2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

RSM Racing CAI & Supoercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 12:32 PM

RSM Racing CAI & Supoercharger

RSMRACING has these cobalt ecotech products listed on their HHR page.

I wonder if they actually checked out if these will fit the HHR, or they just copied the cobalt page cuz its the same motor?

I think the prices are Canadian $

http://www.rsmracing.com/hhr.htm
Old 02-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Banned

They don't even tell you if they are for the 2.2 or 2.4.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by OhioHHR

I wonder if they actually checked out if these will fit the HHR, or they just copied the cobalt page cuz its the same motor?

I think the prices are Canadian $

http://www.rsmracing.com/hhr.htm
I sent them an email asking them about their products for the HHR. When i hear anything from them i will pass on to you guys.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by OhioHHR

While it might be the same engine, the HHR's small underhood area requires specialized routing to fit in the engine compartment. AEM is currently completing an intake for the HHR now. It should be ready in a couple of months.

Hope it helps,
Old 02-03-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
While it might be the same engine, the HHR's small underhood area requires specialized routing to fit in the engine compartment. AEM is currently completing an intake for the HHR now. It should be ready in a couple of months.

Hope it helps,
Isnt this CAI for the 2.4 ecotec?

Will the 2.4 intake fit on the 2.2?
Old 02-03-2006, 01:57 PM

I can tell from this pic:

There's no way this intake will fit on the HHR. We found during development of AEM's kit that due to engine compartment restrictions, placment of the sensors and wiring harness, the HHR's intake tube must run over the top of the engine towards the back. Unless of course you want to build your own wiring harness...

Not sure if the 2.2 and 2.4 use the same size throttle bodies (I wouldn't think so!). Even if they did, there's a lot more to designing a system than "making sure it fits." A system optimised for the 2.2L won't give optimim performance on the 2.4L and vice-versa. Even more so due to the variable valve timing found in the 2.4L - it's an entirely different animal performance wise with much different requirements.

One thing we discovered during development of AEM's kit is that the 2.4L responded better to much smaller diameter intake tube sizes than anticipated. This can only be determined by building several different designs and dyno'ing them - and letting the numbers speak for themselves, instead of going with "what you know works" from past experience.

Anyone can buy the parts at Pep Boy's and build their own intake, but a properly designed air intake system will provide performance gains across the powerband rather than just in the top-end. Daily drivers need strong torque figures as well as better peak power. Much experimentation was done with runner lengths and tube diameters to get the engine responding well at all rpms.

From my dealings with AEM, I am confident that their intake (when released), will provide the provide the best combination of performance and engine response at all speeds. It may not be everyone's cup of tea - but they are on the ball and bringing it to market!

Old 02-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Banned

That one looks good for bringing in warm oily air.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:27 PM

Not sure if the 2.2 and 2.4 use the same size throttle bodies (I wouldn't think so!). Even if they did, there's a lot more to designing a system than "making sure it fits." A system optimised for the 2.2L won't give optimim performance on the 2.4L and vice-versa. Even more so due to the variable valve timing found in the 2.4L - it's an entirely different animal performance wise with much different requirements.
I owned a 2001 nissan sentra that had the QG18DE in it. We didnt have that much after market support, so what some of us did, was we bought the AEM CAI for the SR20DE and redrilled the MAF adapter from AEM to fit our MAF's. We gained the same numbers that the SR did. I really want to buy parts that are made for the 2.2 and not have to modify 2.4 parts, but if i have to i will. The 2.2 gets better gas mileage and throttle reponse from a CAI that is why i want one so bad, this of course is coming from the owner of an 04 cavi with the 2.2 eco.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:46 PM

Do you understand that the 2.2L and 2.4L are not the same engine?
There are a lot more differences tha just the displacement.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:57 PM

Do you understand that the 2.2L and 2.4L are not the same engine?
There are a lot more differences tha just the displacement.
I do understand that. I have modded a couple of cars during my short stay here on earth. however, all cai are the same, it is a mandrel bent tubing that replaces the stock intake and places the filter outside of the engine pay so it can bring in cold air. I understand that there is alot of research and development that goes into these things too. I really dont want to have another car that im going to have to modify **** to make it work. Why cant they make the CAI for the 2.2 also. Im sure that it wouldn't take them that long once they have one for the 2.4 to make one for the 2.2. The throttle body appears to be in the same position, so all they would really have to do is play with pipe diameter to get the optimal settings. Hell i will probally end up testing the 2.4 CAI on the 2.2 when available anyway, i really just would like to have some more support for the 2.2.

Quick Reply: RSM Racing CAI & Supoercharger