Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

OnStar 2G support ending - handsfree options.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:09 PM

OnStar 2G support ending - handsfree options.

I just received an email advising that OnStar support would soon be ending for my 2009 HHR as it utilizes 2G service which will no longer be supported by carriers by mid-2015 or so.

I found "BlueStar" by costartech.com - Home, which looks like a good solution to provide bluetooth phone support using existing mic/radio that OnStar phone used. A bit pricey, but hopefully better than a portable bluetooth unit to clip on the visor, etc. Does anyone here have experience/recommendations for this or similar devices?

Another question would be is there any way (or advantage) in using the built in GPS capability from the OnStar device after OnStar service ends?

BTW - my HHR did not come with Bluetooth support, so we have relied on the OnStar phone for hands-free calling, hence the search for alternatives post-OnStar support.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:25 PM

Really? From what I understand, our phones are sat phones.... when I was with Onstar a few days ago, they never told me that support for my system would be ending soon.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:51 PM

Perhaps this is unique to Canada. I've included the relevant text below.

"Please note: Your vehicle is equipped with hardware that operates on a 2G CDMA wireless network. This network is used to support OnStar services in Canada. OnStar has recently been informed that Canadian wireless service providers plan to decommission their 2G CDMA network services starting this year, with more significant actions commencing in mid-2015. As a result, you can only renew monthly and there are no annual pricing options at this time."

While the GPS uses satellites, the voice and data(downloading of directions) utilizes cellular carriers. In remote areas, the OnStar phone may still work while your mobile phone doesn't only because of the higher power transmitter in the OnStar - car battery fed system over the tiny battery in your mobile phone.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Could it be just the Canadian vehicles?? It appears that way.....the way the info is worded.

Opps, just witnessed this was already posted.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 PM

Hmm, I thought that all Onstar systems would be made the same. This must me what people with the 1st gen Onstar system must have felt when Onstar went away from wireless carriers.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m
Hmm, I thought that all Onstar systems would be made the same. This must me what people with the 1st gen Onstar system must have felt when Onstar went away from wireless carriers.
As I understand it, OnStar first generation was analog....the next was digital (mandated by the Clinton administration for all air wave communication because of limitation of frequencies), which caused the change.

Oh, OnStar is still on wireless carriers.

Could be wrong, however.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Exactly the same situation as when analog was phased out by carriers. It's unfortunate that the cellular communications module is not able to be upgraded over time. A significant piece of OnStar GPS/comms equipment on board that is rendered useless after 5-6 years, not to mention lost revenue to the OnStar folks.

I was quite willing to pay the premium for OnStar service in the HHR as it provided hands-free calling ( no bluetooth capability in my 2009 ), and the crash response/directions service for the young new drivers in the family.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 PM

I just spoke to On-Star just to see if anything like that would happen here in the States as opposed to Canada and they emphatically said "NO"! Nothing to worry about here BUT they went on to say that they are currently working on an upgrade for the older vehicles in Canada to be able to adapt to the new cell system and, at this time, they don't think there will be a charge for the module or installatiion in the vehicle. They don't have the modules available yet but said that they will notify vehicle owners as they become available and it WILL be before the system changeover (I guess they don't want to lose the revenue!)
Old 07-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Sounds promising! Thanks for the post Lawagz.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:47 PM

OnStar contacted me a few days ago about the OnStar upgrade module as connecting to Onstar has been changed(Ontario Canada) due to the towers being changed to handle 4G networking. The rep. went through all of the info stuff. Then I asked if I would be able use the WIFI that I assumed would be added with the upgrade module. Apparently, the '08 HHR SS will not have the WIFI in the module and the rep said the model is too old, so the WIFI is not added. Oh well, I hate driving and googling "Chevy HHR Network" anyways.

Quick Reply: OnStar 2G support ending - handsfree options.