2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Stopped SC build, going Turbo Kit Route. ???

Old 04-19-2013, 09:21 PM

Stopped SC build, going Turbo Kit Route. ???

After doing more research I have decided to go the Turbo route. I was planning the ZZP SC stage 2 kit with cams but after some debating and talk with my mechanic and the guys at ZZP I have decided to go turbo. I was on the fence already and after ZZP told me the 2.4 cams are no longer available and that the Turbo kit will give me near double the HP gain the supercharger kit would and the fact I will never be on a track I made the decision.

Sorry for wasting your time hhrfreak and American & Proud. lol

Anyway, being the turbo kit comes with specific headers and DP I have my brand new(less than 30 miles) less than 2 week old longtube headers and catted 3" to 2.5" out DP for sale here. I won't have proof pics up until Monday April 22.

Before turbo kit purchase I will be doing everything else. I have new tires and wheels coming along with Brembo front brake kit. I'm debating a performance LSD install(probably not) and would like to beef up the rear drums somehow without doing a rear disc swap. I want to buy a clutch and flywheel now.

My questions on this thread are the following:

1.What stage clutch should I go with? I will probably purchase from TTR. I'm just not sure if I should go 3 or 4 stage or stay at 2.

2. Do I even need a performance flywheel if stock one is in good condition? Would replacing stock with a lighter one help me at all?

3. From what I'm told by the ZZP guy I should opt for stage 2 turbo kit rather than 3 because of inferior manual tranny(even with clutch and flywheel upgrade). Anyone on here have experience with adding turbo kit to a manual 2.2 or 2.4? I believe both use the same type of manual tranny, and I assume the SS has a performance manual tranny. Anything I can do to make the manual tranny more solid without spending 3-4k?

Any feedback or advice at all on turbo kit upgrade welcome. I'll be looking through the threads for turbo builds, I just don't think I've seen any on here on a non-SS model.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Premium Member

Think one of our members has a deal for you on a spec 3 clutch..https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/deleted-threads-41/spec-3-clutch-pressure-plate-44805/

Why don't you buy an SS, the turbo is already there ??
Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Think one of our members has a deal for you on a spec 3 clutch..https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44805

Why don't you buy an SS, the turbo is already there ??
lol I can't find a SS with decent miles on it.

Thanks but I believe that Stage 3+ clutch is specifically for 2.0 08-10 SS Turbo, completely different part number then the one I would need. I'm just assuming it would not work.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Here is one, tempting me. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/deleted-threads-41/09-hhr-ss-panel-truck-45788/
Old 04-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Check the torque rating on the clutch and make sure its good for over 300. Flywheel is up to you. It spins up faster and I noticed no drive ability issues with the fidanza, but you're gonna have a lot of torque so you could save $300. Unlikely you'll have trans issues unless you're mid 3-400whp. The 2.2, 2.4l is an F23. The 2l is an F35. Also, make sure to get good summer tires and you can get away without an LSD. Not cheap summer rubber like hankook v12. Those still spun bad with LSD on 30-40mph rolls. I'm getting bridgestone re11 on my Solstice this week. If you cheap out on rubber you'll never hook up.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 PM

Ya that's a beauty with great mileage. But I buy cash only and I'm a bit short of 15k, plus I would never own an automatic. Arkansas wouldn't be too much of a roadie but I was only looking in 2-300 mile radius of the twin cities, not really looking anymore. I got my LT2 manual dirt cheap from a friend so even after all mods including body work and stereo I'll still be well under 15k.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM

Thanks Freek.

"going to have a lot of torque so you could save $300" So I take this to mean aftermarket flywheel not necessary?

ZZP guy was telling me to probably chose stage 2 turbo kit over 3 because the extra power would be too hard on the manual tranny. Not accurate you think? I want the most balls out power I can get, I'm just not sure why ZZP would try to talk me out of it if there isn't a manual tranny issue.

Oh a BIG YES to the good summer tires. I actually looked at those Bstone re11 "extreme performance summer" tires. I'm in the process of placing an online order now but I'm still undecided on sizes being my hhr is lowered. I'm probably going to run to the local place that will be installing them on Monday after I get my headers and dp off to get a better idea of what sizes will work best but I'm ordering them along with new wheels either way so those will be on this next week or weekend.

LSD is almost off my list, if the price of the Quaife wasn't over 1k and down more toward 6-700 it wouldn't even be debated I would just grab one but I can't find one that cheap. I wouldn't even bother with a cheaper brand. Definitely some savings there not going that route.

A clutch a shopping I will go.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=SS fan;701542]Here is one, tempting me. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45788[/QUOTE

ooooh man...........
Old 04-20-2013, 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=bowtieboy68;701558]
Originally Posted by SS fan
Here is one, tempting me. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45788[/QUOTE

ooooh man...........
Agreed. He will probably get his 15k.

What size tires/wheels you got there bowtie? Which lowering springs?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 PM

I love my lsd. And my mtx does fine w stock clutch with about 350hp. Just i go through shifter cables like a mofo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stopped SC build, going Turbo Kit Route. ???