Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

clicking sound when brake pedal depressed after brake job?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 02:44 AM

clicking sound when brake pedal depressed after brake job?

20O8 HHR, 2.2, I installed front rotors and pads. I hadn't done this sine about 1980, but it all went fine. Just as easy as I remembered it to be. Did 7 or 8 hard panic stops, and it stopped straight and true. However, when I'm parked, engine on, and press the brake pedal, I hear a 'clicking' sound from inside the car, around the center console, passenger side. Anyone have any idea what that might be? Did not have the sound before I put the car on jack stands to do the brake job.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:29 AM

Automatic trans, right? Probably the switch that unlocks the shifter. You step on the brake so you can get it out of park.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:53 AM

could be, but what caused the clicking to start and how do I fix it?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Technical Moderator

You just started noticing it; you left the door open and the radio on, ran down the battery.

Usually it's a sign of a low battery. There are a couple of relays related to the brake pedal; the center brake light and the shift interlock system, at least.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:06 AM

The clicking just blows me away! When I get in the car, either the AC or the radio is the first thing I hear. Thank you for making me so aware of what I haven't heard all these years!

Yet, I still have a spongy or soft brake pedal. I bleed all 4 wheels, in order furthest from MC first, closest last. Replaced all the fluid. The pedal was firm during the process yet soft on the test drive. There seemed to be alot of air in the system. Any suggestions?
BTW - I used the 1-person method to bleed the brakes. Tube around the bleeder screw, positioned in such a way the top of the tube was above the bleeder screw, into a bottle of clean brake fluid. Kept the MC full of fluid. When I stopped seeing air in the tube, I closed it up.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

If you just changed rotors and pads then there was no need to open any bleeders when doing this work.
If you did(and let air in the system) then you may have to use a pressure bleeder to clear it up.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Technical Moderator

I recently found out that the bleed order I always have used is wrong! The correct order is : RR,LF,LR,RF. That's because the proportioning valve is NOT divided front/rear, but diagonally.

Did you adjust the rear brakes?
Old 10-01-2016, 12:18 PM

3-4 months ago I changed rear brakes and did NOt bleed them at that time, simply adjusted them. Doing the front brakes, I did not open any bleeder valves. I thought that as long as I didn't open the valve at the wheel, air couldn't have gotten into the system [doing the frt brakes']. However, talking to my shop I have used in the pass, he said if I opened the MC to refill the fluid, I let air into the system. If that is true, then yes, I probably let air into the system. However, during the time I was bleeding the brakes, I opened and closed the MC several times.

I bleed them in the order you wrote down, which you say is wrong. Could very well be. What happens if I bleed them the way I did? Probably ADDED air o the system.

Any suggestions?

than I did let air into the system. . fluide same thing.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

Opening the MC would not allow air into the system unless you let it run too low while bleeding the brakes.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Administrator

If air got in to the MC, then you'll need to bench bleed the MC or reverse bleed the system or vacuum bleed it!

Stacy David gives a pretty good explanation of both methods here

Quick Reply: clicking sound when brake pedal depressed after brake job?