Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Appearance/Modifications Discussions (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/)
-   -   10000K HIDs installed (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/10000k-hids-installed-12436/)

Laid GP 01-04-2008 03:49 PM

10000K HIDs installed

I know that HIDs without projectors are terrible and make the baby Jesus cry and all that stuff, but I wasn't happy with my Silver Stars so I ordered a 10000k HID kit.

I've just installed them, and this is a comparison of Silver Star vs. HID. Both headlights are lit in this picture.

http://www.laidgp.com/gallery/main.p...serialNumber=2

My only grip is that it is a PAIN to get up inside the wheelwell where the headlights are.

infam0uz 01-04-2008 03:59 PM

Looks Good, I have a HID Kit myself on a PT Cruiser GT Convertible.

(if im allowed to post pics of my ride here)

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...kid/sigpte.jpg

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/files/1/7/8/8/3-1.jpg

Im using a Flowlighting HID KIT 6000K. Overall these mod is worth it, If i ever get a HHR SS, this mod will be the first mod installed, along with LED Taillights too.

Laid GP 01-04-2008 04:06 PM

Thanks, LED taillights are my next mod, as soon as they come out.

STREET STYLIN' HHR 01-04-2008 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laid GP (Post 224809)
I know that HIDs without projectors are terrible and make the baby Jesus cry and all that stuff, but I wasn't happy with my Silver Stars so I ordered a 10000k HID kit.

I've just installed them, and this is a comparison of Silver Star vs. HID. Both headlights are lit in this picture.
My only grip is that it is a PAIN to get up inside the wheelwell where the headlights are.

i am not happy w/ the silver stars either. i am going to get a set like these too. they look sweet as hell

Laid GP 01-04-2008 08:31 PM

I bought them from a guy on ebay named kickxtc. right at $73 shipped. Only problem is he doesn't include an adapter to make it plug in to the stock headlight wiring so I had to tap the wires.

Snoopy 01-05-2008 12:02 AM

Just a question and my opinion.....

Why do people go to such extremes to mimic a REAL look?:confused: I mean 10,000K...come on. Having better illuminated vision is one thing, but increasing the normal output by almost 3 times is kind of extreme. It's really using a completely different principal (providing more brightness from a different spectrum, in place of "clear" light) than was intended for HID's.

I do like REAL engineered HID's however.

Again just my opinion.

quest51210 01-05-2008 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Laid GP (Post 224894)
I bought them from a guy on ebay named kickxtc. right at $73 shipped. Only problem is he doesn't include an adapter to make it plug in to the stock headlight wiring so I had to tap the wires.

did you use a relay for the wiring? if not, you are asking for trouble

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 224977)

Why do people go to such extremes to mimic a REAL look?:confused: I mean 10,000K...come on. Having better illuminated vision is one thing, but increasing the normal output by almost 3 times is kind of extreme. It's really using a completely different principal (providing more brightness from a different spectrum, in place of "clear" light) than was intended for HID's.

Again just my opinion.

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000

dschoeck 01-05-2008 05:38 AM

Looks good, I have an HID kit also in my hhr. I love them!

1Panel2NV 01-05-2008 09:17 AM

I plan on putting 1,000,000K lights in mine....
....you know, the light from a lighthouse....

Sorry couldn't resist. :lol:

Laid GP 01-05-2008 11:48 AM

I didn't so much pick 10,000K as I just clicked on the first auction for H13's that the guy had. I have 5000K on my other car and am perfectly happy with those. Just goes to show that I'm an idiot :)

rob-cyn 01-06-2008 03:11 PM

Hey LAID how do you like you GTX. I had a GTP pushing over 300hp on 14 lbs of boost. One of the most fun daily drivers I have ever had.

Laid GP 01-06-2008 06:51 PM

I love it. It's not supercharged though. I don't drive it very much anymore and I miss it!

en0oNmAI 01-07-2008 05:19 PM

The "K" number used on HID systems has more to do with color than actual light output. The brightest and whitest light you can get is 4300-4500K. Which is what the current cars all use (BMW, Merc, GM, Mazda, etc;) and going higher up the scale only makes the light "bluer" and then more purple after that. For anyone getting an aftermarket HID kit even if it IS a plug-n-play kit the only benefit you are getting is the same has a blue headlight. Might as well save the $100+ you spent and buy some $20 ebay blue bulbs. Same light color. Same light on the road too especially with a 10,000K kit.

