2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:51 PM

Overheating

hey all
we have a 2008 2.4l HHR, last winter my wife went through a deep puddle and I ended up replacing the radiator and the fan assembly, Two weeks ago it started over heating (230 on the dash read out), the fan was running and the A/C was working. I put more coolant in it but during the coolant started boiling. after doing this have not had any problem with the coolant system, until today we went across town and on the way back the temp reached 230 again, A/C was working fine. the car has not been more the 190 since we have had it
Old 04-25-2015, 06:46 AM

Any symptoms immediately when she went through the water? Why did you need to replace the rad/fan? If you are over heating the first thing to consider is if the fan is working. Sounds like it is. Is there air in the system? You should not be pulling the reservoir cap off when its that hot. Make sure the cap is tight so it holds pressure. It was likely air purging and there could be more in the system. After the car is warm, does your heat work? If not there could be air in your heater core. I never had an issue with the air bleeding itself out on this car though and I've done it numerous times. Consider replacing your thermostat. It is very inexpensive and easy to do. You can do it in less than an hour. If the stat is not opening properly anymore the engine will get hot. Pull your dipstick and look at the oil. Is it dark or milky? If dark then fine. If milky, the oil and coolant are mixing and you're likely going to need a head gasket. Is there any sign of coolant on the ground after you park it? If so where is it coming from? Pay very close attention to your coolant level. Check it in the morning when the engine is cold and note the level or take a picture. Compare it after the next drive or couple drives after the engine is cold again. If it is low it is obviously going somewhere. Could be a bad water pump.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Technical Moderator

Do you ever check the coolant level? Both in the tank and under the pressure cap.

Never open the pressure cap when the engine is hot; serious injuries and trips to the hospital/morgue can ensue.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
Any symptoms immediately when she went through the water? Why did you need to replace the rad/fan?
really????? symptoms you mean besides loss of coolant do you not under stand what happens when your fan hits water??????? fan + water = smiley face

people i was putting coolant in and doing the purge on a cold system ie how else do you do it but take the cap off and fill then warm up the engine i thought i was ask a question on a place where you don't need to explain every step. I just hate this new cookie cutter cars they have now
Old 04-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Technical Moderator

I put more coolant in it but during the coolant started boiling
Maybe sentences like that cause problems.

i was putting coolant in and doing the purge on a cold system ie how else do you do it but take the cap off and fill then warm up the engine
Excuse me for not reading your mind. Where is that info in your OP?

Perhaps you could make an attempt at a coherent sentence.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:45 PM

well i guess i just keep using my firebird and ram forums there you don't have to explain every little step because they have a basic understanding required. good day all
Old 04-25-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by batsibf
hey all
we have a 2008 2.4l HHR, last winter my wife went through a deep puddle and I ended up replacing the radiator and the fan assembly, Two weeks ago it started over heating (230 on the dash read out), the fan was running and the A/C was working. I put more coolant in it but during the coolant started boiling. after doing this have not had any problem with the coolant system, until today we went across town and on the way back the temp reached 230 again, A/C was working fine. the car has not been more the 190 since we have had it
I am struggling with a over heat issue as well. I think my problem is either a water pump or I need to buy the vacuum pump to pull vacuum on coolant system, then add coolant. Everything else checks out ok. Keep me posted with what you find and I'll do the same.
I too belonged to the corvette forum and the Jeep forum, this place is a little different.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Well. That didn't go well!
Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Technical Moderator

I guess the firebird and ram forums are better at reading minds.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Well actually all of his first post was just his description of his experiences, and he actually wasn't looking for any advice. He was just imparting his vast knowledge and experience.

I saw the posting last night, and thought, since he didn't actually ask for help or advice....................... onto another thread. :)

Quick Reply: Overheating