Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

New rotors not rotoring

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:41 AM

New EBC rotors warped already

HELP-In July I installed new EBC slotted rotors and their red brake pads. torqued the wheel lugs down, and I was careful not to apply the brakes too hard for the first 500 miles to break them in properly. Last week I noticed a little bit of vibration when applying the brakes at speeds over 60 MPH. It has steadily gotten much worse to the point now that any stopping at speeds over 40 create so much vibration that I can barely hold on to the steering wheel.

Anybody else have any problems with these rotors? Obviously there was no problem with the installation since they worked perfect for the first 3 months.

Last edited by Lee3333; 11-01-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:46 AM

Lee - I put some used ones on last month and have had good results. Did you go down any big hills and have to break really hard? That's how my originals went - as quick as that.

You shouldn't have to baby it on hills anyway. I'd call your supplier ASAP and get a replacement set.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned

Did you fit them with a run-out gauge according to EBC's instructions? Did you clean any rust or dirt off the hubs before installation? EBC says they'll warp like any other rotor if the runout is over .004 inches or .01 mm. If the runout is too high, you are supposed to rotate the rotor one hole until the runout is within spec.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 AM

never had any problems with mine yet, or when i installed them.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:20 PM

Yes I had the same problem with my EBC rotors with the red pads after about 3000 miles of running.

I fixed it though this past Wednesday, I traded it for an 08 Equinox with 4 wheel disc brakes, what a difference in vehicles.

There's just no reason for any new vehicle to have brake problems like that.

TomR
Old 11-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Lee, I'm having brake issues too with the NEW ECB. The vendor say they never have trouble, the garage that oput them on said all is well, yet I get increased vibration whan braking. The break in periond was edone rihgt, but the vibtraton has been there since I changed them.
I also changed out the tires and put tow of the rims i bought from you on at the same time. They balanced oK, but perhaps one of the tires is out of round. That's the3 trouble with shotgunning everything like I had to. We had to leave the next day, so we did it all in a day...
Now its many months later and the vibration issue has gotten no better. I'll be bringing the car back to the garage where I bought the tires and where they put the brakes on. Did that once, they said "all was fine, I said, no it isn't.........."
I know my car and it should not be vibrating like that.
Sorry you are in the same boat.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmmm.....

These posts add to the rotor problems and complaints of many. Maybe GM didn't use "crappy" brakes after all, since members are experiencing the same problems with one of the premier aftermarket brake products.

So, what else could it be???
Old 11-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Well while I didn't check other things, I just got rid of the problem completely. But a few things I could have had investigated before I got rid of the car was the front spindle bearing being set too loose. I don't know if the bearing being too loose would allow to much lateral movement in the whole hub/disc/wheel assembly or not. I never checked it.
Also while I believe the pulsing and vibration was coming from the front wheels, in reality some or all may have been coming from the rear drum brakes. Whatever it was I was through dealing with it.

TomR
Old 11-01-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by TomR00
But a few things I could have had investigated before I got rid of the car was the front spindle bearing being set too loose. I don't know if the bearing being too loose would allow to much lateral movement in the whole hub/disc/wheel assembly or not. I never checked it.
No "spindle" on these, just a bolt on unitized sealed bearing/hub assembly. No adjustment possible.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Hmmmm.....

These posts add to the rotor problems and complaints of many. Maybe GM didn't use "crappy" brakes after all, since members are experiencing the same problems with one of the premier aftermarket brake products.

So, what else could it be???
Well i had the vibrations on mine and since putting EBCs on i have had 0 problems.

Quick Reply: New rotors not rotoring