2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

K&N Intake Modification

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:28 PM

K&N Intake Modification NOW WITH PICTURES

I installed a K&N intake system and a GForce chip and while letting the brain figure out what had changed I did a little testing. I was curious if the stock intake hose from the fender well was actually supplying enough air or was a choke point. To test this I inserted a section of clear tubing around the molded tube that runs from the air cleaner to the throttle valve as there was a little bit of a gap there. After the first time I ran the car with a couple full throttle runs I looked and the piece of tubing had been sucked into the air box???? Hummm, so I put the tube back and ran it for several days and each time it seems there is some negative pressure in the air box as the tube seal got sucked right in.

So I dug up some heavy duty 2 3/4 flex air hose left over from my race car days and a hole saw and added a second air inlet to the air box. I fabricated a fiberglass inlet that fits over the radiator and under the top cross brace and it seems to work fine. No more negative air box pressure and the inlet hose is cool all the way from the adapter to the air box but heats up at very low speeds or when shut off. At normal highway speeds the inlet stays cool to the touch as I tested it the other night by stopping right off the freeway and popping the hood. As for possible water inlet, I put in several small holes just before the hose attaches to the fiberglass inlet adapter to let water out.

So now we'll see if the brain makes any changes?

Last edited by oldracer; 07-23-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:40 PM

My stock air box was cut off the right side use 2 90 degree elbows and 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe from both sides of the cutoff stock air filter and ran them to just above the radiator now cold air from both sides and put a K&N filter inside the air box big change in performance.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Former Sponsor

The GForce chips are junk, they are either just resistors, or they are boxes that lie to the ECM (or Brain) about what the temperature is outside and stuff. If you want a real performance boost, we sell actual tunes (or ECM/Brain software modifications).
Old 07-14-2013, 05:09 PM

BNRacing

Can you tell me if there is a price (performance wise) for having MAP sensor versus MAF?? Living in Arizona there seems to be a pervasive sluggishness in my 2010 with 39K during the afternoon when the temp is up!!! That sluggishness is gone in the mornings when it is cooler??

I'm frankly not impressed with the city mpg. It is running 18.5-19.5 and out on the highway if there is any headwind it drops to 25-26 mpg.

We rented a Chrysler mini van with their VVT valve train and a 3.6 liter engine. The above numbers (19-20 city 23-26 highway)are about what we saw with the minivan and it was a rocket??

Is there a tune for mileage??
Old 07-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

can you post pics of your new air hose set up?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:56 PM

If I can remember it, I'll take a picture tomorrow or Tuesday. I used a hole saw and cut a 2 1/2 inch hole directly opposite the one that is molded into the K&N housing that the stock hose connects to. I used some 2 1/2 inch racing wire re-enforced ducting left over from my sports car racing days and ran that from the hole to a 1/2 inch x 12 inch inlet that sits on top of the radiator to the right of the hood latch. There is a rubber flap to seal that opening so I figured why not use the area.

Before the mod, immediately after stopping and checking, the area just above the throttle body was warm but after the mod, it was cool to the touch. That tells me that the stock air inlet hose does not provide enough air.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 PM

I posted some pictures in the general area post I made about the gas mileage test I did.