Mods - Builds Discussion related to HHR Builds

HHR extended cab dually HHR truck conversion

Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
SpaceCowboy , just click on Bob's Images and view the pictures there!

Bob nice work!
Thanks, having lots of fun on this one.

Bob in San Marcos, TX
Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Bolander
UPDATE! I drove the dually extended cab truck today and it runs great the front stayed attached to the back! Everything is working with two exceptions. One: the air bag light stays on, probably because I had to remove the side airbags. The cylinder extended into the truck bed area. Gotta figure out how to fool the computer about the side bags. TWO: The ignition switch will not go into the lock position and I cannot remove the key. Some interlock issue I guess. I got the hydraulic brakes and parking brake extended and they work well.
Here is a good one. I removed the sub woofer amplifier, the XM radio box and another amplifier from the bed to test drive it so they would not be thrown around in the bed. After I unplugged them, the truck would not start. Turns out that if J4 connector in the XM box is unplugged, the HHR will not start. Go figure. Theft deterrent?
So, after I get the ignition switch issue fixed, I will start finishing the body work.

Bob in San Marcos, TX
Ignition/shifter interlock issues is fixed so... tomorrow I will start putting the side panels on and work on finishing the body.

Bob in San Marcos, TX
Old 01-31-2014, 12:13 PM

Any progress on this project?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:49 AM

Question?

Firstly, Congratulations on the pick-up! - SSSSSweet! & a question on the dually build. Out of curiosity, since it appears that you've lengthened the wheelbase a bit , did you correct the steering geometry ? If you did, how did you take care of it? Inquiring minds (at least mine does! ) want to know!!!

p.s. & good luck with that dually!!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by JerseyJames
Firstly, Congratulations on the pick-up! - SSSSSweet! & a question on the dually build. Out of curiosity, since it appears that you've lengthened the wheelbase a bit , did you correct the steering geometry ? If you did, how did you take care of it? Inquiring minds (at least mine does! ) want to know!!!

p.s. & good luck with that dually!!

Huh, steering geometry? Yea, I lengthened it about 30" and it did affect the turning radius significantly. However, I have driven it several times and it handles just like my 06 daily driver. (except the turn radius). Thanks for the interest.
Bob in San Marcos, TX
Old 02-01-2014, 02:47 PM

HHR dually

Originally Posted by CA Blue HHR
Any progress on this project?
Yup, I have welded in most of the body panels and will start the body finishing next week. Taking a little time off and going to Corpus Christi to hang out for a few days with my sweetie (wife). I have several pictures posted on the web site. Just click to the right on images.
Bob in San Marcos, TX
Old 02-01-2014, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Neat progress Bob, enjoy your trip!!!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:56 PM

I would really like to see more of this.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM

Holy crap, this is awesome. Super cool. I freakin' want one. Always loved the El Camino. El HHR? Beats me pulling my trailer with my HHR when I have to move stuff around.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Banned

As much as I hate to say it. Shoulda taken 1 HHR SS Front, and an LT Rear, swapped the parts over for Disc rear and suspension wise, and done it that way! Zoomin cool ride!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HHR extended cab dually HHR truck conversion