Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Audio and Video (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/)
-   -   Since I know NOTHING about.... (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/since-i-know-nothing-about-737/)

teknobunie 01-30-2006 07:16 PM

Since I know NOTHING about....

installing, or changing radios I can ask you guys right? In return if you want to know anything about hair, ask me!!!! :beer:

Ok so here is my question.......I want to change the speakers and the get a bigger sub BUT I like the radio (really, I do :red: ). Do I have to change the radio and add an amp? I only want to go to a 10 inch sub.

captain howdy 01-30-2006 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just swapped out all of my speakers including the tweeters. I kept the stock 6 disc and amp. First thing I would need to know is If you don't mind having a seperate box in your hatch area. There is no way you are going to fit a 10" in the factory box. This is the factory box with an 8" in it. I had to put a spacer ring on to make a deeper sub fit.
Attachment 45005

teknobunie 01-30-2006 07:30 PM

Ok well let me tell you what I want then you tell me what I should do.

I want my sound to be louder, I want a "little" boom in it, not much, just a little. And I want to keep my radio, so you tell me what I should do...

Do I need to go to a 10 inch for what I want? Or should I just get better speakers and if so what kind do you like......(just your thought, I know)...

captain howdy 01-30-2006 07:34 PM

Just replacing all of the speaker improved the sound quite a bit. If you put a better sub in you'll get a lot more punch. This weekend I am going to pull my box out again because I need to put on my grille that will be here on Friday. Plus I want to play around with some polyfill to see if I can find the right amount to make it hit harder than it is.

teknobunie 01-30-2006 07:40 PM

better meaning size or name brand????

captain howdy 01-30-2006 08:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Better sub in terms of quatity. This is your factory sub:
Attachment 45001
Attachment 45002
Attachment 45003
Attachment 45004
Its paper thin, made out of junk paper, not very deep, and the magnet is small.

teknobunie 01-30-2006 08:33 PM

ok what are your model numbers....?

captain howdy 01-30-2006 09:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I put in an Audiobahn AW831SE. A 8" Natural Sound Special Edition. I didn't know much about Audiobahn at first but after going to my local Audiobahn dealer and checking out some of there stuff I was impressed and decided to go all Audiobahn. I had to have them order my sub because the didn't have on in stock but I had to wait like less than a week. I don't have any shots of the sub alone but of course it is the big one at the top:
Attachment 44997
Attachment 44998
Those are the rest of my speakers also. I pulled the tweeters off of the front set and surface mouted them where the factory tweeter were:
Attachment 44999
Attachment 45000
SoCal just put in a dual 10" Audiobahn box in his ride. :beer: But chosing a brand is up to you. ;) Trust me it sounds 1000% better. You can't even tell it is the factory system anymore. It is now a lot louder sounding, cleaner, and deeper. ;) If you really want to check some snow out you are welcome to stop by and listen. :D :beer: