Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Audio and Video (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/)
-   -   Instructions to install aftermarket Amp and Sub (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/instructions-install-aftermarket-amp-sub-2891/)

cshaberts 07-02-2006 04:53 PM

Instructions to install aftermarket Amp and Sub

I recently bought my HHR, and could not find any tips to install my aftermarket amp and sub, this post is to help every one else interested in installing your sound system with out changing out your head unit.

**I am a service consultant for a Chevy dealership, this process will work, and will not cause any damage to your car. Some of my info i got from service information on GM dealer world. (which wires to use)

1. Remove kick plate on passenger side front door.
2. Pull back carpet.
3. You will See factory wiring harness running under carpet, with razor blade, slice tape wrapped around wiring harness. (Be Careful not to cut wires!)
4. The wires your looking for are a light blue (-) and a dark blue (+).
5. Using Butt connector, tie in speaker wire to the dark blue and light blue factory wire. (note: there are two dark blue wires, use the skinny one)
6. Make sure to remember which wire you hook up as negative, i used the silver wire as - and the copper as +.

7. Next you want to hook up your remote wire, usually blue wire.
8. Pull off fuse cover, located on passenger side front, inner panel.
9. attach a spade to the end of remote wire.
10. put spade in empty fuse slot.
11. next you want to run speaker wire and remote under trim to rear of vehicle.

12. remove spare tire cover. Hook power cable to positive battery post, and negative to ground next to battery.

13. you will need an adapter that switches your speaker cable over to RCA.
14. connect your adapter to speaker wire run from front of vehicle.
15. after that it is self explanatory.

This job should take you between 45 min and two hours depending on your skill level, it is very easy and an inexperienced person can easily hook up. Don't pay any one, it is a wast of money. Hope this was help to you.

snova031 07-02-2006 09:50 PM

Good write up...but don't like the 'don't pay anyone, it's a waste of money'...

Not everyone is electrically inclined to tackle an amplifier installation...

If they were, I'd be out of a job :)

GDZHHR 07-03-2006 12:27 AM

Even with pics and a step-by-step, some things I'd rather have someone else to blame when something goes wrong!!:D

Speaking of pics, those would be nice with this good how-to!:poke:

Great 1st post and welcome to the forum!:thumb:

cshaberts 07-03-2006 09:02 PM

just trying to save people money, and it is fun to say that you did something your self. sorry

teech 07-04-2006 03:30 PM

so i don't need an amp kit?

good information for if I decided to do it myself or pay to have it done....that's one of the first things they'll charge me for...it'll be nice to say, "no the wires are here".

captain howdy 07-04-2006 03:44 PM

Of course you need an amp install kit. Unless you have wire, ends, and a fuse block already.

teech 07-04-2006 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Of course you need an amp install kit. Unless you have wire, ends, and a fuse block already.

translation: disregard this post. Go to a stereo shop.

XTRMEASURES 07-04-2006 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=yeshua63043]Even with pics and a step-by-step, some things I'd rather have someone else to blame when something goes wrong!!:D

i like that:thumb:

Gooch 07-08-2006 01:11 AM

How did you get through the firewall?

How did you guys get through the firewall with the power lead from the battery? Is there a double super secret spot, or did you just drill? If you drilled, where? I have installed several amps in my life, but never in my new car... I am experiencing a little "pucker factor" :barf:. Thanks in advance for your help!

SoCalHHR 07-08-2006 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gooch
How did you guys get through the firewall with the power lead from the battery? Is there a double super secret spot, or did you just drill? If you drilled, where? I have installed several amps in my life, but never in my new car... I am experiencing a little "pucker factor" :barf:. Thanks in advance for your help!

We're not. Because the battery is located in the rear of the vehicle in the spare tire well. No firewall drilling needed - just route the wires.