Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Adding Factory Sub Woofer to Stock HHR Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Talking Adding Factory Sub Woofer to Stock HHR Radio

OK, I am sure this is out there somewhere on this site but I have searched and not found this particular question.... Sorry if I bore y'all...

I have a 2007 HHR with the Radio option just below the premium. This means it has a CAT button for XMS and reads MP3 format CDs as well as regular CDs. It does NOT have the factory Subwoofer. (There is one model lower than this that does not read MP3s)

What I want to know is
--"just how reasonable is it for me to add an HHR GM Factory Subwoofer??"

I purchased a used HHR factory Subwoofer and Pioneer Amp assembly on the web from someone who upgraded. No harness was included in my purchase; I can see no harness the "Woofer Well" on the driver rear (not surprisingly).[/INDENT]
I found the pinouts for the Pioneer AMP (#15832186 GM-2157ZG) on this site: (Yay)
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/stock-amp-wiring-diagram-15426/

Sooo... My question is this: Can I attach my Factory Head Unit to this Pioneer AMP to drive the subwoofer? Do I just run the subwoofer from the AMP or do I send all signals to the AMP and then back to all speakers including Door and post speakers?

I am computer hardware guy, Audio is fairly new to me but all the basic skills are there.

-p

---MODS so far:
- PROGRESS SWAY BAR (Do it: its a huge improvement in exit ramps!!)
- Leather Wrapped Steering wheel swap; Added Radio Buttons.
- CGS Air Intake. (got about 1.5 MPG increase in efficiency)
- Current Mileage: 27.2 MPG 90% city driving 2.2L Stick
Old 07-12-2008, 12:53 AM

Hello,
I was luckey and got my Sub woofer/amp off ebay at a very good price with the wire harness.
Ill install mine later this summer proly.
Im gonna dissconect the speaker wires and run them to the amp then back out. To tell you the truth I havent done it sooner because a fellow worker has the factory installed amp and sub woofer and I wasnt that impressed.
See the 2 wire diagrams needed below.....

I will also make a special harness for mine since I have a P.A.L. installed and keep the stock wires intact.

I`m stll looking for a stock ebony pioneers woofer grill :)

Cheers !
Craig~

Name:  IMGP2553.jpg
Views: 12779
Size:  143.4 KB

AMP WD

RADIO WD

Name:  Radio.gif
Views: 15675
Size:  72.5 KB
Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 AM

Factory Amp to factory sub

Did you ever get this to work. I went and bought the sub and amp for $50 but I do not see how the sub hooks up to the amp without this wiring harness. I think I mightve made a mistake by buying this. All I wanted to do was run the amp from the head unit and have the amp run to the sub only. The amp doesnt seem be able to be able to be hooked without some sort of customized wire harness.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:49 AM

Yeeah.. thats a fact. I got the amp sittin at my feet now and I just went and installed the OEM sub with a Polk Audio PA-330 amp. Lil tweakin and possibly a port put into the OEM sub box and it'll be sweet. Also got some Alpine SPS-6xx series 6.5" speakers in the doors on the stock head unit.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 AM

adding factory sub woofer to stok HHR radio

I installed 2 6.5" pioneer 4 ways in the back doors and 2 sony xplod 3 ways in the front doors. It is definitely missing the base so I am going to have to buy an amp and hook up this factory sub. Are you using a adapter to hook up your amp? Is your head unit factory too?

Last edited by billeesy; 07-06-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by billeesy
I installed 2 6.5" pioneer 4 ways in the back doors and 2 sony xplod 3 ways in the front doors. It is definitely missing the base so I am going to have to buy an amp and hook up this factory sub. Are you using a adapter to hook up your amp? Is your head unit factory too?
Mmm.. I'm gonna be running it either from a line converter that I have or the Pac-Audio deck harness kit I ordered, depending on what I feel like. I'm also going to be running another amp for the door speakers. Likely going to go with a Polk 4 channel amp later for those. ATM I got a spiders web of auxiliary connections to run everything off my MP3 player and a switch hooked to the remote line to turn on/off my subamp. =D

Part: PAC AOEM-GM1416a GM Add an Amplifier Adapter
http://www.autosoundcentral.com/

Decent price.

