Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Audio and Video (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/)
-   -   Xm radio tuner (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/xm-radio-tuner-58383/)

klukejohn 02-05-2017 03:00 PM

Xm radio tuner

Hey,
i have a 2008 hhr with a factory radio that is xm ready. It has the CAT button that says "xm feature" when pressed. I was wondering what I would have to buy to get xm working, i was reading i have to get a tuner/antenna but am not sure, is this what i'm supposed to install? https://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV300v1-Connect-Vehicle-Satellite/dp/B00NJTO4CY
Thanks

donbrew 02-05-2017 03:07 PM

If it has a shark fin antenna at the rear just call them and start paying. The other easy check is if you have an OnStar button on the rear view mirror.

klukejohn 02-05-2017 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 818645)
If it has a shark fin antenna at the rear just call them and start paying. The other easy check is if you have an OnStar button on the rear view mirror.

Cool! I have both of those, but when i call sirius xm dont i need an activation code thats supposed to be on the radio?

whopper 02-05-2017 03:49 PM

Just go to the sirius website - they have the answers there - Help with Activation - SiriusXM Radio

klukejohn 02-05-2017 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by whopper (Post 818648)
Just go to the sirius website - they have the answers there - Help with Activation - SiriusXM Radio

sorry, i should've been more specific, the only bands available to me are fm and am, the owners manual says to find your radio id you must tune to the xm band channel 0 which i am unable to do

RJ_RS_SS_350 02-05-2017 04:45 PM

Found this thread over at CSS, do i have XM satellite radio ??? - Cobalt SS Network

klukejohn 02-05-2017 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350 (Post 818651)

They seem to be having the same problem I am having, the question is how do I access the radio ID or do I need to install a xm tuner to be able to access it and if so which one is compatible with the hhr?

Oldblue 02-05-2017 06:35 PM

Help is in here have a read....

Help with Activation - SiriusXM Radio

klukejohn 02-05-2017 07:31 PM

I believe I have figured the correct solution, the two products I need are the ISIMPLE ISGM12 SiriusXM(R) Kit and the SiriusXM SXV200v1 tuner, which are widely available. The total cost of both these parts is about $160, it appears that the hhr uses a general factory GM radio which explains why it was so hard to find any hhr specific info. Owners of different vehicles with this same radio seem to be successful with this product. I am going to go ahead and buy these and I will try to install and will keep this post updated.
General Motors Satellite Radio Kit - iSimple
https://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-Siri...2QDXNSZTQH1T40

Oldblue 02-05-2017 09:18 PM

Ok then

donbrew 02-05-2017 10:00 PM

2008s came with. You should call before spending money. The RPO code on the glove box door is U2K. The unit is behind the passenger side rear quarter trim panel.

Tim Heller 05-17-2019 02:33 PM

Um Excuse me...

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 818645)

Not quite true sir. The shark fin antenna is used for both OnStar and XM.
If you have OnStar which apparently you do then cool, BUT if you do NOT also have the XM radio Tuner installed then you are SOL .
You will know if you have XM from the factory by checking the RPO Codes on the Glove Box Door Sticker, you are looking for code U2K indicating XM.

Without it you will need to buy an XM Tuner module and install it to get radio integration - this MAY also require a dealer reflash to get the tuner to talk to your BCM on the LAN.

Not the best news I know, but I am going through the same situation now on my '08 HHR SS - I needed to buy the XM from a bone yard or Ebay typically $35.00-$50.00 Then install flash and listen to smooth XM. tunes...

ChevyMgr 05-17-2019 03:58 PM

Klukejohn, send me a private message with the last 8 digits of your VIN. I can tell you if your HHR is XM capable and if it is I can tell you the radio ID.

firemangeorge 05-17-2019 04:56 PM

CM Brad. Klukejohn posted that 2 years ago and hasn't logged in since.

donbrew 05-17-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Heller (Post 866263)
If you have OnStar which apparently you do then cool, BUT if you do NOT also have the XM radio Tuner installed then you are SOL .
You will know if you have XM from the factory by checking the RPO Codes on the Glove Box Door Sticker, you are looking for code U2K indicating XM.

Without it you will need to buy an XM Tuner module and install it to get radio integration - this MAY also require a dealer reflash to get the tuner to talk to your BCM on the LAN.

