Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Stereo/Speaker Issues

Old 01-03-2019, 10:14 AM

Stereo/Speaker Issues

I hate to add to the long list of speaker questions but after a long search, I have not found my exact story. I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I also apologize that I am a total novice at these things.

I have a 2009 Chevy HHR with the cheaper stereo system. One-by-one, I started losing the door speakers. I'm not sure of the exact order but am down to the rear left. Assuming, from what I've read here, that the stereo is likely not the culprit, I put new speakers on my Christmas list and received them.

Speakers on Amazon Speakers on Amazon

I had recently pulled the front driver door panel and broke some clips (which I've got replacements for) so I started there this morning. I pulled the speaker housing and ran alligator clips from the solder on the old speaker to the new speaker and I am getting nothing. I clipped into the harness as well as I could and still got nothing. I ensured that the tan is going to the positive.

My thoughts are that the harness to the back of the speaker may be corroded from water based on what I've read on other threads here but want to get advice before I start tearing apart the stock wiring. Another thought is that the wires may fail as the doors are opened and closed.

How should I troubleshoot this issue? Any other advice?

I am considering a Crutchfield replacement for the stereo regardless but that wouldn't help if the wiring is bad. I am not against running new wire either way.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:00 PM
Technical Moderator

This is the best pic I could find. The harness plugs in on both ends, I think.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:53 PM

That harness looks clean, dry and free from corrosion. Without taking the door off, I've got no way to look further. Is there something I should be looking for there?

Something I didn't think of before: I can open the other windows from the driver door but cannot close them. The locks operate normally from both doors.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by vogtrj
I pulled the speaker housing and ran alligator clips from the solder on the old speaker to the new speaker and I am getting nothing. I clipped into the harness as well as I could and still got nothing. I ensured that the tan is going to the positive.
I'm not sure what you mean by "clipped into the harness as well"? If you lost one speaker at a time, the problem may be as simple as the rust on the old speakers themselves. The new speakers probably came with speaker wire and connectors. Don't be afraid to cut the old wires about 3 inches or so from the clips, and splice the new wire into the old. Then test the new speaker. If it works, then untwist the splice, slide on shrink tubing, re-twist the connections then solder them, then shrink the tubing about the newly soldered connections.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:54 PM
Administrator

You could contact Crutchfield, and simply run new speaker wires
Old 01-04-2019, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
I'm not sure what you mean by "clipped into the harness as well"? If you lost one speaker at a time, the problem may be as simple as the rust on the old speakers themselves. The new speakers probably came with speaker wire and connectors. Don't be afraid to cut the old wires about 3 inches or so from the clips, and splice the new wire into the old. Then test the new speaker. If it works, then untwist the splice, slide on shrink tubing, re-twist the connections then solder them, then shrink the tubing about the newly soldered connections.
The bolded is what I'll try with door number 1 today after work. I was afraid to mess with the original wiring at all but it seems that removing the connector from the circuit is the logical next step. Thanks! I'll update with my results.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Technical Moderator

Could use a cheap VOM to test continuity of the wires.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
I snipped the wires just past the connectors on each door and all of the new speakers are in and working. I did this the day after a rain and the back of each speaker was wet so the corrosion build up on the connectors makes perfect sense.

Thank you all for you contributions to my solution.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 AM

Thanks for posting back your solution. Glad to hear it's all working!
Old 01-10-2019, 10:18 AM
Administrator

And now, time to Crank It UP!!!