Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Another audio upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:05 PM

Another audio upgrade ?

Ok, I've been lurking around here for weeks. I have an 06 LT base stereo with 3 dead door speakers and almost no sound out of tweeters. I've read almost the entire audio section and would like to clarify some things. (Will be doing this upgrade myself on a budget - hope to stay around $250-$300. Will not be adding get a sub.)
1. I've already ordered the adaptors w wire adaptors.
2. Can I use existing factory wires or do I need to rewire everything?
3. Can I add decent speakers without adding an amp and not damage the speakers?
4. Is it ok to change speakers now and HU later? (I understand it will need programmed at dealer.)
5. Specs I need on HU for speakers? (Ex. listed below) I don't need anything fancy, just capable of pushing the speakers, auxiliary in, maybe Bluetooth and USB but not necessary.
6. Aline SPS-610 rear and SPS-610c in the front - replacing tweeters or is this too much w factory HU and no amp?
(Sonic suggested SPS-610 front and JBL P662 in the rear - why the different brands and both 2 ways?)

Thanks for the help and advice.

I do understand that most is preference, which I don't have any knowledge. I just want to know that everything is going to be compatable.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Technical Moderator

IF, you want to keep your HU, you can just replace the speakers with like impedance speakers. No programing involved. Unless the wires got messed up somehow.

The stock HU is not going to overwhelm any speakers. It's amplifying that will.

After that your reading is as good as mine.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:14 PM

Been There Before

Get the dash kit for it if your installing a single DIN radio.

Get a wiring harness for the new stereo
The wiring harness will work on any aftermarket stereo,just right year make and model.

Get the speaker mounts and speaker harnesses.

They are worth every penny to have.

The mounts are worth it,the speaker harnesses are little clips with positive and negative speaker clips on the end ,but it is nice not to have to cut the ends off the stock plastic clips that plug into the stock. speakers, makes for a worry free connection as well.

You see the speakers are the mounts when they are stock, by getting the aftermarket mounts you gain about 1 " of mounting depth as well as like a 1 min install,providing you mount the speakers to the mounts as before you install them.

These are the ones a bought off of ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390710940280?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 04-18-2015, 12:18 AM

Stereo problems is what brought me to this site all those years ago now.

The stock stereo speaker plugs on these 'newer' Chevy's probably will not work with your aftermarket speakers. When I replaced my speakers I tapped into the wire a few inches from the stock plug then wrapped the original plug with black electrical tape for just in case I should turn up a decent shape set of genuine HHR speakers {or close relative from some other GM vehicle that will fit}

I put compatible wire lugs on the tapped in wires. I added several inches of speaker wire and bound that up with more electrical tape just because I could.

The speaker adaptors you seem to have ordered are quite nice {I used similar ones in my PT Cruiser} but for the HHR I made some out of some left over 1/2" plastic I used when I built my router table. I used this material simply because I had it on hand. I've seen others that have use MDF, plywood, and even just plain old pine boards to mount their speakers in their HHR's. {and other vehicles}

I've had a few different stereos mounted in my dash and several different brands of speakers. I have a set of the cheapest 8 ohm speakers Walmart sells in it now. They were two way coaxial speakers but the tweeters in them bother my ears so I clipped the wire to them.

The stock tweeters in the door pillars is plenty enough highs for me.

The front door speakers are 4 ohm and the rears are 8 ohm when they come from the factory. I think that is because they just split the door pillar tweeter off the same wire that goes to the front door speakers.

Like I said I'm running all 8 ohms and have been for a few years now with no problems at all.

Last edited by Grizzly old man; 04-18-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: because its fun
Old 04-18-2015, 01:44 PM

Please see the posts I made here about how I installed my Pioneer double din head unit (GPS, MP3, Videos, B/U camera, etc). There were a couple issues, make sure to get the correct adapters, you'll have to cut out the back of the plastic box the unit slides into which is not an issue as it fastens in on the front, make sure to solder ALL WIRE connections and use shrink wrap tube so nothing comes loose. If you go with aftermarket head units, all brands have forums where the "experts" cover everyone's issues such as video playback bypass when moving so my dogs can watch videos, etc.

In the end I spent about $900 including the B/U wireless camera and the unit makes driving fun, even in Southern CA! No programming was required as the adapter(s) tricked the car's brain into thinking the sound system was stock.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by oldracer
Please see the posts I made here about how I installed my Pioneer double din head unit (GPS, MP3, Videos, B/U camera, etc). There were a couple issues, make sure to get the correct adapters, you'll have to cut out the back of the plastic box the unit slides into which is not an issue as it fastens in on the front, make sure to solder ALL WIRE connections and use shrink wrap tube so nothing comes loose. If you go with aftermarket head units, all brands have forums where the "experts" cover everyone's issues such as video playback bypass when moving so my dogs can watch videos, etc.

In the end I spent about $900 including the B/U wireless camera and the unit makes driving fun, even in Southern CA! No programming was required as the adapter(s) tricked the car's brain into thinking the sound system was stock.
Could of linked?