what to do in that case. But I remember the pics of that filter, it looked like the mesh was missing in one spot and that will make the material easier to have a hole in it. It should be replaced at some point, but we can give it a cleaning if you like.
I actually just went on amazon and picked up a new replacement for $33. I used the part number listed on the instructions and ordered the direct replacement. Ill throw that in and keep the old one as a backup. For $110 with a new filter I cant complain!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Administrator

nice deal, very cool
Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chefhhr
I did however notice a nice ticking sound under the hood with the large plastic intake gone. Not sure if that's normal or not, but I can't hear it when the hood is down so it may have made that noise from day one.
Sounds like your Injectors, they do make ticking noise. Newer hhrs are louder..

Quick Reply: K&N Intake Install - Easiest Place to Disconnect Ground