Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Audio and Video (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/)
-   -   "New" 2011 LT OnStar Question (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/new-2011-lt-onstar-question-61009/)

Timewalker 10-31-2018 11:08 AM

"New" 2011 LT OnStar Question

Hey All,

Haven't been around in a while because my 2008 LS has been pretty much problem free. But it just rolled over to 200k, and the wife and I decided she needed a newer daily driver for her new job. We found a 2011 LT auto with 60k miles for a good price and now have the start of our HHR fleet. ;)

The new car has some quirks I will probably get to in separate posts (e.g. the windows - rear windows will go down with their dedicated buttons, but will only raise with the driver's buttons), but the main question right now is about the rear view mirror.

It is plain. Normal. Not auto dimming. No compass. No buttons or OnStar electronics. I also don't see any antenna besides the AM/FM antenna on the car. But the stereo is the upgraded kind that plays MP3 CDs (no USB port and doesn't seem to have bluetooth, but does have steering wheel controls).

I find this odd. For some reason I thought GM was making OnStar standard on all cars by this time. Should I be worried that there was a wreck and a replacement mirror was installed? (CarFAX was clean, but we all know what that is worth.)

I want to add in an Android head unit, and maybe a rear-view camera, so I need to know what wiring harness to get. If there is no OnStar wiring, I don't want to overpay. If there is, I would like to make sure it works and maybe buy a replacement mirror. Is there any way to run the VIN and see what the original equipment was? ChevyMGR did this for my 2008, but I see he is gone now. I will also need the right adapter for the steering wheel controls.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!

Silverfox 10-31-2018 11:32 AM

My thought would be it is a Rental Lease HHR and I think that there was a delete available on those for OnStar and other items as well.
You might look on the glove box door to see if the delete RPO is there or you might be able to get your GM provider to run a build sheet for you, or take the vin# to check that out.

Silverfox

donbrew 10-31-2018 02:17 PM

For the camera you don't need a wire unless you are a glutton for punishment, Wireless adapters are only $5 (less than the wire). My 2011 had no OnStar, no Remote Start. Bluetooth is part of the OnStar module. In 2011 they did not waste money on un needed harnwsses, copper was expensive by then.

I have seen very affordable mirror-BU camera combos, like less than $100.

You can look at the glovebox door for the RPO codes. UE0= NO OnStar, US8 is probably your radio, U2J = NO Sirius/XM, AP3 means Remote vehicle start, 9L3 = NO spare tire, ZAF = compact spare tire, ZAG = you get a wheel with the tire, DT$ smoker pkg
That's most likely all that mean anything to you.

Timewalker 11-01-2018 01:11 PM

SilverFox - Yeah, the carfax did show it was originally a lease.

DonBrew - Thanks for the RPO codes! I will check them out this weekend.

Timewalker 11-03-2018 12:53 PM

UE0= NO OnStar
US8 = radio
U2J = NO Sirius/XM
ZAF = compact spare tire
ZAG = you get a wheel with the tire,And 501Q = Carbon Flash Metallic paint
Thanks! I guess any OnStar/Bluetooth/XM/etc. will all be aftermarket.
Is there a cheaper Metra wiring harness that doesn't do OnStar but still does chimes and RAP?

Oldblue 11-03-2018 05:38 PM

Check out Crutchfield, they would have that info, they’ve been very helpful to several of the members here over the years.
I’m thinking there is no upgraded stereo with the Pioneer Sub.