Sorry to be so negative but seeing people waste their money on things like this really irks me to no end. But to each their own I guess.

gcsd3742 01-07-2008 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 224977)

Again just my opinion.

why are you always so negative to everyone? I mean you are always putting others down because they do something different this is the reason why I left the other website because I always got tired of your comments cant you just let others do as thet wish to their vehicles whether you like it or not? SHEEZ give us a break...do you ever have a good comment? So just to add more salt to your wound snoopy I got HID's as well but I only paid $62.00 each for the 12 kits I got and mine are plug n play with wire harness adapters...Wheres that RED BARON when we need him?

Snoopy 01-07-2008 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by gcsd3742 (Post 225898)
why are you always so negative to everyone? I mean you are always putting others down because they do something different this is the reason why I left the other website because I always got tired of your comments cant you just let others do as thet wish to their vehicles whether you like it or not? SHEEZ give us a break...do you ever have a good comment? So just to add more salt to your wound snoopy I got HID's as well but I only paid $62.00 each for the 12 kits I got and mine are plug n play with wire harness adapters...Wheres that RED BARON when we need him?

Well maybe if I keep it up, you will leave here also.:D "Always" is a subjective term. That seems a little extreme.

But honestly, I don't object to whatever anyone wishes to do to THEIR car....it's theirs...and they can do whatever makes them happy. My comment about the lights was ...just that....a comment. I did ask a question hoping for some answers to help me understand why people SOMETIMES do some really amazing things (IMO:eek: ). You know this is a forum and open to questions, comments and criticisms.

But, I'm glad you moved to this forum. It has more informed participation. People here recognize the difference between rocker panels and rocker arms, cross rails and roof rails, "running boards" and rocker panels, and generally can word a question or statement in a level above sixth grade (there are exceptions, however;) ), etc. etc.

But, let me understand this......You changed forums because OF ME. I didn't realize I projected that type of influence. Maybe I should run for President.:roll:

en0oNmAI 01-07-2008 08:00 PM

to add to my previous comment...

I realize that people don't have the parts, money, means, or "balls" such as I to cut on their own vehicle and in that way do not think everyone is going to have a correctly setup HID kit as mine. However, my comment was more towards the 10k K HID.. if you really cannot afford doing things the correct way.. please for love of baby jeebus... get something realistic and useable. Nearer to 4300-4500 and not the extreme blue/purple. Then you're just going for looks and not functionality.

Laid GP 01-08-2008 05:22 PM

Haha, please don't tell me about having the balls to cut on my car. Take a look at my other ride first. Like I said, I clicked a random auction, didn't pick 10k. Have 5k on my other car and like it just fine. And if you think an HID kit isn't any brighter than a $20 bulb off of Ebay then I don't know what else to say. Oh well, I enjoy MY lights on MY car and I guess that's what matters.

ChevyMgr 01-08-2008 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV (Post 225017)

Those should be visable from Mars.:lol: ;)

Memphis_HHR 01-08-2008 06:22 PM

I hate to get involved but since I sell lighting for a living, I have to shed some info. The whitest light is in the 4k to 5k range (k-kelvin). There are some industrial 10k and 12k lamps available that are used for the growth of coral in water. That's why the sea is so black on the bottom. Water is like a filter and takes a very high kelvin lamp to penetrate it to promote coral growth.

