Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Custom grill and running boards?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:00 PM

Thanks guys. One thing we will have to consider on side exhaust on the HHR is that the floor is not flat. One side is easy. The other side is lower and would have to be worked around somehow. But when I first looked at it over a year ago I saw that it could be done.

We are planning to go ahead with this. Seems that the grill is more popular than the running boards but hopefully that will change once people start seeing them. I talked to the designer today and it is going to cost me a little over $3000 to get the prototypes done. But if they come out nearly as good as he says, I think it will be worth it.

I am looking for a cheap set of rockers and a cheap grill I can buy to use if anyone has anything they want to get rid of.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
I am looking for a cheap set of rockers and a cheap grill I can buy to use if anyone has anything they want to get rid of.
http://www.car-part.com/ Just found a grille through here cheaper than I could have on Ebay. Some damaged ones available cheap, ready for modding.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 PM

I want the grill too. The one I've got doesn't have the umph you've designed. If you want a plain HHR grill, you can have my old one for free.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by mixman
I want the grill too. The one I've got doesn't have the umph you've designed. If you want a plain HHR grill, you can have my old one for free.

I'll take that offer. If you can get a shipping quote for me I will pay you for it. My zip code is 93314.

Thanks!!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 AM

That works for me. Give me a day or so Songman. I'll get your quote when I goto the Post Office and get the weight.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:20 AM

I am very interested in the grilles. I particularly like the matching lower grille which some new cars are moving towards. The new Lincoln MKS is an example of a new car that just came out with a lower grille that looks wrong because it does not match. Ford Fusion, Cadillac Escalade Platinum Edition and Cadillac CTS and STS are examples that have matching lower grilles. It is a finished look. What do you forsee for the bumpers? Lopping off the vestigial "bumper guards"?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Yeah, I think the bumps would definitely have to go. Not sure other than that. Want to get the first couple of projects underway first. I've got the same thing going on with my Fiero hobby. We've designed a complete kit that replaces everything below the body side moulding all the way around the car. Really updates the look.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM

Very interested in the grille both top and bottom in chrome would match up great to my '48 chev pickup rod.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 AM

Seems like there is a lot of interest in the grille. How about the running boards? Before I spend the money prototyping them, I want to make sure at least enough people are interested enough that I can recoup part of my money.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM

interested in boards......

Quick Reply: Custom grill and running boards?