Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Finally Installed my Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:20 AM

Finally Installed my Sway Bar

After having the rear sway bar from SoCalHHRs sitting in my workshop for about 3 months, I finally installed it yesterday. It took about 15 minutes (the floor pit helped).

A big difference in handling, as others have already posted. Handling went from fairly heavy understeer to a more neutral balance. The biggest difference occurs in switchbacks (turning one direction and then immediately in the other,such as s-curves). Before the sway bar, you had to fight the body lean, which tilted the car after the first turn and fought the second turn and limited the speed you could drive thru the switchback.

Too bad GM had to design in the oversteer, but the ugly head of litigation would rear itself if they didn't. Another design for the "lowest denominator".

Fortunately it was an easy fix for us (thanks to SoCalHHRs).

Steve
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 AM

That's another mod I am contemplating...and the more I hear about it the farther it goes up the list. Thanks for posting yet another positive post about the sway bar.

Everything is kind of on hold here until something is decided on my poor destroyed Honda though...but I can sure keep looking at stuff and deciding what's next.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by fastsuv
After having the rear sway bar from SoCalHHRs sitting in my workshop for about 3 months, I finally installed it yesterday. It took about 15 minutes (the floor pit helped).

A big difference in handling, as others have already posted. Handling went from fairly heavy understeer to a more neutral balance. The biggest difference occurs in switchbacks (turning one direction and then immediately in the other,such as s-curves). Before the sway bar, you had to fight the body lean, which tilted the car after the first turn and fought the second turn and limited the speed you could drive thru the switchback.

Too bad GM had to design in the oversteer, but the ugly head of litigation would rear itself if they didn't. Another design for the "lowest denominator".

Fortunately it was an easy fix for us (thanks Progress & Hvrod)

Steve
good mod
Old 09-26-2006, 11:18 AM

That bitterness will eat you up Henry!