Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Audio and Video (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/)
-   -   No FM Frequencies?!? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/no-fm-frequencies-46660/)

drummerboy0088 06-21-2013 09:47 AM

No FM Frequencies?!?

Something random happened yesterday to my Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH, and I'm stumped...

I stopped at a gas station to fill up, and upon turning my car back on I received static for the FM channel I was listening to. I checked my other FM presets and they were all static as well. I checked AM and got all of them clear as day (it was even able to get HD signals), as well as Sirius/XM.

Ran out and bought another Antenna adapter, but still had the same problem. Check the GMOS-LAN-03 adapter, and the wiring harnesses to make sure no wires came loose (which would be hard to do since I soldered everything from the GMOS to the aftermarket HU harness).

I'm not sure if anyone else experienced this with an aftermarket HU, or if anyone would have any tips. Contacted Pioneer and they said "Reset to factory defaults, and if that doesn't work the radio may need to be serviced".

Only good thing about installing this HU is that I can take apart the waterfall/center part real quick since I've done it so much.

oldracer 06-21-2013 02:24 PM

You might want to check out http://avic411.com/ and search to see if anyone else has that trouble? So far there have been a couple of answers for questions I had found on there.

drummerboy0088 06-21-2013 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by oldracer (Post 709693)
You might want to check out http://avic411.com/ and search to see if anyone else has that trouble? So far there have been a couple of answers for questions I had found on there.

Just signed up. Looks like a great site for AVIC answers!

drummerboy0088 07-01-2013 09:10 AM

Just as an update - I contacted Pioneer again, and they said there was a grounding issue since the HU receives FM frequencies and Traffic info via the ground wire. Checked the GMOS-LAN-03 and noticed the ground wire came out of the harness, so I reconnected that and was able to get the traffic info. Weird thing now is that when I plug in the antenna adapter to the antenna wire I get static...but if I keep the adapter connected to the HU and not plugged into the antenna wire, I get a clear signal for FM channels.

Is there any way to check if the car's antenna cable came loose anywhere?

drummerboy0088 07-01-2013 09:42 PM

Another update - getting warmer!

Decided to try reconnecting the stock HU (standard, no USB input, non premium system), and still received no FM frequencies. Since this is obviously a car issue, I started reading around to check the antenna/amp. Found a post where people were talking about additional connections on the passenger side to the right, under the glove box. Pulled the panel off and noticed the coax cable, and a few connections. Disconnected the connection closest to the coax and got fm frequencies back. Put the aftermarket HU back in, started up, and had fm frequencies. I soon realized the low tire pressure light on, and no TPMS sensors were registering, the alarm system was unresponsive, and keypad didn't work. Plugged that connection back in, everything came back, but I lost FM Frequencies again....

I don't know why, but this makes me believe that there's a bad fuse somewhere? Checked the radio 15w fuse and noticed it looked ok. The amplifier 20w fuse looks ok too. Maybe there's another fuse that I missed? Little stumped, but it would kind of make sense that a fuse went if everything worked, then upon turning on after filling up I get static for FM...

oldracer 07-01-2013 10:26 PM

The stereo shop I bought all my Pioneer hardware and adapter stuff from said "when you work on the electronics then either pull fuses or unhook the battery". Once you think you have it fixed, reconnect as it prevents frying the insides of the interface or head unit.

drummerboy0088 07-02-2013 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by oldracer (Post 711027)
The stereo shop I bought all my Pioneer hardware and adapter stuff from said "when you work on the electronics then either pull fuses or unhook the battery". Once you think you have it fixed, reconnect as it prevents frying the insides of the interface or head unit.

I always remove the 15amp fuse for the radio before I take anything apart.

IgottaWoody 07-02-2013 09:39 AM

Sou n ds like the ant amp may be bad....have an old ant laying
around to experiment with?

drummerboy0088 07-02-2013 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody (Post 711088)
Sou n ds like the ant amp may be bad....have an old ant laying
around to experiment with?

I wish I did, but I think I may have figured it out (at least I think I did)

So apparently Pioneer head units have a "System Remote Control" wire (blue/white), which is suppose to be connected to an "antenna booster terminal". Looking at the manual for both my head unit, and the GMOS-LAN-03, apparently you're suppose to take the "System Remote Control" wire, and connect it to the blue wire on the 30 pin side of the GMOS-LAN-03...which I didn't do.

I feel like a total dunce :propeller: . I will be taking everything apart again (hopefully for the last time) and soldering this system remote control wire to the blue wire of the 30 pin....

Here's to hoping that works!

oldracer 07-02-2013 07:35 PM

The blue/white wire on my unit did not get hooked up the first time since Pioneer's instructions said not to and I did not get any sound at all with the interface unit I used! I called the interface company and the tech said the interface module does act like "an external amp" and the wire has to be connected from the head unit to their unit. Once I did that all was well with great sounds!