Also, as for the sub amp.. one of a few ways. Get a mono block that is stable to 1 ohm ~150w and hook it up with both sub voice coils parallel or one that will push about 150 watts thru 4 ohms and hook them series, or get a 2 channel amp and hook each coil to a channel. Will need either a ohmmeter to find out which wires are paired or just randomly plug em in to the amp till you get something.

Last edited by nacorona; 07-06-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Felt like it needed additional info
Old 07-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Wow, so your running your amp from your mp3 player? Never thought of that. I knew I had to buy that converter/adapter pac aoem GM1416A but now I am considering buying this amp http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-XPA6100-600...item5ae11b984b

It is the DUAL XPA6100 600 WATT MONO-BLOCK CAR AMPLIFIER+AMP KIT
Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 PM

Wow, so your running your amp from your mp3 player? Never thought of that. I knew I had to buy that converter/adapter pac aoem GM1416A but now I am considering buying this amp http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-XPA6100-600...item5ae11b984b

It is the DUAL XPA6100 600 WATT MONO-BLOCK CAR AMPLIFIER+AMP KIT
Never heard of the amp maker before, but the specs look decent. Whatever amp you decide to go with yo. I would suggest however ya do it use the adapter kit already mentioned as it allows for the preamp outputs without splicing any lines and also has passthrough for the chime sounds and provides the remote output needed for the amp.

Yeah, the MP3 thing I got going on is odd. It works, but it is kinda unwieldy. Definitely in the works though is replacing that stock sub with a Kicker CVT8 that i spotted. Same size, will fit the enclosure, and will take what my amp can kick out with room to spare. Plus should sound better.. almost anything will. lol

Oh yeah just saw the question I overlooked, yeah my deck is stock. It pumps though! Its the one that has optional XM but I don't have that part installed.

Last edited by nacorona; 07-07-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Forgetfulness
Old 07-08-2011, 06:10 AM

I thought about the amp blowing the stock sub too. What a waste of money if it does. When installing this PAC converter, am I going to have to disconnect all the speakers from the head unit and connect them to the PAC converter? Or is it just plug and play? meaning do I just plug it into an already vacant spot in the head unit? I just have never messed with the head units of my cars ever since I tried to install a new unit once and then the car wouldnt start and had to get a tow and pay someone to fix it. So Im nervous about messing with the wires in there.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:47 PM

I thought about the amp blowing the stock sub too. What a waste of money if it does. When installing this PAC converter, am I going to have to disconnect all the speakers from the head unit and connect them to the PAC converter? Or is it just plug and play? meaning do I just plug it into an already vacant spot in the head unit? I just have never messed with the head units of my cars ever since I tried to install a new unit once and then the car wouldnt start and had to get a tow and pay someone to fix it. So Im nervous about messing with the wires in there.
And now we are on equal footing. I haven't gotten nearly as far as that. I'm thinking I'm going to have to take a week off from work to blitzkrieg the remainder of the installation on my car.

To the best of the research I've performed so far.. it looks like (and I'm 99.99% confident) there isn't any addtional ports to use on the back of the HU, it would appear there is a speaker pass-through configuration. What this means is that the harness connector will need to be disconnected from the HU and plugged into the adapter while the adapter will plug into the then vacated spot on the HU.

If you search for that adapter part number on this BB there is a link somewheres that gets you a picture of the unit, you'll see the RCA outputs which, if I reckon correctly is an integrated line converter for pre-amp signal levels, as well as a few free floating wires for various connections. One thing to keep in mind, you'll want to make sure that either you use the RCA out to connect to the amplifier(s) or tap off the speaker connection on the output side of the adapter, if I'm not mistaken, to ensure you do NOT end up with an amplified chime. That could hurt. I would recommend using the RCA's.

Quick Reply: Adding Factory Sub Woofer to Stock HHR Radio