Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/)
-   -   front end noise (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/front-end-noise-23779/)

hhrcrafty 07-01-2009 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ted123 (Post 393941)
I have had the links replaced four times under warranty ( 160 KM ). now have 192,000, replaced again with new struts and sway bar bushings, it was quiet for about a week. NOTE to GM. this will be the LAST vehicle I will ever purchase from you. When you consider I have purchased or leased 10 vehicles in fifteen years, your loss.

Sounds like they made it right under warranty whenever you brought it in. Do you want them to give you a new Cadillac?

STLracerX 07-02-2009 07:44 PM

Is this usually something covered under GM's Bumper-To-Bumper warranty? I have an '06 I purchased about 4 months ago and mine does the same exact thing.

Ted123 07-03-2009 05:31 PM

No I just would like it to stay fixed. I had the links replaced again at 176,000, then again with the struts and sway bar bushings at 190,000.

urbexHHR 07-03-2009 05:39 PM

Yeah, my '06 had this problem too. The sway bar links were replaced, and that took care of it for about a month. Then they replaced leaking struts, and it's been fine since. All done under warranty. You have to cut them some slack on the first model years of cars...usually those have more issues because they are new. After a year or so, they usually get some of the kinks worked out. Not to say you can't get a good first model year car, or a bad car a few year down the road either....

R CA HHR 07-11-2009 12:36 AM

I had this noise about 1 year ago and they replaced the column and it was all better until a few weeks ago, it came back. i took it in and now they say its the I-beam shaft that links the column to the steering box. They are checking to see if it is a warranty /recall and they will get back to me. ill find out next week.

R CA HHR 07-14-2009 10:17 AM

Well they say it is the intermediate shaft in the steering that is making the noise but it is not a covered repair, total cost to fix is almost $500.00. I am getting a diagram of this and will try to fix it myself.
Has anyone else had this shaft problem, I will get under it and check the swaybar links and look at the strut/mounts, to see if maybe they were wrong in thei diagnosis.

Czechman 07-15-2009 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ted123 (Post 394407)
I had the links replaced again at 176,000, then again with the struts and sway bar bushings at 190,000.

Yea, those things should last at least 500,000 miles. :roll:

Ted123 07-28-2009 09:55 AM

Solved my front end noise. After having the links replaced a total of six times, bushings twice and struts once, the noise started again. Removed the front tires and found upper links connections loose. Removed the nut with the self contained lock washer, found the lock part worn flat. Went to Brofasco Fastners, they looked at it and said it was a cheap grade three, supplied me with grade eight nuts and proper lock washers. Replaced all four for less than $10.00. It has been silent now for over a month

DreamHHR 07-28-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ted123 (Post 400578)
Solved my front end noise. After having the links replaced a total of six times, bushings twice and struts once, the noise started again. Removed the front tires and found upper links connections loose. Removed the nut with the self contained lock washer, found the lock part worn flat. Went to Brofasco Fastners, they looked at it and said it was a cheap grade three, supplied me with grade eight nuts and proper lock washers. Replaced all four for less than $10.00. It has been silent now for over a month

Do you know/have the bolt & thread size handy? I think that I may have the same issue. I have poly greasable sway bar bushings, my end links were replaced twice and they did the two struts a couple of months ago: still clunking, both sides. Next time I'm replacing the end links with Moog parts.

Yves

Ted123 07-28-2009 11:36 AM

I don't think moog makes them yet.
12 mm course thread, poly lock nut and lock washer. The nut is 19mm and you will need a 17mm flat wrench for the other side