Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

GROM Audio for HHR?

Old 01-13-2015, 06:27 AM

GROM Audio for HHR?

Hello All,

I'm a newbie to the site, as I just bought my 2007 HHR LT in November. In my previous vehicle - a 2004 Mazda MPV - I had installed a Grom Audio interface that allowed my to control USB devices (thumbdrives, iPods, etc.) and use my cellphone hands-free via Bluetooth through the radio controls. It's one of the few features of my old van that I miss! My HHR only has the standard XM-ready/MP3-capable CD player with an AUX input - no USB interface - and quite frankly, it sucks at reading CDs, generating a myriad of disc read errors in cold weather. The vehicle apparently doesn't have factory-installed XM, so essentially I'm stuck listening to local radio <shudder>. I discovered that Grom Audio does make a GM-specific interface, but they never rated it for the HHR. Their tech support asked me several question about the stereo in my vehicle, and concluded that it should be compatible. It looks and behaves virtually identically to the Impala stereo of the same era, which they do support. With this info in hand, I tracked down a used GROM-USB2P-GM interface on eBay, and attempted an install.

Unfortunately, unlike the install I did on my old Mazda, it wasn't as simple as connecting the device and powering up. I've been unable to get it to work, and I'm not convinced the interface itself is the problem. I'm stumped as to what might be preventing it from working. Their technical support suggested that my HHR might have XM installed and not activated - the Grom Audio interface can't function with the XM connected at all - but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. I'd rather not be pulling body panels in the dead of winter - plastics and -20ēC temperatures don't go well together - so I can't be absolutely sure there's no XM module installed, but a) the build codes don't show an XM install, b) there's no second antenna installed, and c) pressing the BAND button on the stereo only shows AM and FM (based on other forum posts, I'm of the impression that the XM band should show up if the XM module is connected, even without a subscription).

Ideally, I'd like to get this thing working (since I already have it), but if it can't be done, so be it. Has anybody attempted a Grom Audio installation on their HHR? Were you successful? Are there significant wiring differences between the HHR stereo and those in the supported vehicles (Avalanche, Equinox, Impala, Monte Carlo, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe) that would prevent it from functioning? Should I just dump the GROM and try an iSimple Connect interface (which appears to be a comparable device, but is listed as HHR-compatible)? Any insights would be appreciated!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Technical Moderator

It's cat button not the band.
Do you have the sharkfin
Do you have On Star rear view mirror
The XM is mounted under The rear quarter panel right side IIRC.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was of the impression that the CAT button only selected the XM category once you switched to XM band. Regardless, pressing the CAT button returns the ubiquitous "XM Feature" prompt and nothing else. From what I've read here, that's a typical response when there isn't an XM module connected/installed, and just implies that the head is capable of XM integration. I'm new to this, though, so I could be wrong...

At any rate, in answer to your other questions/points:

I should also have mentioned before:

I can post pics of the stereo or provide a VIN if need be, but from what I've found online, it's pretty much the stock stereo install for a 2007 model HHR (built in September 2006).
                  Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 AM
                  Administrator

My 2007 LS has the Pioneer premium sound system with the sub and amp, and XM radio capable, I don't have the shark fin style antennae like the On-Star but a flat 2 inch by 2 1/2 inch antennae mounted on the roof at the rear center just above and forward of the rear hatch, from what I have read if that is not present then you don't have the XM option, is it possible that the radio was replaced at some time by a previous owner?
                  Old 01-13-2015, 10:41 AM
                  Technical Moderator

Sounds like no XM.

I don't know anything else about after market radio.
                  Old 01-13-2015, 10:48 AM
                  Administrator

It doesn't sound like it's an after market radio, just a possible EBay or wrecking yard replacement.

Perhaps CultureofOne could post a picture, or search the VIN in the VIN decoder just click on tools up on the header tool bar
                  Old 01-13-2015, 12:11 PM

The radio is original, as near as I can tell.

Previous owner made no mention of replacing the stereo, original owner was a snowbird who barely drove the vehicle (but he sprung for a lot of extras, but all of them appear to have been visual).

Incidentally, the VIN decoder link in the Tools returns "the requested page was not found."
                  Old 01-22-2015, 02:18 PM

So, back to the initial question: has anybody out there ever (successfully) attempted to connect a Grom Audio interface to their factory HHR stereo?
                  Old 01-22-2015, 05:43 PM
                  Technical Moderator

Seems like nobody ever heard of it.
                  Old 01-22-2015, 09:54 PM

Never heard of this, so I looked it up. Couple of thoughts. I noticed you plug this into the factory wiring harness correct? Well if the grom interface has a 12v switched wire in its harness that could be your problem. Unfortunately HHR doesnt have a 12v switched in the factory radio harness. Thats about all I can think of since it looks pretty stra8ght forward on the install. Hope you get it figured out.

Search this Thread
                  Quick Reply: GROM Audio for HHR?