Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Appearance/Modifications Discussions (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/)
-   -   Rear Lift Gate (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/rear-lift-gate-45498/)

raffmanlt 03-23-2013 10:26 PM

Rear Lift Gate

Has anyone found a way to modify lift gate so it opens further (higher)? I load and unload my scooter a lot and when I forget to duck or stay bent over I bump my head. Was wondering if slightly longer gas struts would do it?

firemangeorge 03-24-2013 07:16 AM

If you tried longer struts you would likely have to change the mount pivot points.
Longer ones wouldn't let the gate close if mounted to the stock pivots.

raffmanlt 03-24-2013 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 697736)
If you tried longer struts you would likely have to change the mount pivot points.
Longer ones wouldn't let the gate close if mounted to the stock pivots.

Yeah figured that might be the case,plus when I looked at it today - it looked like it won't go much further without hitting roof and thats assuming the hinges will swing further up. Unless someone says they tried it and it didn't work I will play with it someday to see if it is feasible.

sleeper 03-25-2013 01:05 AM

imo, you'd almost need sissor hinges that would allow it to swing away from body & then go higher..

JerseyJames 03-25-2013 11:58 AM

Scooter? Electric scooter?

raffmanlt 03-25-2013 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JerseyJames (Post 697930)
Scooter? Electric scooter?

Yes electric mobility scooter, I'm a disabled vet. I am very pleased how it fits in so I don't have to have an ugly external carrier. Just lay down steering and seat and hhr is perfect height that I can just lift front in and set wheel on bumper then pick up other end and roll it in . Works great.

JerseyJames 03-26-2013 09:29 PM

yeah, put my wife's electric wheel chair in the back of mine. Bit heavier, use a set of fold up ramps. drive it up while standing on the ground. Don't worry about the noggin, but keep a careful eye on where the legs/feet are, just in case of falling wheelchairs...;)

Snoopy 03-26-2013 11:56 PM

raffmanlt......

Check to make sure the hatch is rising all the way. If the gas lift struts start going bad, they will not lift the door correctly.

Just noticed today my hatch misses opening all the way by about 3 inches. Found out by bumping my head:grrrr::dizzy:

Guess I need to replace them.

raffmanlt 03-27-2013 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 698249)
raffmanlt......

Check to make sure the hatch is rising all the way. If the gas lift struts start going bad, they will not lift the door correctly.

Just noticed today my hatch misses opening all the way by about 3 inches. Found out by bumping my head:grrrr::dizzy:

Guess I need to replace them.

Thanks snoopy, yeah I've pushed it up as far as it will go. I suspect my ride height is probably 2 or 3 inches lower than non ss. That would be enough to keep me from hitting it.