Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Audio and Video (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/)
-   -   Stereo noise (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/stereo-noise-17600/)

stick 08-16-2008 01:44 PM

Stereo noise

I need some help here. This is actually about a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classis but it may someday happen to any of us. He has a popping noise coming from his speakers. It happens only when the car is running, in reverse or drive, and when you hit the gas. Idleing in the drive nothing, coasting nothing, only when on the gas. I have ran a new power wire, acc wire, and ground wire to no avail. I'm out of ideas here, any help?

collyn 08-16-2008 03:31 PM

Have him temporarily run power and acc directly to the battery...not through the factory wiring at all....then see what happens. It may be the radio too. Also, Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge radios are bad about the antenna cables being defective. It could be a loose antenna wire. Try disconnecting the factory speaker wires and connect only a test speaker to the radio directly behind the radio and see if a speaker wire is getting piched/shorting to ground. Basically, you need to methodically eliminate every wire from being a source of the noise, then you will either be left with the source of the problem, or a bad radio.

stick 08-16-2008 06:02 PM

I unfortunately have done all that. New power and acc wires. It does it with a cd in the player and the antenna unhooked from the radio. Supposedly they took the radio down and had it tested at the dealership and were told it was good. It almost sounds like it is coming when if fires on a particular cylinder. Is that possible?

oneton 08-16-2008 07:02 PM

YES, A bad plug wire can cause radio noise, even a spark plug. Try putting it in drive and pull off plug wires one by one to see if it makes the pop x2 when and if it is a plug or wire when you get to the one it will stay the same

stick 08-16-2008 09:36 PM

I had the same thought, just wanted someones else to say it too. Will try, thanks! I think the jeep could use a tune up, don't know if he has the money now for it or not though.

stick 09-04-2008 09:31 PM

Well he finally broke down and bought plugs and wires. This Jeep has almost 100,000 miles and I don't think they had been changed before. The wires were old and flaky, starting to crack. The plugs were to say the least worn out. The electrode was maybe a 1/16 tall and rounded off down to the ceramic :eek: No wonder it picked up stereo noise. I told him if it didn't fix the stereo atleast he would get better pickup and mileage out of it. As far as I know for now though it did fix it. I haven't heard otherwise, but I will know tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys! :thumb:

ChevyMgr 09-05-2008 06:25 AM

Coil wire can also cause noise.

Lee3333 09-05-2008 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by stick (Post 303085)
I need some help here. This is actually about a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classis but it may someday happen to any of us. He has a popping noise coming from his speakers. It happens only when the car is running, in reverse or drive, and when you hit the gas. Idleing in the drive nothing, coasting nothing, only when on the gas. I have ran a new power wire, acc wire, and ground wire to no avail. I'm out of ideas here, any help?

If it does indeed turn out to have been the spark plug wires, then it could not ever happen to any of us, since we have no ignition wires :lol:

That said, I got bad ignition noise on my aftermarket Pioneer head/external amps. I finally solved it by getting a couple of ground loop isolators.

stick 09-05-2008 07:11 PM

True Lee. I was actually thinking about different vehicles too. The coil wire was changed at the same time. Now he is after the cap and rotor. Man this thing needed a tune up!