Not the best news I know, but I am going through the same situation now on my '08 HHR SS - I needed to buy the XM from a bone yard or Ebay typically $35.00-$50.00 Then install flash and listen to smooth XM. tunes...

Depending on year BOTH were standard equipment except when ordered without (fleet). Most, if not all, years had OnStar as standard except when ordered without.
The hint about RPO codes was cited many times. You can also just push the button on the radio to check for it.

ChevyMgr 05-20-2019 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 866272)
CM Brad. Klukejohn posted that 2 years ago and hasn't logged in since.

:lol: I'm a dummy!

Musky 05-22-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Heller (Post 866263)

Curious. Was the wiring already installed in the right, rear quarter panel for the XM "module" (plugs and antenna)? Is this what it means when it says "XM ready"?

Oldblue 05-22-2019 06:48 PM

Logically yes, but the BCM would need to be reflashed

donbrew 05-22-2019 07:34 PM

I don't know for sure but I think if the Onstar is there the XM wiring is there. OnStar was standard equipment (most years) except when ordered deleted. I know the 2 HHRs I had were former fleet cars with no OnStar and there was no wiring back there.

Musky 05-22-2019 09:31 PM

Thanks! I'll find out for sure this weekend. I'll be burrowing my way into that area to swap out my non-Bluetooth OnStar VCIM for one with Bluetooth which should be delivered on Friday. I think I know what needs to come off of the panel to get to it, according to Mitchell anyway. The odd thing is that it says the first thing to remove is the "window plug", yet I've read posts here that seemed to indicate that there is a lot of other things that need removing before you can get to that plug. I guess I'll find all that out to. If anyone knows what's holding that window plug on the quarter panel, I'd appreciate knowing that, to save time and too minimize the chances of doing damage.

donbrew 05-22-2019 10:37 PM

I always thought that was part of the mold.

I think once you get the cargo hooks and whatever else holds the bottom of the upper panel you can get the lower panel off.

In any case, it is not rocket science.

Musky 05-24-2019 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 866569)
I always thought that was part of the mold.

I think once you get the cargo hooks and whatever else holds the bottom of the upper panel you can get the lower panel off.

In any case, it is not rocket science.

It may not be rocket science, but it's sure above my pay grade! :lol:

I can't figure out how the "quarter upper panel plug" as Mitchell calls it, comes off. It fills the space where a side window would be if my LT wasn't a panel wagon. It is listed as the first part to be removed when you're removing the rear quarter upper trim, but Mitchell doesn't tell you how to remove it and I can't find the procedure using the forum search. I have tried twisting the plug and lightly preying it out, but it's in there solid. Mitchell shows two fasteners behind it that need to be removed to get the upper trim off. I'm stumped! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...4bf3832b19.jpg
You can see something on the back of the plug (number 1 in the drawing) but it really doesn't tell me anything.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.che...d9f0fdcf13.jpg

donbrew 05-25-2019 08:58 AM

You can either agonize over it or go out on a limb and ignore step 1.
I am not sure why you need to remove the upper panel. Just getting the lower fasteners out should do it.

firemangeorge 05-25-2019 09:26 AM

If I was to guess. I would say the window plug has plastic hooks on the back side. Push or pry up on the plug while lightly pushing in to release.
I've seen and removed numerous interior body panels that are designed like that.

Remember I'm just guessing. Don't break anything.

Musky 05-25-2019 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 866673)
You can either agonize over it or go out on a limb and ignore step 1.
I am not sure why you need to remove the upper panel. Just getting the lower fasteners out should do it.

Removing the lower quarter panel trim is much more involved then the upper trim, which has to be removed before you can remove the bottom panel anyway according to Mitchel and several posts I have read on this forum. I reached in through the little door that you use to change a tail light bulb and I can feel the VCIM and it sits mostly above the seam between the upper and lower panel trims. So I should be able to change it out with just the upper trim removed. That is what a couple of posts on the forum indicate anyway.

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 866678)
If I was to guess. I would say the window plug has plastic hooks on the back side. Push or pry up on the plug while lightly pushing in to release.
I've seen and removed numerous interior body panels that are designed like that.

Remember I'm just guessing. Don't break anything.

Thanks, I've pulled on it some, but I'll try again, carefully.