Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Rear quarter panel window hollow

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 05:47 PM

Rear quarter panel window hollow

I bought an $80 double din multimedia touch screen head unit (Dual XDVD276BT 6.2" LCD Touch Screen Double Din Car Stereo) from Walmart. Over all I think it works well https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ferrerid=80334
But my HHR needed new speakers, so I bought a set of JVC CS-J620 6.5" Speakers for GM Chevolet kit off of ebay, the kit came with two adapter wiring harnesses and two GM speaker brackets for $45; that went seamlessly.

So now I am thinking about adding speakers in the back but not in the door - in the back quarter panel window inset. My HHR has no windows in the rear quarter panels, but it does have regular back doors with windows and outside door handle and a back seat. Pepsi-Cola owned the HHR before me. I have not taken the rear door panels off to see if there are actually any speakers in the doors; but since I keep the back seats folded down, any speakers that I put in the rear doors would be muffled by the rear seats anyway. So my current thinking is to make use of the hollow space where the rear quarter panel window would be on a typical HHR.

Anybody heard of such... and are there any aftermarket kits for making use of the rear quarter panel window hollow?
Old 07-20-2019, 06:44 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't think there is enough space in the window area but there is lots of room under them in the wheel well area. If I cared about sound quality I don't think I would mount them there, too flimsy panel.
Why would having the seats down muffle the speakers?
There should be speakers on the doors.
Your HHR is called an AA5/half panel.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Administrator

It’s a matter of choice, some like lots of speakers

Some are more subtle

But there’s not much room at the rear window plug in an AA5

Last edited by Oldblue; 07-21-2019 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 07-21-2019, 11:46 AM

HHR Half Panel

Originally Posted by donbrew
I don't think there is enough space in the window area but there is lots of room under them in the wheel well area. If I cared about sound quality I don't think I would mount them there, too flimsy panel.
Why would having the seats down muffle the speakers?
There should be speakers on the doors.
Your HHR is called an AA5/half panel.

AH! -- HHR Half Panel -- makes sense, now I have a name to describe the type of HHR I drive.

I have considered the space behind the driver side rear wheel well, but there seems to be only one speaker space back there.
Is there room on the opposite (passenger) side rear wheel well? That would be ideal; I could maybe 3D print some sort of mount.

Greg
Old 07-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

It’s a matter of choice, some like lots of speakers

Some are more subtle

But there’s not much room at the rear window plug in an AA5
I prefer a subtle installation. I am considering the rear wheel wells now, provided there is room on the passenger side - opposite the existing sub woofer space.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:08 PM
Technical Moderator

There is plenty of room behind the panels. The one hole is for the optional sub woofer. I think the panels are too flimsy to support speakers if you care about sound. The subwoofer mounts to the body.