Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   2.4L Performance Tech (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/)
-   -   Wheres the Zip? (was it ever there?) (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-4l-performance-tech-14/wheres-zip-ever-there-39842/)

coolzzy 03-09-2012 11:01 PM

Wheres the Zip? (was it ever there?)

Sooo, I get to drive lots of different cars on a regular basis buying cars at various auto auctions. I bought my 07 HHR 1LT 2.4L 5spd sight unseen and had never driven a manual HHR with 2.4. I test drove a 2LT with the auto and was not impressed powerwise when compared to my Grand Prix GT but that was to be expected. I was looking for gas mileage, utility, and reliability.

Anyhow, I drove a Pontiac G3 (cobalt) with 2.2L and 5spd at the auction the other day and it was fast. It wound up and pulled hard. Then I drove a saturn Ion with same motor and 5spd, same thing. I get in my HHR, and torque is flat, it winds up very fast but does not pull any harder at any RPM. No point winding it pas 3k RPM because it gets noisy but not any faster.

Is this normal? Its got 37k miles on it, no check engine lights, idles nice and steady, consistently returns 28-30mpg (even mostly in town). I just wish it would wind up in 1, 2, and 3 a little bit instead of just getting noisy. Its a beautiful car, but all show and no go. Keep in mind that other than upgraded 17" factory wheels and Progress sway bar, steering wheel radio controls (which must make it faster right?), it is completely stock.

Is this normal behavior? Would the TriFecta Tune make it zippier? I just feel bummed that I've got this hot looking car, drinking premium fuel with a manual, and a Neon or cobalt will smoke me.

1st gear - 15mph @ 3k rpm
2nd gear - 30mph @ 3k rpm
3rd gear - 40mph @3k rpm

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil...-15-56_453.jpg

spacer 03-09-2012 11:11 PM

You sure it's a 2.4? I was under the impression that it only came in the 2LT. Coulda been an option, I suppose.
Mine won't win any races, but it does what I need it to do. I've only once thought I could use a bit more oomph, but that was only because some jerk in a Challenger decided to speed up while I was passing him.

sleeper 03-09-2012 11:12 PM

Yours must be broke, mine zips fine up to 6500 rpm..

jay loukakis 03-09-2012 11:13 PM

I have an 2006 2lt I made CAI total of 2, mine is not slow hauls ass when I punch it, gas mileage is terrible as Im always punching it and dont need anymore HP.:propeller:

coolzzy 03-10-2012 12:14 AM

if my cam phaser solenoids were bad, I'd get a CEL right? Do my RPMs match the speed of other 2.4's with 5spd? It is for sure the 2.4L, I checked the VIN before I bought it and its got the big tail pipe that only the 2.4L got. My brother in law has a HHR 2.2 with 5spd and it will walk all over mine, and does it smoother and quieter. go figure. After 3k RPM, its out of gogo and you must shift.

prod 03-10-2012 12:57 AM

My 2.2 only starts to get fun at 3000rpm. Sounds like you should get it checked out by someone who knows these engines, it could be caused by many things. Im thinking if it was the clutch the problem would be felt when starting off.
If want to try checking yourself, maybe check the air filter and maf sensor (plugged in front of air box) for dirt/contamination/poor seal.
After that, maybe get the rail fuel pressure checked.
These are just suggestions, im not a mechanic, but maybe someone else here can offer more help.
The 2.4 was an extra cost option on the 1lt, the fe3 suspension was only on the 2lt.
But I thought the rear door painted stone guards were only on 2006s, did they also come on early 07s?

07azhhr 03-10-2012 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by prod (Post 624907)
My 2.2 only starts to get fun at 3000rpm. Sounds like you should get it checked out by someone who knows these engines, it could be caused by many things. Im thinking if it was the clutch the problem would be felt when starting off.
If want to try checking yourself, maybe check the air filter and maf sensor (plugged in front of air box) for dirt/contamination/poor seal.
After that, maybe get the rail fuel pressure checked.
These are just suggestions, im not a mechanic, but maybe someone else here can offer more help.
The 2.4 was an extra cost option on the 1lt, the fe3 suspension was only on the 2lt.
But I thought the rear door painted stone guards were only on 2006s, did they also come on early 07s?

