Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Appearance/Modifications Discussions (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/)
-   -   Running Board Removal (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/running-board-removal-29986/)

sleeper 06-01-2010 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 'Lil Red Wagon (Post 469460)
(cut)
My next step is installing Cobalt turbo coupe rear springs to level out the stance. From what I've seen on this site it's not all that complicated.

It's easy as changing a tire to install & I know I love the difference in handling / appearance & etc..

Been on 08/09 'balt SS/TC rear springs for good while now.. :thumb:

'Lil Red Wagon 06-02-2010 11:30 AM

Hi DSNYVRZE, I'm not taking them off permanently, just to give me a little more room to get at the clips that hold the black factory caps on then I can drill holes for the custom caps and mount them onto the factory running boardsd. After assessing the risk of doing damage I've decided to just take the extra time and unclip the black caps from under the lip and drill with them installed, the design engineers definately didn't want the average "Joe" taking them out any time soon. Thanks for the inquirery, sorry I can't help.

'Lil Red Wagon 06-02-2010 06:15 PM

Sleeper, did you have to get the rear re-aligned after letting the springs settle in? And where are the headlight re-aiming screws on my '07? Thanks in advance. I'm gettin' this set up for cruisin' this year at "Hot August Nights" week in Reno. My bro-in-law has an '08 panel in the "Sunburst Orange", I think I'm winning the race for custom add-ons but he doesn't tell me everything he's doing. I'll find out when we roll into town the end of July.
This show in Reno is one real "Street Rod" (anywhere from 3-5K rods) overload and a lot of fun.

DSNYCRZE 06-09-2010 05:29 AM

Were you able to figure out how to remove the black step cap from the running boards? I was lucky to acquire a set from the wrecking yard but are the wrong color. I would like to remove this cap before painting it. Do they simply just 'pop' off/unsnap or are they double-side taped in? Thanks for your help.

'Lil Red Wagon 06-09-2010 10:44 PM

I did a permanent cap replacement with Billet Aluminum Polished caps so I got a trim removal kit from Harbor Freight and pried the black caps off. They didn't come off easily and almost all of the retainers snapped off. If you have them off the HHR you can get at the clips from the bottom side and compress them with long curved needle nosed pliers. If you doo break them you can always revert to 3M automotive double sided moulding tape to re-apply them. They will stay in place that way and save you the cost of replacement. That's how I ended up putting the new aliminum caps on and they are solid.

sleeper 06-14-2010 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by 'Lil Red Wagon (Post 469627)
Sleeper, did you have to get the rear re-aligned after letting the springs settle in? And where are the headlight re-aiming screws on my '07? Thanks in advance. I'm gettin' this set up for cruisin' this year at "Hot August Nights" week in Reno. My bro-in-law has an '08 panel in the "Sunburst Orange", I think I'm winning the race for custom add-ons but he doesn't tell me everything he's doing. I'll find out when we roll into town the end of July.
This show in Reno is one real "Street Rod" (anywhere from 3-5K rods) overload and a lot of fun.

'Lil Red Wagon'-

No re-alignment was necessary.. I only dropped 1".....

If you want lower use the earlier SS/SC 'balt springs....

Headlight adjusters are under the hood, look at the rad support & on each side there is a small opeinin for an allen wrench to get to the adjusters.. Simple as pie.. Mine was pretty close...

Good luck with the Mod Competition wit yer bro-in-law :thumb:

Roger hhr 09-10-2018 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 'Lil Red Wagon (Post 469343)
Thanks for the info I'll get under there ans see what happens.

Okay, the questions on running boards seem to be striking some nerves. I'm a newer member who happens to need a little help removing the running boards on my HHR. A deer hit me in the side and now i have to get the front fender/quarter panel removed to get the last fender bolt. I can't stand seeing my baby with a black eye and caved in.( Dented mildly). But missing her headlight none the less.

RJ_RS_SS_350 09-10-2018 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Roger hhr (Post 851878)
Okay, the questions on running boards seem to be striking some nerves. I'm a newer member who happens to need a little help removing the running boards on my HHR. A deer hit me in the side and now i have to get the front fender/quarter panel removed to get the last fender bolt. I can't stand seeing my baby with a black eye and caved in.( Dented mildly). But missing her headlight none the less.

Hi Roger, :welcomewagon: to the forums!!

I believe there are a couple of tutorials in the how-to forum for installing. You should be able to piece together the info you need from those.

Posting in a thread that has been dead for 8 years may not get much attention.

donbrew 09-10-2018 10:31 PM

For instance the thread linked in post #4.