Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Remote Start Question

Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 PM

Remote Start Question

My wife has an '07 G5 2.2L automatic (all power options, MP3 player, etc.). She wants to add remote start. I want an integrated style system. Not really looking for an aftermarket style system. I want to know if the G5s came with remote start system "built in" and just not turned on at the BCM.

I guess my question is... Could a factory remote be programmed to the car and then turned on at the BCM for a fully functioning unit? I know this is how you add cruise control to the car. (Get the button, harness, and turn it on at the BCM)

Otherwise, I assume this could be added to the car. But has anyone put this kit on themselves? What is required for it? Could not find what I am looking for anywhere on here. http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...tID=9459&qty=1 is the GM part. Anybody add this extended range unit to their car? Will anything need done or is this unit more of a plug and play over a whole new system.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 PM

Anyone try this?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Hmm...my advice would be to ask at the dealer... I have no idea, and I wouldn't want to buy the parts if they didn't work. But I understand why you want a factory remote start...I just never liked aftermarket ones.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:00 PM

I do not know anything about the G5 and I imagine most of those on here don't either. To show my ignorance - is the G5 a GM product?

Now on to your question: Does the G5 have a DIC like the HHR where you can select to turn on the feature? Somewhere on this site you can down load the appropriate year Owners Manual and find the similarities. In the programming of the DIC on the HHR, not the display mind you, there is an option in some years 2008 and prior to turn Remote Start on/off; after which all that is needed is the correct remote buttons and grounding of one wire on the BCM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
I do not know anything about the G5 and I imagine most of those on here don't either. To show my ignorance - is the G5 a GM product?

Now on to your question: Does the G5 have a DIC like the HHR where you can select to turn on the feature? Somewhere on this site you can down load the appropriate year Owners Manual and find the similarities. In the programming of the DIC on the HHR, not the display mind you, there is an option in some years 2008 and prior to turn Remote Start on/off; after which all that is needed is the correct remote buttons and grounding of one wire on the BCM.
The (Pontiac) G5/Pursuit is the same thing as the Cobalt and HHR as far as platform, engine, transmission, and a lot of other features. It does have the same steering wheel as the '06 and newer HHR with the info buttons on the left side of the steering wheel. Since the car did not come with factory remote start, it does not give me the option to enable or disable it. I think it does on every car that came standard with the remote start option. Thanks for the advice though. It is much appreciated.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:55 PM

Just to be clear. You have gone into the DIC programming with Pressing both the “INFO” button and what I am going to call the “Return/Enter” button at the same time and then releasing both. Then using the INFO button to cycle through the programmable options. AND “Remote Start” never shows up.

On my HHR the sequence of programmable options are:
OIL LIFE RESET
UNITS:
REMOTE START:
LOCK HORN:
UNLOCK HORN:
LIGHT FLASH:
DELAYLOCK:
AUTO UNLK:
UNLOCK:
EXT LIGHTS:
Old 02-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
Just to be clear. You have gone into the DIC programming with Pressing both the “INFO” button and what I am going to call the “Return/Enter” button at the same time and then releasing both. Then using the INFO button to cycle through the programmable options. AND “Remote Start” never shows up.

On my HHR the sequence of programmable options are:
OIL LIFE RESET
UNITS:
REMOTE START:
LOCK HORN:
UNLOCK HORN:
LIGHT FLASH:
DELAYLOCK:
AUTO UNLK:
UNLOCK:
EXT LIGHTS:
I get most of those, just no Remote start option. Everything else shows up. Again, I think it shows up as an option on cars that came with remote start. Mine has a TPMS indicator option also.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:25 PM

A lot of the 2008 and possibly prior HHRs came with the option for Remote Start in the DIC even though they were never sold as such. Those vehicles just did not have a hood switch sensor detecting that the hood was closed. The wire grounding in the HHR at the BCM is to defeat that sensor. There is a long thread about that on this site.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 PM

hi to all , I've read that other long thread , but it never answers this question , If remote start is not on the DIC- by doing the ground and having the remote , will it start thanks ,
Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 PM

NO it will not start - by all indications if you do not have the ability to select "REMOTE START: ON" in the DIC you will never get the function working. Grounded wire or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Start Question