Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Gold Line spring install question-

Old 04-09-2009, 10:40 PM

Question Gold Line spring install question-

Quick question after installing GL springs- reading the sticky in the How-To forum, the pics show the rear springs being linear; I just got mine and the rear springs are progressive... The aforementioned sticky post dates back to 2006, so I will assume the springs used were gen. 1- mine were just ordered, so I assume they're gen. 2. (I've never found a consensus as to whether gen. 3 is just the rear leveling kit or all four springs, oh well) Either way, I couldn't find anything here as far as which end to mount up, and internet results point to either end being installed up (tight wound end or loose end) depending on the application...

Here is how I installed them tonight-

Before reattaching the shock-

After install, full weight on rear end-

As you can see, I installed them with the tight-wound end down. When putting the bottom spring seat (the all plastic one) on the loose coil end (loose end down) it sat at a ****ed angle. With the all plastic bottom spring seat attached to the tight coil end it sat straight up, and this is how I ended up installing them...
After driving around for a bit, everything feels fine, no rattling, etc., but I'd like to make sure this is correct...
Old 04-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Ive done 4 cars and I mounted mine tight coils up. I should also say that it's really a matter of choice. I still get a clunk in the back over small bumps and Ive had mine in both ways. Ended up with the tight to top.

Don
Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Yeah, I guess it would make sense to have the softer coils at the point of movement (facing down)- I really just want to make sure I install them the way they're meant to be...
Old 04-10-2009, 04:09 PM

???

i fail to see how it could possibly matter , as long as the mounts are the same. i also wonder why it looks like the springs are partially bottomed out--the 3 bottom coils are touching---- looks $#$&^% , i mean messed up to me. thanks for the pic. i don't think i want a spring that has coils touching together with only the weight of the car on them. i have never seen springs do that before. are you sure they are the correct springs???.......there are probably many things that i have never seen , but that just don't look right to me.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:48 PM

They are correct, they are mounted upside down. Tight goes to the top. You get a clunky clang when the coils hit each other.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:36 PM

Well, after driving more today, they do make some noise over various road obstacles... I agree with the way they look all bottomed out- I'll just switch them the other way tomorrow-
Old 04-10-2009, 07:59 PM

The springs will bottom out no matter which way you install then. I have had mine in for a year and a half, my springs are starting to wear the coating off the springs, but I don't get any noise.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Mine are mounted with tight coils on the bottom

Mine are mounted like the picture with the tight coils to the bottom. My car does have a vibrating sound when I am turning to the right over rough roads. It sounds like it is coming from the right rear coil spring.
Personally I do not see how it makes any difference at all which side is up but as easy as it is to change them I will try it.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by ballplr
The springs will bottom out no matter which way you install then.
I was kinda figuring this- damn, so many varying opinions..
Old 04-10-2009, 11:50 PM

Awaiting the results from you guys. As I wrote, Ive had em in both ways and although not silent by any sense of the word, much quieter mounted tight up. Also, I remember really seating the spring on the bottom. Also, helped to have another pair of hands line up the top when jacking up the axle to remount the shocks. I got mine in a little off center and you could visibly see it wasnt right.

There is a post from Tikker having the same noises, his sounds like something is loose and suspects the shocks. I am watching that tread too although Im not sure how the shocks would rattle.

More will be revealed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gold Line spring install question-