My 07 has them painted the same color as his. I think my car is early 07 but I have to double check that.

OP I too think something must be wrong with your car. In no situation should you be limited to 3k. That is probably one of the x-over points for the variable valve timing and if it is getting noisy at that RPM then I would look into timing issues. Have it scanned and watched while driven to, and above if possible, 3k.

BlackknighT 03-10-2012 07:17 AM

Re-Flash needed?

Greybeard999 03-10-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper (Post 624891)
Yours must be broke, mine zips fine up to 6500 rpm..

^^^ This ^^^

panelmoxie 03-10-2012 02:42 PM

my 2.4l is pretty zippy with lots miles and samples inside

us11csalyer 03-10-2012 03:24 PM

The cobalt should be a little faster I would think. With the difference in weight and maybe gearing. LS HHR was never fast by any means.

spacer 03-10-2012 03:27 PM

IIRC, the weight was pretty close, but the HHR is a bit more draggy, and I'm not sure about the gearing.

07azhhr 03-10-2012 11:00 PM

I have both an 03 Ion and my LS so both L61's BUT the HHR's is the newer more HP version yet the Ion will BLOW THE DOORS OFF THE HHR. When I went to test drive my LS, I had just driven the Ion to get there and man I noticed the weight of the HHR right away or if it is more gearing then that. Just a huge difference in accel in general. But both of us agree that the HHR feels nicer to drive.

American & Proud 03-10-2012 11:21 PM

Go here, look around, and get your wallet out. ;)

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/....4&submit=true

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/default.aspx

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...alvetrain.aspx

:cool:

:skull:

surfer54 03-11-2012 07:04 AM

I have a 2006 HHR 2LT with the 2.4 engine..and a 5 speed. Before I ordered the car I did a ton of research and most reviews recommended the 5 speed for that extra punch...well I've had a cold air intake on the thing for almost 2 years and can't really remember how she ran without it..one thing I can tell you..with the cold air intake it hauls ass....It is so fun to drive..gas mileage on the road can be anywhere between 25-27...city driving around 24..Try putting on a cold air intake, I don't think you'll regret it.

sleeper 03-11-2012 10:32 PM

To the OP, if you can't rev past 3K, adding any of these parts is a waste of money..

Fix the problem first.

whopper 03-12-2012 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper (Post 625466)
To the OP, if you can't rev past 3K, adding any of these parts is a waste of money..

Fix the problem first.

X2. Listen to the Sleeper. Adding more parts to it will not fix the problem. If you have a problem, it must be fixed first.

Some time back you made a reference to suspecting a flex pipe issue - did you check that out to ensure you do not have an exhaust leak there? A leak will not necessarily throw a CEL code. If you are not driving past 3K rpm, you aren't even getting that engine "on-the-cam" as such.

You say it starts to thrash or something when you get above 3K - can you elaborate more on that? Will it spin to 6K?

coolzzy 03-12-2012 05:19 PM

I changed my oil this weekend (only mobile 1 for my baby) and decided to give the car a flogging. Took it out to some country roads and let it wind up. Big flat spot from 3k to 4k, then it seemed to wind out to 5k with ease. I think it just took awhile to wind through that flat spot and power enrichment delay i thought nothing was happening. I still plan to drive conservatively and shift at or before 3k rpm just for mileage sake. But now i know it will do it, it just has to be pushed hard.

us11csalyer 03-12-2012 05:56 PM

You have the 5spd so IDK why you're having that flat spot. Like you're out of your power band. Are you shifting near redline on each gear? If not that would explain you being out of the power band.

sleeper 03-12-2012 11:23 PM

my automatic doesn't seem to have any flat spots, just pulls good from idle to 6500 rpm..

coolzzy 03-13-2012 12:05 PM

I'm shifting at 5k rpm, not willing to push it beyond that. The motor is stock, no CAI or tune.

us11csalyer 03-13-2012 12:31 PM

I know the LS 4spd I had didn't have any pep to it. TBH non-SS HHRs have never had pep. Get the SC kit and a tune.

bigjacksauto 03-13-2012 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by us11csalyer (Post 625966)
I know the LS 4spd I had didn't have any pep to it. TBH non-SS HHRs have never had pep. Get the SC kit and a tune.

