Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Cheap and easy door speaker replace tutorial w/ repurpose hack & pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 PM

Cheap and easy door speaker replace tutorial w/ repurpose hack & pics

First, let's remove the door panel. You need a T-30 torx bit, a small screw driver, and a panel tool or non marring pry bar etc.

Pry off this little cover and remove the torx screw.
Name:  DSC_0014_zpse3faadcc.jpg
Views: 1876
Size:  36.5 KB
Under the little plastic cover there are two more torx screws.
Name:  DSC_0015_zpsb629e1ad.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  17.0 KB
Pry this little plastic rivet all the way out.
Name:  DSC_0016_zpsbe53c61c.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  29.9 KB
Start working out the panel fasteners. Some may come out with the grommets like this one did. I separated them once out before reinstalling.
Name:  DSC_0017_zps732e0a3f.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  22.3 KB
These three parts (two parts on all doors besides drivers) must be carefully detached. The first pic is of them still attached and the second is detached, showing where they attach/detach. The door handle cable is a simple removal at this time as well.
Name:  DSC_0018_zps73cf5dc9.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  33.2 KB
Name:  DSC_0019_zps7c72e6db.jpg
Views: 1675
Size:  30.0 KB
A 7mm socket worked to remove the screw holding the speaker in.
Name:  DSC_0020_zps27678afc.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  27.0 KB
Speaker is out, I cut the wires because I am not reusing the little harness. Now I cut out all the little supports that hold the speaker in place using a multi tool, a think a hack saw would work. Probably a few ways to skin this cat.
Name:  DSC_0022_zps877a62de.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  53.5 KB
Speaker is removed from housing.
Name:  DSC_0023_zpsec4983a0.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  46.4 KB
My new cheapo speaker from Walmart fit perfectly in the opening. I left the foam ring in for a little vibration dampening.
Name:  DSC_0024_zpsadd32bd5.jpg
Views: 1735
Size:  31.3 KB
Zip ties from that I had on hand.
Name:  DSC_0025_zpscf6d6cf5.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  34.6 KB
Zip ties tightened and snipped off.
Name:  DSC_0026_zps96bb05a1.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  39.2 KB
I used these and they worked well.
Name:  DSC_0028_zpsa35a6964.jpg
Views: 1688
Size:  26.4 KB
Carefully reinstall the panel. The piece in this next pic must be taken apart and put in one piece at a time like shown.
Name:  DSC_0029_zps0109126e.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  43.5 KB

Some tips...

Take your time, the first one will take awhile, then you will get the hang of it.

Roll the window down .

In order for the panel to fit right along the window seal area, the large lip on the inside upper part of the door panel must slide in behind the metal clips that are spaced along the upper part of the door near the window seal.
Locate the lip and the clips referred to so you know what your trying to do.

I was able to reuse all the panel fasteners, even some that broke a little.

Well, that's all, hope this helps someone and by the way, what an improvement in sound over the OEM speakers!

Total cost $65 for 4 speakers and a few wire connectors.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Technical Moderator

I think somebody else has posted pretty much the same thing, but your pics are better IIRC. I did the same thing, but used real sheet metal screws instead of zip ties.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 PM

Haha awesome! I did the same thing and yeah my pics weren't as good cause I just took a pic of finished product. I got plenty of back lash cause I didn't make some outta mdf wood or custom fitted lol zip ties are a mans best friend. I love it
Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bigpatshhr
Haha awesome! I did the same thing and yeah my pics weren't as good cause I just took a pic of finished product. I got plenty of back lash cause I didn't make some outta mdf wood or custom fitted lol zip ties are a mans best friend. I love it
I looked at some mdf wood and that looked like too much work, or more specifically unnecessary work. The title does explicitly state cheap and easy. Glad you can appreciate keeping it simple. I guess that's why I couldn't find your post when I searched the forum, it wasn't that warmly welcomed and got buried maybe.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:03 AM

My speakers quit some times the passengers door will work depends on the temp the tweeters always work. I want to replace my speakers with cheap wal-mart speakers. I'm a little worried about taking the door panel off the clips seem like they will be a challenge. Anyone have any advice on what to use to pop the clips loose. Will a large flat head screwdriver work? I welcome any advice. I have to do it soon I can't drive without music much longer. The tweeters are driving me crazy!!! LOL
Old 03-29-2014, 02:39 PM

what size are the speakers you used
nice write up by the way
Old 03-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Rob0067
My speakers quit some times the passengers door will work depends on the temp the tweeters always work. I want to replace my speakers with cheap wal-mart speakers. I'm a little worried about taking the door panel off the clips seem like they will be a challenge. Anyone have any advice on what to use to pop the clips loose. Will a large flat head screwdriver work? I welcome any advice. I have to do it soon I can't drive without music much longer. The tweeters are driving me crazy!!! LOL
A screwdriver will work if you are careful. A plastic putty knife is better. There is a tool made for the job, but too expensive for one time use.

Once you get 1 or 2 popped fingers will do the rest.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:18 PM

Nice write up
Old 10-30-2015, 03:58 PM

Use a windshield ice scraper to pop out the pins holding the door panel on. Cheap and you likely have one in the car already.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:42 PM
JCC

PLEASE give the name and cost of the speakers (price per pair of speakers) you used, as I never saw any for under 30.00. Were they on sale or did you get them on line? What was the name, part number and cost of the wire adapters you used?

YES, Nice write up, as all info is good info, PLUS the add-ons that we get from the members! Like using a windshield ice scraper AND/OR a plastic putty knife to start to remove the panel. ... and let me tell you those door panels are on to stay and no easy way to get them off. YES Sir, don't worry about those babies failing off. Only one way to take them off, start at the bottom, pop some off, then get your fingers in between it and the door and start working your way around the door... YES you have to pull hard... HARDER if it's never been off before.

The way you re-used the old frames and took off the old speakers is the best way to mount the new ones. I took off the foam ring and cut (filed) down the outside lip, as the speakers I got would not fit inside as the stock/ original ones did. But I like the way you did it and will try it next time. I got some after market mounting rings which were just flat rings to mount the new speaker but I didn't like them. Re-using the original ones works better with less work. YES nothing wrong with them ZIP TIES.

NOTE: Now don't forget those old speakers... there is use in them still! Take them apart and get the round magnet out. It may have a metal piece attached to it, that can be tapped offed as most time it's just glued on. Now you have a large, good magnet with many uses. One I like is to glue it to the bottom of a baking pan, cover it with cloth / rubber and you got yourself a large magnetic parts holder. Well is this not what the stores are doing and charging lots for little... give it a try... WHAT YOU GOT TO LOSE?

I asked a friend, "What is with those cheap speakers going out all the time and this has been going on for years." His reply... It's a GM thing! Well what can I add, replace them and move on....

Quick Reply: Cheap and easy door speaker replace tutorial w/ repurpose hack & pics