Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Audio and Video (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/)
-   -   Stereo Tweeters only working audio (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/stereo-tweeters-only-working-audio-60807/)

Lizmic55 09-07-2018 09:32 AM

Stereo Tweeters only working audio

Hi, brand new to forums. Just bought '06 HR in perfect condition 3 days ago except stereo. All speakers silent except front tweeters. Done alot of reading already, so realize moisture ruined all 4. I hope to just replace driver & pass.door for now. It truly does sound like a kids transistor radio, as one poster commented. I'm wondering how much(rough estimate) it costs or where go to get that done somewhere in St.Paul, MN. Budget conscious advice or comments very much appreciated. Thanks

rhomanski 09-07-2018 09:43 AM

I bought a new GM speaker off ebay for $25 so all four should be $100. That and a trim tool and twenty minutes a door should be all you need. As far as a shop I haven't a clue since I don't live anywhere near there. I could look one up on a search but you can too. Good luck.

Lizmic55 09-07-2018 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by rhomanski (Post 851644)
I bought a new GM speaker off ebay for $25 so all four should be $100. That and a trim tool and twenty minutes a door should be all you need. As far as a shop I haven't a clue since I don't live anywhere near there. I could look one up on a search but you can too. Good luck.

So did u get a 4ohm or 2ohm? I'm only gonna do two for now since paid all cash on car, gotta save up for awhile. Thanks for Ebay idea. I'm the first to admit I know zero about this subject, Lol. What year is your HHR?

Lizmic55 09-07-2018 08:27 PM

Stereo fuses under dash

Originally Posted by Lizmic55 (Post 851645)
So did u get a 4ohm or 2ohm? I'm only gonna do two for now since paid all cash on car, gotta save up for awhile. Thanks for Ebay idea. I'm the first to admit I know zero about this subject, Lol. What year is your HHR?

Also, by some miracle, could it be as simple as some blown fuse or relay for amplifier? Since I've only owned the car for 4 days & the dealer had no clue/answer as solution. It seems oddly coincidental that all 4 door speakers are dead at same time. But it seems alot of people on this forum have very similar issues to mine.

gio89kid 09-08-2018 12:13 AM

20A fuse cuts power to entire amp.

Tweeters are wired in parallel to door speakers, so tweeters operate from the same wire.

Since the tweeters work, the speakers sound like the problem.

All woofer speakers are 4 ohm, the tweeters are 2 ohm. This means a combined 2 ohm load (4 in parallel with 2) for the front and a 4 ohm load for the rears. This info is for the premium system.

So, if you are keeping the factory tweeters, look for 4 ohm replacement speakers. Most posts on here say to get 2 ohm but I measured the factory speakers and they are 4 ohms.