Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Painted CGS & Coil/Fuse Covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:25 PM

Talking Painted CGS & Coil/Fuse Covers

Another day and a few more mods for "Smoke" and I'm pleased with how it all looks. I pulled off the CGS & the Coil & Fuse covers and painted them Sunburst Orange Metallic.

I didn't like the way the fuse cover came out when I did just the center, so I painted the whole thing and they both look much better. Used some stuff Mike from SoCalHHR's suggested on the plastic pieces called Bulldog Adhesion Promoter and that stuff worked great. It's available at Walmart for about $6.00 and was well worth the investment.

On the CGS, I took off the MAF sensor holder and sanded down the CGS with very wet 400 grit sandpaper. That removed any road gunk that was on it and cleaned up the part where the hood strut was rubbing before I adjusted the CGS support. I then cleaned it with alcohol and proceeded to paint it. Kinda tricky to paint unless you can suspend it from something and walk around it when painting, but I took my time and was able to prop it up so I could get at it completely.

I'm very pleased with how everything turned out, but think I'll get some fuse covers for it to break up all the orange, but I'll look at it for a bit and decide later if I want to go that route. Below are the photos I just took so you can see how cool it turned out.

CGS Intake

Name:  PaintUnderHood002.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  95.1 KB

Coil & Fuse Covers

Name:  PaintUnderHood010.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  88.5 KB

Close up of Fuse Cover (Grandson gave me the decal...he really did )

Name:  PaintUnderHood005.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  69.1 KB

All 3 Pieces Together

Name:  PaintUnderHood012.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  107.3 KB
Old 11-06-2006, 05:27 PM

all you need now is a shiny valve cover and your engine compartment will be "pimped"

i like the personalized decal on the cgs the most
Old 11-06-2006, 05:38 PM

Look's great Deb. That valve cover is screaming to be orange too.!
Old 11-06-2006, 06:04 PM

I was thinking the same thing about the valve cover too. Another day...another dollar. What I may do is to hunt down the polishing wheel for my dremel and try and shine it up a little. Gonna take some sanding too because the covers are far from perfect, but I'm sure GM didn't figure we'd be pulling the stock turtle off there and replacing it with something that actually shows them.

The decal on the CGS is one of two that I bought on eBay. It's the same design that Tony "Smoke" Stewart has on his race cars.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:38 PM

I like the Home Depot raceing. Looks great Deb
Old 11-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Founding Member

Lookin' good! Time to update your Avatar again!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:26 PM

Looking good Deb now all you need is my Home depot Paint job on it!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:35 PM

umm where'd u get the orange paint?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by EL_REY
umm where'd u get the orange paint?
I bought it at the dealer. They pulled the paint code up for my HHR and ordered me a couple spray cans of Sunburst Orange Metallic. Took about a week for it to come in and it was @ $11.00 a can, but I'm glad I spent the money, because it looks even better in person than it does in the photos.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
I bought it at the dealer. They pulled the paint code up for my HHR and ordered me a couple spray cans of Sunburst Orange Metallic. Took about a week for it to come in and it was @ $11.00 a can, but I'm glad I spent the money, because it looks even better in person than it does in the photos.
so for the covers, id say you didnt use a whole can did you? cuz i dont have the intake yet; wont get it for a while.. so im guessing 1 can i enough?

Quick Reply: Painted CGS & Coil/Fuse Covers