Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.4L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/)
-   -   Ok, we need some sound clips. (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/ok-we-need-some-sound-clips-6915/)

Money in the Bank 02-25-2007 08:48 PM

Ok, we need some sound clips.

Hopefully with enough response this could turn into a sticky to end the debate over which aftermarket exhast to get. Socal has a IMCO vid, but lets see some from the other brands to compare.

ymerej_mortsdnil 02-25-2007 09:51 PM

:welcome: :banana: :hhr: :yourock: :hhr: :banana: :welcome:

SoCalHHR 02-26-2007 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Money in the Bank (Post 124896)
Hopefully with enough response this could turn into a sticky to end the debate over which aftermarket exhast to get. Socal has a IMCO vid, but lets see some from the other brands to compare.

Sound clips alone are not going to net you the full effect. Since I have worked with many of the manufacturers to prototype exhaust for the HHR, I've had the priviledge of actually driving my HHR with 3 different exhausts, and 6 different mufflers installed - each was driven for several days, in some cases up to 2 weeks.

Through such extended driving I had the opportuniy to compare "real life" performance and in-cabin noise levels critically. In short, ANY aftermarket cat-back system you install will cause a loud resonance (AKA "droning"), at highway speeds. Since the HHR's interior is square and cavernous these resonant frequencies are magnified, in many cases to the point where it is difficult to hear the stereo. If you're all about loud "ricey" sounds, getting a cat-back will certainly net you that; but don't expect any better performance than the IMCO.

The HHR's exhaust tubing is already 2 1/4" - which flows more than enough for even a hopped-up 2.4L engine. Basically, a better muffler is all that is needed, and through our testing we found the IMCO to provide the most compatible flow rate (providing ample back-pressure for good low rpm operation, coupled with proper modulation of auto trans equipped HHR's. It also puts out a nice "mellow" and deep sound - more of a hot rod, less of an "import." :D

My advice; if you want the best performance and least in-cabin sound - get the IMCO. Trust me when I say "Been there - done that!" :lol:

Hope it helps,

en0oNmAI 02-26-2007 02:12 PM

If you want I can post a vid of my current setup. GMPP Exhaust Manifold, 2.75" Downpipe w/ gutted Cat, 2.5" resonator, 2.5" piping to dual "fart can" style mufflers. It takes a little bit to "warm up" this sytem but its nice and deep but also LOUD. And when I say LOUD I mean "whatdidjoojussay?!" Kinda loud! I'll see what I can do.

O6ChevyHHR 02-26-2007 02:13 PM

sweet!

Lee3333 02-26-2007 06:20 PM

Let's hear it, Jason. I have to agree with Mike. I have the IMCO, modified with my custom lake pipes. With the system closed, it has more low end. But, the car is kind of quiet for me. With it open, the car is running with no muffler (just cat and resonator) and is pretty loud outside (I don't mind it inside-guess I am used to loud unmuffled engines).

In fact, I will try to post 3 clips-one closed, one open, and one inthe middle.

Money in the Bank 02-27-2007 09:35 PM

as of right now 133 people have viewed this post! Um, i guess nobody has a aftermarket exhast/muffler and/or video camera. Come on people..

HillsdaleHHR 02-27-2007 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Money in the Bank (Post 125532)
as of right now 133 people have viewed this post! Um, i guess nobody has a aftermarket exhast/muffler and/or video camera. Come on people..

alot of those are lurkers!!!!

SoCalHHR 02-27-2007 11:18 PM

I'd bet 130 of those have the IMCO on their HHR! :lol:

GDZHHR 02-27-2007 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR (Post 125533)
alot of those are lurkers!!!!

Some of us just don't have the time!:cool: