Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Anyone tried polyurethane bushings up front?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:39 AM

Anyone tried polyurethane bushings up front?

Just wondering if anyone has installed polyurethane sway bar bushings up front. I'm starting to get the "clunk" noise up front. I have my sway bar end links already and I'm fixing to order the clam shell bushings next so I can install it all at the same time. I know I can order the OEM from the dealer but I also found the "prothane" version listed for our cars online. I think it is actually a universal design that is 25mm for the front bar. I just wanted to know if anyone had actually tried these and were there any issues.
Thanks to all.

2008,LT
Old 09-05-2010, 12:54 PM

I'm going to Moog sway bar links, and I'd like to change out the sway bar bushings with something better than OE. Picked up rattle noise in front end and trying to quieten it down.
Better bushings avail for SS[I think to be 22mm], let me know. "Moon"
Old 09-05-2010, 03:25 PM

I'm at this point myself, Moog's are in and I'm looking for bushings. There is a thread here somewhere that says the energy suspension 25mm universals allow the bar to move laterally and clunk. I contacted PST and they essentially said their product is the same as ES. I thought about something custom, but anything race like is probably going to squeak.

Last edited by imredbeard; 09-06-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by imredbeard
I'm at this point myself, Moog's are in and I'm looking for bushings. There is a thread here somewhere that says the energy suspension 35mm universals allow the bar to move laterally and clunk. I contacted PST and they essentially said their product is the same as ES. I thought about something custom, but anything race like is probably going to squeak.
Here is the thd;
Post #20 give the site. Post 26 says why DreamHHR (member) removed them. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...nt+sway&page=3

Last edited by an08HHR; 09-06-2010 at 06:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 AM

That does seem to make sense what DreamHHR says.

However, why is everyone still saying/swearing by the Energy Suspension parts after Dream's findings? I'm ordering the Moog end links and figured I would do the swaybar bushings while i had the wheels off. Now I may just replace the OEM bushings with OEM.

Its a shame if DreamHHR's findings are the same for many other Energy Suspension bushing installs. I'd really like a greasable bushing in there.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:56 PM

links & bushings

I went with the Moog and ES bushings no problums, he may have gotten the wrong size bushings, mine fit perfect.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Helpful to give specific manufacturer and part #

I needed to replace the sway bar bushings and control arm bushings this week, but my mechanic said only OEM would fit. I tried to find polyurethane bushing for the sway bar, but could not find one that was a match for OEM.

It would be very helpful if the specific manufacturer and part # were given when you find something that fits or explain what modification was need to make it fit.

I did not have time to do installation myself and my mechanic was adamant that only OEM would fit and that it would be cost prohibitive for him to spend the time making modifications to get replacement parts to fit.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:35 PM

I think it is save to say the swaybar unit and links from the factory are junk. The moog is what I used to replace the OEM parts.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 PM

I also used the Moog end links and the ES poly bushings. I have had/heard no movement of the sway bar. If I am remembering correctly there is a ridge on either side of my bar that prevents it from moving from side to side. I will have to double check that.

But here is the link to the bushings I used. No problems or shims.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160874367466

The moog part number for the control arm bushings is k6698.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

Mine has moog and ES bushings, 35k no problems.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried polyurethane bushings up front?