Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Amateur radio (ham radio) installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 AM

Amateur radio (ham radio) installation

Don't have my HHR YET but am doing my research and wondered how other hams are installing their radios? Probably just a FT 8800R, have the separartion kit, to start with but may put a HF rig in later.
I'd love to see pictures of your installation!
Thanks,
73's
Sarge
Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 AM

Ok folks 7,700 registered members and no amateur radio operators
Actually I now have in my drive-way a '08 Shadow Edition! LOVE IT!!
Sarge
Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 PM

I'm a H radio operator, Sarge, but I'm just using a Kenwood HT right now. Thinking about putting my cool blue vhf/uhf in it. sure there are others out there, so I'll be watching this post!
Mike KD4HLH in South Carolina
Old 07-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Hey Sarge! Just got my HHR yesterday and have been thinking the same thing! I may have to upgrade to something with a remote head so I can hide the unit under the seat, making for a cleaner install.

73s,
Mark, KF6VXM
Old 07-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by SargeRN
Actually I now have in my drive-way a '08 Shadow Edition! LOVE IT!!
Sarge
Breaker Broke:

What color is your Shadow? Mine looks green, does your's? Tell us about it in the thread about its color HERE

Comeback:
Old 02-20-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by SargeRN
Don't have my HHR YET but am doing my research and wondered how other hams are installing their radios? Probably just a FT 8800R, have the separartion kit, to start with but may put a HF rig in later.
I'd love to see pictures of your installation!
Thanks,
73's
Sarge
so did you end up installing it? I am wanting to install my dual band mobile and have been trying to figure out where to put it, where to tap the power and where/how to mount an antenna. I bought a lip mount to put on the rear hatch but I am not totally against drillin the roof for a more low profile antenna than the 5 ft comet I already have.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:45 PM

I'm a ham but my wife won't let me install a radio in "her" HHR so I can't be a lot of help. Good luck and if you do an install please post some pictures. If it looks good maybe I can convince her to let me put one in. No Pressure
Old 02-21-2009, 01:12 AM

The dash-top storage area looks like the perfect spot for a remote head while the lower part of the hatch sides would be a great spot for a Comet mount and a Little Tarheel II screwdriver. The roof rack rails might offer some mounting ability with a little ingenuity.

73s! KD5FHW
Old 02-22-2009, 06:29 PM

I changed out the factory stereo for a single din sized unit so I am thinking of installing the radio under the stereo where there is now a storage pocket. I will have to make some modifications of the dash kit to make the radio fit in the opening if I do decide on that option. I dont want to loose the upper storage area as I use it a lot for other stuff.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 AM

OK here is what I finally did, sorry no pics. Just under the center dash box is a fairly flat spot that the remote head of my FT 8800R fits nicely, easy access, fairly easy to see, etc. I then routed the cable through the dash box, unscrew, out and down behind the console, re screw. The main body of the radio is, OK ready for this, ZIP TIED to the passenger seat frame. Route power cable as you wish. Been like this since I got the HHR and has given me no problems at all. Antenna is a Diamond dual band on a 5" magnet mount, again no problem, even at speeds "above the posted legal limit"!
Now there is one "difficulty" if you are using some type of computer programming to program the radio, AFTER your initial set-up, the port can be a little hard to get to. And I DO have to program frequently as I travel A LOT, and never sure where I'm going to be every 13 weeks or so, but that is another story unto its self.
Now I'm studying the vehicle for placement of a HF radio and antenna. Radio will more that likely be a FT-857 the antenna and mount ???

Sarge

Quick Reply: Amateur radio (ham radio) installation