Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

HHR wheel and clockspring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM

HHR wheel and clockspring?

May be a stupid question, but I've been searching the forums for a week and just want to be clear. I purchased a leather wheel with radio controls from an 09 cobalt SS. it appears to not have the horn plate included. My question is, do I have to remove the clock spring to swap wheels, should the clockspring be part of the repalcement steering wheel? I can't for the life of me determine if I I just need to disconnect the airbag from the clock spring, then pull the wheel with a puller. OR if I disconnect the airbag harness from the bag itself, disconnect the radio harness from the clock spring, and then pull the wheel? Wheel will be here in a week or so, just wanting to be prepaired.

Also, does anyone know if the color of the lights on the wheel of a cobalt are the same as the HHR?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Deceased

OK, I think this link will answer your questions, its a long one.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...steering+wheel
Old 07-23-2011, 05:55 PM

I've read through that a few times, its so fragmented I couldn't tell for sure. The wheel I bought is just the wheel with the controls (though I now have found out it does not even have the wire harness that connects the buttons to the clock spring, gotta love ebay!). Anyways, no horn plate either. I'm assuming the horn plate from my existing wheel will unbolt and attach to the Cobalt wheel? Then I just have to order up the wire harness for the radio controls, and can probably re-use my existing one for the cruise control until said harness can be purchased.

Just to clarify, when I pull the steering wheel off, is the clockspring attached to the wheel, or the steering column? Will the clockspring come unwound when I remove the wheel or is there a procedure to follow to lock it in place somehow? Forgive my ignorance, I've never had to remove a steering wheel with an airbag/clockspring in it before... Let me know, thanks!

This is what I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270761728327
Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM

when you remove the steering wheel the clockspring stays on the column. just need to unplug the harness from it before you remove the wheel it will not unwind just make sure the front wheels are stright and you don't turn the column with the steeing wheel off and you will be fine. the wirring can be changed later with out removing the wheel. as far as the horn ring its built into the clockspring if i remember right
Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 PM

thanks for the info, I feel better about it now. I should also unplug the two wires that go to the airbag from the clock spring right? Or is it easier to unplug them from the bag itself?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:01 PM

I would think its easier from the clock spring but you can do ether
Old 07-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module Coil Replacement Removal Procedure
Notice: The new SIR coil assembly will be centered. Improper alignment of the SIR coil assembly may damage the unit, causing an inflatable restraint malfunction.

1.Place the front wheels in the straight forward position with the steering wheel centered.
2. Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
3. Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement .
4. Remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
5. Remove the steering column covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement .

6. Disconnect the SIR coil harness connector from the SIR coil module assembly.
7. Disconnect the headlamp/turn signal harness connector from the SIR coil module assembly.
8. Disconnect the wiper/washer harness connector for the SIR coil module assembly.

9. Using a small flat-bladed tool, carefully pry the 2 retaining tabs away at the base of the SIR coil assembly and slide the SIR coil assembly off of the steering column.

10. Remove the headlamp/turn signal switch from the SIR coil module assembly. Refer to Turn Signal Multifunction Switch Replacement .
11. Remove the wiper washer switch from the SIR coil module assembly. Refer to Windshield Wiper and Washer Switch Replacement .

Installation Procedure
1. Install the wiper washer switch from the SIR coil module assembly. Refer to Windshield Wiper and Washer Switch Replacement .
2. Install the headlamp/turn signal switch to the SIR coil module assembly. Refer to Turn Signal Multifunction Switch Replacement .
3. Install the headlamp/turn signal switch screws.
4. Verify the SIR coil is in the center position. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Coil Centering .
5. Slide the SIR coil assembly on the steering column and snap into place.

6. Connect the wiper/washer harness connector to the SIR coil module assembly.
7. Connect the headlamp/turn signal harness connector to the SIR coil module assembly.
8. Connect the SIR coil harness connector to the SIR coil module assembly.
9. Install the steering column covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement .
10. Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .
11. Install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement .
12. Enable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling .
____

You only need to follow steps 1 thu 4 for the steeing wheel