2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Coolant issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 02:32 PM

Coolant issues

So I have a 2011 Chevy HHR, the other day my engine light came on with the coolant gauge at 0 and the coolant temp digital readout at ---. I discovered my coolant reservoir tank was dried out and for some reason whoever did my oil change or last perrson that checked my compartment didn't close the coolant recovery tank cap down all the way(it was open completely when I checked the hood). I put some coolant into the tank and turned the car on to see if there were any leaks, left on for 5 minutes and haven't found anything dripping from the engine compartment. Awhile back maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago I turned my car on had to run in the house to do a few things before going out in my car, I looked under my car and saw a clear puddle of some sort, It had no smell to it at all, I thought it was maybe water or windshield wiper fluid. After filling the tank and running the car I see nothing in change. Coolant gauge still doesn't warm up, digital still shows dashes and ac still blowing warm air. Can someone please explain to me what I need to do?
Old 06-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, change the thermostat and the Dexcool, the car is 6 years old , Dexcool should be changed at 5 years.
Get the correct ACDelco 180 degree thermostat, the computer doesn't like the cheap aftermarket, Stant or Motorad pieces.

It's relatively easy to change out , you'll need a 10 mm wrench , a catch pan and some time!
Read this first

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...l-p0128-24493/
Old 06-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Technical Moderator

Leaving the top open is of no consequence; it is there to keep junk OUT.

Change the DexCool and thermostat. Don't accept anything but DexCool for anti-freeze.

Was your A/C or defroster running while you ran into the house? the water you saw could be condensate.

send a private message to 843de, the admin to change your user name. It is very dangerous to use your email.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:06 PM

So I finally replaced it, took about an hour because it's definitely not easy to get into. Thermostat is new and now in there. Coolant is running up to temps of 200 to 210 and the gauge meter is about middle. Is it safe to operate now?
Old 06-11-2017, 08:14 PM

Hi Darke, to the forums!!

Be sure to burp the system as outlined here by oldblue.
Originally Posted by Oldblue
This could be related to the water pump issue I just merged in from that other four year old thread, now if there is an air bubble lurking in the heater core or cylinder head, then we need to ensure it gets let out!
Unlike Booger in those nerd movies it can't burp itself! We have to help it!! Either jack up the right front corner or drive up in ramps or just park so the front bumper is higher then the back bumper , say in a hill or you drive if it inclines.
Run the car till it reached temperature, like go for a 5 to 10 minute drive, come back and park as I said , let the HHR cool off for a few hours, open the rad hose cap, top off the Dexcool,?this can take a few tries. Start up the HHR with the cap off and see if the Dexcool goes down then top it up. Put the cap back on, tighten it up.
Check the Dexcool again next morning.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:43 PM

Radiator pressure cap

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Hi Darke, to the forums!!

Be sure to burp the system as outlined here by oldblue.
So the radiator pressure cap is kinda being an ass and not turning off. I know it's a push down and twist but I do that and doesn't pop off like it's suppose to. There is no pressure built up bc the hoses I can press with no resistance
Old 06-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

???
Well. How did you top off the coolant in the radiator after you changed the thermostat ? You did say you had it running after the work was done.
And guessing you did not change out the Dexcool as was suggested.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:21 PM

To properly change the coolant, is as follows: Drain from the petkawk, AND remove the drain bolt from the water pump, AND remove the thermostat. Close system back up again, and refill with 50/50 mix Dex-Cool.

I'd like to try to remove the cap from my motor, to see if there was any trick(it's been awhile). But it's still too warm. I don't think there is, just twist and then pull it off. The O-ring is probably just sticking.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Technical Moderator

No push, just unscrew. Use a large channel lock between the finger bumps.

If the system is still under pressure it is near impossible to remove (for safety).

Might be a good idea to get a new one, they are cheap.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
To properly change the coolant, is as follows: Drain from the petkawk, AND remove the drain bolt from the water pump, AND remove the thermostat. Close system back up again, and refill with 50/50 mix Dex-Cool.

I'd like to try to remove the cap from my motor, to see if there was any trick(it's been awhile). But it's still too warm. I don't think there is, just twist and then pull it off. The O-ring is probably just sticking.
Where 8s the petkawk draining spot. I have a 2011 hhr but I don't know my car well enough to know where it is at

Quick Reply: Coolant issues