Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Radio/speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM

Radio/speakers issue

I have the "stock" radio and speakers - non-Bose - and the radio doesn't have features I'd like such as MP3 playback, satellite radio or bluetooth. So I was already looking to "upgrade" when just a few days ago I noticed I could no longer hear my warning chime (I can still hear the turn signal click fine though). I also noticed that the audio sounds....bad. Come to find out that both of my door speakers are no longer producing audio. As far as I can tell, they went out at the same time. The little speakers at the dash level and the ones in the back continue to work fine, as far as I can tell.

When I went to the car audio shops before my speaker issue surfaced, I was pricing head units only and was going to retain the stock speakers for a while simply to keep the cost down. Now, however, it seems the necessity of upgrading/replacing the speakers is a distinct possibility.

So I was just wondering if anyone has heard of a head unit issue happening that would cause the speaker issue I'm having or if I just happened to have both of them die (which I find unlikely). I wanted to get an idea of what I'm up against before I head to the audio place to get the ball rolling.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 06-10-2014, 11:31 PM
Deceased

Well, to put it bluntly, the OEM speakers could be better and more durable. Door speaker failures are common, not in epidemic proportions, but they do poop out with little warning.

You can pull the head unit to check the connections on the rear for security, but a great majority of the audiophiles here look upon dead OEM speakers as an ideal time to upgrade.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Well, to put it bluntly, the OEM speakers could be better and more durable. Door speaker failures are common, not in epidemic proportions, but they do poop out with little warning.

You can pull the head unit to check the connections on the rear for security, but a great majority of the audiophiles here look upon dead OEM speakers as an ideal time to upgrade.
I was thinking the very same thing (although that means my budget will have to be a little bigger than planned).

Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 08:13 PM

Mine died and I thought it was my radio since the display was flickering a lot. I put in a Kenwood receiver and needed up getting a pair of front speakers for $25 on Amazon.