Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

iSimple Connect ISGM652

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 04:51 PM

iSimple Connect ISGM652

has anyone installed one of the iSimple Connect ISGM652 for the GM radios in there HHR? It is for adding Bluetooth,and a USB to the factory radio,plug and play install. If anyone has I was wondering where they installed the USB connector. It looks like you could put it in the factory lighter hole
Old 02-28-2015, 08:07 PM

As for the Bluetooth part, I don't know, but, for being able to have a USB port, why tear your cig lighter apart, use one of these......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Charger-Adaptor-Bullet-Dual-Mini-USB-2-Port-for-Samsung-Apple-iPhone-4-S-5-/231054452277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item35cbeb2635
Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Administrator

I have one of those bullets it works great! Two USB ports one for my IPad and one for my IPhone
Old 03-07-2015, 02:53 PM

The kit is for adding Bluetooth to your factory radio, also use for playing music thru your factory sound system using a flash drive .
Old 05-13-2015, 08:35 AM

I'm in the process of getting an ISGM652 system hooked up in my 2007 HHR. The USB is designed to be either free-standing or mounted in a 3/4" hole. It's not designed to replace the factory lighter port, but I suppose that would be an option. The only place I can find on the waterfall where one could feasibly bore a hole is to the right of the factory lighter hole. Any other nice open surface has a plastic extrusion behind it. In the short term, I temporarily passed it through the plastic bezel that surrounds the power window controls, where the rubber change tray normally goes. Once I'm satisfied that the system works as desired, I'll probably bore a hole in the waterfall as described above.

One could feasibly bore a hole elsewhere on the dash paneling, I suppose, but the waterfall is a lot easier to remove. NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BORE A HOLE IN ANY PANELING WITHOUT REMOVING IT FIRST. The wiring behind the paneling is pretty densely packed in places, and it is NEVER safe to drill without knowing that you won't hit wires, air bags, vent ducts, etc. If you're even remotely unsure about it, get a pro to install it for you!

While we're on the topic of the iSimple Connect, did you ever install one? How did you make out with it? I just started the install of mine this morning. First things first: there are wires in the provided harness that must be connected. I discovered, thanks to a related post elsewhere on this site and a wiring diagram from GM that we're supposed to opt for wiring option #2 (using the purple wires, not the purple/white wires). Fitting the wiring harness into the dash was an interesting task, to say the least - there's really no room behind the factory stereo, so it took some creative effort to get it all in place behind the plastic insert. I ended up mounting the CPU behind the plastic at the rear base of the center console, on the driver's side (i.e. near the gas pedal), mounted the reset switch inside the dash glove compartment (first removing it, then boring a hole in the left front side of it, where the wiring could pass through most conveniently - also not a bad spot to put the USB port, if you want it out of sight), and mounted the microphone at the top of the driver's side front column (running the wiring down the column, through the dash side panel you can see when the driver's door is open, and under the lip of the dash above the pedals). Now, aside from the mic and the as-yet-loose USB connector, the installation is virtually invisible.

Aside from the fact it'll take time to get used to the navigation, the only complaints I have so far with the unit are a) the included mic quality is as poor as one might expect (but survivable, and may improve with some tweaking of the levels via the bluetooth menu), and b) the HHR steering wheel controls don't work as expected; when attempting to select tracks with the ▲/▼ buttons as described in the manual, it jumps to the next preset favorite on the radio instead (which, with my existing presets, meant it jumped out of XM mode entirely) as it would in AM/FM mode. The only way I can change tracks is with the tuning knob. Similarly, it should be possible to answer and hang up calls via bluetooth by pressing the ▲ button, but only the SEEK>> button works. Perhaps there's a firmware update to handle this, but I haven't had a chance to check yet. Any idea how to get the steering wheel functions working right? I'd prefer not to have to reach over to the radio to switch tracks or answer calls!

I've still got to configure a few things (e.g. volume balance), but at least it's working better than my earlier attempts to install a GROM Audio unit (which couldn't deal with the HHR wiring at all). I'll post an update once I've had a better chance to review the system on a road test or two.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Technical Moderator

I have seen the wire run into either the dash compartment or the glove box. Then you have a solid place to lay The flash drive.

I seem to remember something about holding the steering wheel buttons to do what you want. I don't have it, so don't know for sure.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:18 PM

Tried holding the buttons. May work for the bluetooth phone, but only activates SEEK functions for USB, not track up/down functions.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:12 PM

Quick update: holding the ▲ button in does function sufficiently for answering/hanging up the phone via bluetooth, it just doesn't do the track changes. I've got a message in to tech support to see if they have anything to suggest.

I also took another look at the lighter port, and realized that it is indeed an excellent place to locate the USB port. Since my front lighter/power port never worked consistently anyway - I run a short extension from the rear console port to a splitter and USB power unit in one of my cup holders instead - it made perfect sense to remove it and sub in the USB. Removal was simple. I disconnected the wiring connector (which will remain in place, just in case I want to put in a new outlet some day), removed the old outlet and the cover (which will serve no purpose now) from the waterfall, but kept the cylindrical plastic outlet bezel, and lo and behold, the USB cable end is almost a perfect fit! Just a little hot glue on the back shored it up nicely, and the final result looks like a factory install. Sorry, I've no pics to post just now - too dark out for a decent shot - but I'll try to post one in the future.

So, in answer to pdmorris1's question at the start of this thread: yes, you can indeed put the USB port in place of the lighter outlet. Thanks for the great idea - you saved me some drilling!
Old 05-14-2015, 09:35 AM

Photos, as promised:

Putting the USB port into the lighter outlet space was a far better option for me than boring a 3/4" hole in the paneling! It's easy to access while driving, and doesn't get in the way. Nothing else from the install is really visible; as I said, the reset button is inside of the dash glove compartment, and the CPU is hidden behind the paneling on the driver's side of the waterfall console.

It should be noted, for those unfamiliar with the the iSimple Connect, although I've got a thumb drive of MP3s plugged into it in the above photo - it supports up to 32GB and up to 8000 files - you can also plug an iPod, iPhone, or iPad in via USB for full audio playback control, or any USB device for charging. The system is purportedly capable of basic bluetooth track control as well of both iOS and Android devices. Not having such a device, I haven't tested any of these features, nor did I bother attaching the RCA or 3.5mm auxiliary input cable, as I'm happy with the aux input on the factory stereo.