Shootr 01-08-2008 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1Panel2NV (Post 225017)

Darn it, and I thought the landing lights I borrowed off that 747 was the hot ticket!:lol:

c2vette 01-08-2008 09:04 PM

Having lived with factory HID lights on my wife's BMW for a couple of years now, I would like to add some comments. The technically legal factory lights have a super sharp cutoff on low beam, straight ahead, but then arc up sharply on the right. So on low beam you have an incredibly bright near view and the complete blackness above that. Even though it has automatic leveling, if you are on an undulating road, the cutoff tracks up and down so oncoming cars and cars you are following often think you are flashing your lights at them. Also, going around a turn to the right, oncoming cars are lit up like you have landing lights on. Road sign reflection is also distractingly bright. Combined with the Halogen high beams, the visibility is excellent when you are the only one on the road. Otherwise the HID's are embarassing and obnoxious. Give me nice bright Halogens any day (or night). Save the HID's for Sebring or Baja. Just my opinion.

solman98 01-10-2008 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by dschoeck (Post 226812)
Seriously tho, if someone has an opinion of someones mod, and you are posting to bash on them why even do it. Keep your rude comments to yourself. There is a difference between telling someone that the mod they have done is ugly and going on and on about how its not correct because you say so.

Thats mainly why I dont post mods.

If you can't handle negative comments, you probably shouldn't post in the first place. Posting leaves open the possibility of negative comments.

Personally, I could care less what you do to yours. You can hang lanterns off they hood, I'd laught, but it's yours.

As far as lighting, if it's legal and does not blind others on the road. Don't care. But if you blind me going down the road, that **** don't fly with me. Those that don't care how they effect others on the road, should not be allowed to drive.

en0oNmAI 01-10-2008 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by solman98 (Post 226863)
If you can't handle negative comments, you probably shouldn't post in the first place. Posting leaves open the possibility of negative comments.

Personally, I could care less what you do to yours. You can hang lanterns off they hood, I'd laught, but it's yours.

As far as lighting, if it's legal and does not blind others on the road. Don't care. But if you blind me going down the road, that **** don't fly with me. Those that don't care how they effect others on the road, should not be allowed to drive.

Thank you! I merely posted my personal opinion on the matter. On how to do things the correct way. Your standard halogen reflectors are not made to provide an anti-glare cutoff that HIDs require. Plug and play kits may be DOT approved but that just means they meet the DOT requirement for the lights themselves. NOT for specific vehicles. Just bulb types and light output. That is all. Just because they fit doesn't mean they don't blind. From a distance PNP HID kits are VERY bright to on coming traffic when used on non-HID made reflectors. Anyone who says they're not is just ignorant. And just because you don't get flashed doesn't mean they're not bright. My parents don't flash they're brights at anyone anymore because of a couple reasons: 1. Most people don't dim their brights anyway, 2. they heard that gang memebers drive with brights on and when flashed follow that person and kill them, 3. it's in passing and the lights only shine for a couple seconds and then they're gone. I for one know that my DOT approved lights are in DOT approved housings that are made for zero glare and are aimed correctly to avoid blinding on coming traffic.

Again the posts were my opinion as was this one. An open forum allows for all opinions. Not bashing or hating on anyone's mods. Your car is just that. YOUR CAR. YOU do with it what you want. I for one am glad I don't live nearby so I have no worries of getting blinded. ;)

Snoopy 01-10-2008 03:02 PM

Warning...THREAD JACK

I sincerely apologize to Laid GP....

If I am responsible for starting this controversy. Especially, when someone feels the need to carry it to a completely different forum.:roll:

Now for the "high jack"......

Have you noticed the lack of "harmony" and the increase of discord over the past several weeks. I think it's the stress brought on by the holidays. Ask any Police Officer, Fire Fighter, EMT, or Social Worker for their thoughts. Hell, even the Obits Listing is larger. More people apparently die around these holidays because of the stress level. AGAIN JUST MY OPINION.;)

hhrcrafty 01-10-2008 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI (Post 226924)
My parents don't flash they're brights at anyone anymore because they heard that gang memebers drive with brights on and when flashed follow that person and kill them,

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightsout.asp

en0oNmAI 01-10-2008 07:35 PM

^--- I understand what you're trying to say. I myself do not believe it but try telling 2 50+ people who are extremely paranoid and superstitious.. :lol:

hhrcrafty 01-11-2008 07:04 AM

I hear ya. My Mother is the deadly combination of being 55+ and an elementary school counselor...she sends me crap like that all day in the email.