Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Keeping factory satellite antenna with new head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 AM

Keeping factory satellite antenna with new head unit?

Has anyone upgraded their head unit and kept their satellite antenna? I want to replace my radio and not have to mount another sat antenna.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

I'm sure they have an adapter for that. I didn't add that module, haven't missed it yet.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Deceased

I'd say as long as you get the proper adapter harness to mate your new head unit to the GMOS-LAN-03 system, there would be no need to replace the auxiliary antenna. The XM antenna is already tuned and optimized for the vehicle, you just need the harness to allow the new head unit to "talk" to the XM module located in the back.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:30 PM

I just want to know if I can use the factory antenna with an aftermarket tuner for my new stereo. Where does the stock antenna plug into the tuner?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Deceased

That would be part of the adapter harness you'll have to get for the new aftermarket unit to "talk and interface" with the HHR. Just make sure when you order your harness, to specify to whomever you talk to, that you have the factory installed XM module and they'll be able to fix you up.

The stock antenna for the XM has no direct antenna plug like you'd see for the AM/FM antenna, the XM signal comes in from the wiring harness pigtail. The actual XM module is behind the interior trim in the right rear of the cargo compartment.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM

A Different Take

Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
I just want to know if I can use the factory antenna with an aftermarket tuner for my new stereo. Where does the stock antenna plug into the tuner?
The stock XM Antenna does not plug into the stock regular tuner in the center console.

The stock XM Antenna at the rear of the vehicle is only long enough to reach the stock XM/Digital receiver. The stock XM Receiver then outputs analog audio over a three wire shielded cable to the regular stock radio in the center console. At least that is how it is in my 2009.

843de previously mentioned that the stock XM/Digital receiver resides behind the right rear passenger seat sidewall trim. Hard to get to, IMO.

You will have to extend that XM Antenna coaxial cable to the front of the vehicle in some manner. I am assuming your new radio has an XM Antenna input. You will have to source the proper type of cable and connector ends to be successful.

Do not confuse the AM/FM antenna at the front of the vehicle with the XM Antenna.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM

ok nobody is understanding my question....has anyone used an aftermarket Sat tuner with the factory antenna using some sort of extension? This is not my first rodeo.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Deceased

OK, maybe we're on totally different pages here, sounds like we are.

If you have an aftermarket tuner with a built in stand alone XM module then you'll have to figure out a way to make up or find an extension cable to snake from the end of the factory coaxial cable in the R/R fender up to the tuner. Think Radio Shack as a source for that.

If you have an aftermarket tuner that is capable of controlling the factory XM module just like a factory head unit, then you'll need an adapter kit like I've linked below. Since as Sno White stated above, the output of the factory module is sent through a three wire pigtail from the GMOS-LAN harness.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS...6#overview-tab
Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM

yes...

I have used factory antenna with an aftermarket head unit/xm tuner. I had a Sirius equipped 2007 F150 and installed a aftermarket stereo/navigation unit which was XM and/or Sirius capable. I went with an XM tuner because I was already an XM subscriber with multiple tuners. The factory Sirius antenna plugged right in and worked flawlessly. I believe the plug type is universal, although has been updated from earlier models (mid/late 2000's?). I recently upgraded the XM antenna in my boat which has a 2004ish Sony head unit and XM tuner. The plug on the new antenna would not fit the older tuner so I had to order an adapter which also works flawlessly.....about $10 at the site linked below. They have all sorts of wiring and adapters to occomodate just about any scenario. You may have to run an extension to the dash, assuming you mount the aftermarket XM or Sirius tuner near the head unit. Hope this helps.

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/se...tenna-adapters
Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM

Factory xm antenna

Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
Has anyone upgraded their head unit and kept their satellite antenna? I want to replace my radio and not have to mount another sat antenna.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Keeping factory antenna
Yes metra makes a 17 foot antenna cable so you can hook up the factory xm antenna to a aftermarket radio. I just did it to my car.

Quick Reply: Keeping factory satellite antenna with new head unit?