Once again pep is all relative in comparison to what you are use to driving
My non hhr makes its power at higher rpms pulls its hardest from 4k on up it ia a 4 valve per cylinder motor after all.
I find the hhr has plenty of power you just have to put your foot into it more. Unlike some newer cars where you have it quarter throttle and assume there is 75 percent more power left
Only to find you are all done when trying to pass someone
Checkout the 1/4 mile mph and et on the hhr pretty good comoared to others.

us11csalyer 03-13-2012 03:25 PM

I guess it has more pep than a civic lmfao. Being serious though the HHR is a very good daily driver for most and if you want real pep get the SC kit or get the SS model.

sleeper 03-13-2012 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by coolzzy (Post 625953)
I'm shifting at 5k rpm, not willing to push it beyond that. The motor is stock, no CAI or tune.

The motor has a Rev-Limiter set to 6500 rpms. Mine pulls good to that. And sounds fine..

But I do not beat my ride either.. I just like to know it can go as needed..& it does.. It's not a racer, but it will zip along very well..

If yours sounds like it's coming apart @ 5k rpms, something's not right..
I wouldn't rev it any higher either..

Breadfan 03-13-2012 11:33 PM

I had an auto with the 2.4L. I had realistic expectations of it. While I felt there should have been a little more difference in power between the 2.2L and the 2.4L, it seemed to move very well compared to cars in its class, i.e. other N/A 4 cylinder crossover/small suv. It seemed to excel at the little things like getting going in traffic and cruising on the highway. 0-60 and passing at highway speed was so-so but acceptable depending on situation. I think the "hot rod" looks of the front of the car may lead some people to have unrealistic expectations of performance. It should be peppy enough for most people, but if you aren't ever going to be happy with "sedan" level performance, you'll need to pony up for something with some extra horses. When I had my 2.4L, I must say that I was very happy with what I referred to as my poor man's suv. It was great looking and I could afford it.

us11csalyer 03-14-2012 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Breadfan (Post 626157)
I had an auto with the 2.4L. I had realistic expectations of it. While I felt there should have been a little more difference in power between the 2.2L and the 2.4L, it seemed to move very well compared to cars in its class, i.e. other N/A 4 cylinder crossover/small suv. It seemed to excel at the little things like getting going in traffic and cruising on the highway. 0-60 and passing at highway speed was so-so but acceptable depending on situation. I think the "hot rod" looks of the front of the car may lead some people to have unrealistic expectations of performance. It should be peppy enough for most people, but if you aren't ever going to be happy with "sedan" level performance, you'll need to pony up for something with some extra horses. When I had my 2.4L, I must say that I was very happy with what I referred to as my poor man's suv. It was great looking and I could afford it.

x2. You hit it right on the head.

Doctuh 03-14-2012 09:24 AM

I don't understand

The best tradeoff on cost vs performance, in my opinion, has always been the 2.4 with the manual. They are rare. Good find! Girlfriend and I got 2006 and 2007 fully-loaded (heated seats, sunroof) 2LT manuals during the recession for under $10K each, and have never regretted it. If you want better performance, get a 2-seat sports car (mine is an S2000, hers a Z4). If you are restricted to one vehicle, then you should have gotten an SS (currently cheap after their power train warranty expires if you are feeling like risk-taking). We use our 2LTs for hauling bicycles, band instruments, and other big stuff and our sports cars for fun. The performance of the manual 2LT (compared to LS or automatic) is enough for us.