Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Appearance/Modifications Discussions (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/)
-   -   LOOKING for HHR FLAME KIT (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/looking-hhr-flame-kit-3786/)

captain howdy 08-25-2006 06:31 PM

They are nothing like real ghost flames. That is one of the reasons I took them off. It is etched glass vinyl. When you put it over paint it will lighten up the shade of the paint just like in the photo. It was my first time I worked with ethched glass vinyl so it was a new experience. It is not as pliable as regular vinyl and its got a weird dull gritty texture to it. Also it didn't apply with transfer tape like normal vinyl. I'm pretty good with vinyl so it wasn't anything I couldn't overcome. It came out good looking but I decided they didn't really match the look I want so I took them off. Like I previously said, I like my barbed wire pinstripe way better.

rollinchp 08-25-2006 06:37 PM

wow, well we will see, are they hard to put on ? I am pretty good with putting on decals. But if I think they are going to look bad I will remove them. But to get real ghost flames in California is very expensive, it was the only alternative i could find at the time. So we will see. I ordered style 1 , was that style 1 off ebay ?

captain howdy 08-25-2006 06:49 PM

Have you ever done a large decal on a car before using the wet technique? They are not that hard to put on if you have a little experience. The bulges in the door are a bit*h!

rollinchp 08-25-2006 06:55 PM

never done the wet technique, maybe i can find someone that works in a body shop somewhere to put them on, cause i would sure hate to have to order more, lol. Do they have to be put on with the wet technique ? And did you put style 1 on your HHR ?

captain howdy 08-25-2006 07:01 PM

I think it is style 1? :confused: I put them on almost a year ago, notice the snow. :lol: If you don't put them on wet you are going to have a lot of little air bubbles and they will be a lot tougher to work with.

rollinchp 08-25-2006 07:08 PM

did the guy send directions with them ? i ordered more decals for mine, like the ones off the 49 suburban, and put them on the sides of the hood and the front grill, they are identical to the emblems that were on the 49.....it looks really good

captain howdy 08-25-2006 07:18 PM

Nope.

rollinchp 08-28-2006 08:42 PM

anyone else have a HHR with flames on it ? Or have the 1949 suburban emblems on the side of the hood ?

rollinchp 09-02-2006 01:04 PM

well flames are on it, style 1 from dansdecals on ebay. They actually look really good, except for a few bubbles from being a amateur myself. They were pretty hard to put on, but its a done deal, will be posting pics for all shortly !!!

nfboy 09-02-2006 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by rollinchp
well flames are on it, style 1 from dansdecals on ebay. They actually look really good, except for a few bubbles from being a amateur myself. They were pretty hard to put on, but its a done deal, will be posting pics for all shortly !!!

You can remove air bubbles by carefully piercing it with a pin and then pressing the area down. Won't be perfect but would be a lot less noticable than a bubble. Use a very sharp fine pin...don't make a noticeable hole.