Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Installing Aftermarket HU without GMOS-LAN-04 & retain factory amp / sub

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 09:52 AM

Installing Aftermarket HU without GMOS-LAN-04 & retain factory amp / sub

The title pretty much says it all. Can I save myself a hundred bucks on the fancy harness by using a speaker wire to RCA adapter to tie the existing amp inputs into the back of the new head units RCA outputs? I hope I worded that correctly 😅. I am not too concerned with retaining the door chimes, turn signals, OnStar, etc. Is there anything else I would lose?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:29 AM
Administrator

I suppose it can be done, but those chimes are supposed to work, it’s your choice. I’m sure there are members that have done it as you have proposed.
if it’s an amp you’re adding, then the input wires to the factory pioneer amp could be tapped into.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Technical Moderator

Yes, if you don't want any of the digital stuff. The LAN adapter is actually a network card like on your desktop computer; without it there is no communication with the BCM. As long as the new HU has a control for the remote amp. The pink wire that also powers the factory antenna is the "radio on" signal and there should be a green wire that is "remote radio control". You can get switched power/RAP from any of the extra fuses on the BCM.

I wager you'll be sorry, though. You might consider the GMOS-LAN 03 without the steering wheel module, but everything else on eBay about $65. BTW, it is a Generic circuit board.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:29 PM

I ended up replacing the factory door speakers with some Bose I scored from the junk yard. That was my first step to fixing the intermittent cutting out of my sound. It ended up being the amp. I scored a second factory amp and sub at the yard too. As soon as I put the new amp in I had sound. I have another factory amp on the way that I'm going to hook up with the extra sub I now have. I'm only getting chimes and whatnot out of the tweeters now. I'm assuming those Bose can't hit the frequency for those sounds? That's my only guess. That's one reason I had considered doing without the LAN adapter. Funny you mentioned a network card because I wondered when I seen the name. I didn't even think about checking eBay yet to be honest. I was just looking on crutchfield earlier today to see what all was needed. Are the generic modules any good? I have a pretty decent pioneer head unit that I'm going to pull out of my focus because it's getting sold and figured I might as well use it. Although I don't need a new head unit, the extra capabilities would be nice. My problem is budget. I can't afford to spend a few hundred doing this. For 65ish though I would definitely give the part a try. That's far from the other prices I've seen. Without the steering wheel module do I lose everything on the wheel or just the stereo controls? I rarely use the stereo controls. I accidentally hit the mute button more than purposely use them. Thanks for your insight guys it's much appreciated!

BTW would a pre-owned name GMOS be a better option than a brand new generic?
Old 11-18-2019, 09:18 PM
Technical Moderator

"Generic" means they are all the same board in different boxes.and sometimes different names.

How are you proposing to hook the speakers up to 2 amplifiers? Multiple sub-woofers don't do much.

The tweeter and the door speaker are on the same wire. Steering wheel module is only fo radio controls
Old 11-18-2019, 10:22 PM

Oh I thought the generic term was referring to the one on eBay for $65. I was going to have the second amp power the second sub by itself. my planned method was to tap into the appropriate pre amp feed wires from the first and run them to the second. Would that be considered parallel? You don't think the second sub is worth it? I thought for sure id get a little more thump with two 8's rather than one. I wasn't aware the tweeters were on the same wire as the doors, makes perfect sense though. Forgive me, I haven't dove into car stereos very much. I've installed a head unit and speakers in my focus but never got into subs, amps and component speakers.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:00 PM
Technical Moderator

If you want more OOMPH get a different amp and sub-woofer. 2 amps isn't going to do much and might hinder. The way sub-woofers work a second one will probably cancel the first.

I am far from a sound expert but I think you need to do a lot of research before you start spending money
Old 11-19-2019, 07:28 PM

That's why I was trying to stick with something that the car is already set up for. My friend suggested buying a whole new system but I really don't want to invest much. An expensive car stereo isn't that high on my list of priorities. I figured while I was grabbing the amp anyway I might as well take the sub and try to use it to get a little more. I was going to change the head unit regardless. After some digging I ended up getting a GMOS LAN 04 for $35 shipped. If you don't count the head unit ( because I purchased it years ago for another car ). I have a total of about $75-$80 invested. Not bad considering what I've gotten out of that amount so far. 4 Bose door speakers, 2 amps, sub and the LAN 4. Worst case is I have an extra amp and sub if anything happens to the current ones.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:16 PM

Just wanted to update you guys on the install. The second sub and amp are now connected and there's definitely a difference! Head unit is going in tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-23-2019, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the follow up.