Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/)
-   -   HHR Shocks and Struts Question (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/hhr-shocks-struts-question-36002/)

navye9ret 06-03-2011 04:57 PM

HHR Shocks and Struts Question

My 2006 HHR LT has just over 55K miles and I think it's about time to R&R the struts and shocks.
While online shopping for struts, I find that there are "Sport suspension struts" and "Soft ride struts" available for my ride. How do I determine which applies to my car? I don't know if my HHR has the "Sport" or "Soft" struts originally installed. Is there a way to determine which ones I have? As I'm an old duffer I think I would prefer the soft ride.:twothumbs:

JoeR 06-03-2011 05:19 PM

First, what "LT" to your have?

LT1 and LS have the same shock.

LT2 has a gas shock.

Being GM OEM, none of them are worth a crap.

Choices: Stick with GM OEM or others.

Greybeard999 06-03-2011 06:32 PM

2LT has "Sport Suspension" also called FE3. (the FE3 would be on the sticker in the glovebox. FE1 is the "soft") The 2LT is the only version that has this suspension and all 2LT models came with it.... It was part of that "package" or trim level. If you have a 1LT and want to "upgrade" you can, the parts would interchange. KYB shocks and struts are FE3 and a good brand without going overboard on cost.

jay loukakis 06-03-2011 06:37 PM

I went with the KYB for the rear and next month the KYB struts, my 2006 2lt:thumb:

843de 06-03-2011 06:41 PM

I went with the KYB shocks and struts, no complaints on either ride or handling, even with only 55K on yours.....you'll be surprised at the difference new hardware will make.

bassbase 06-03-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR (Post 568900)
Choices: Stick with GM OEM or others.

:wtf: According to that, any shock fits. No help there.

Soft = LS and 1LT (FE1)
Sport = 2LT (FE3)

The SS uses FE5. That is what what I upgraded the shocks and struts to on my 2LT.

KYB and Monroe make shocks and struts equal to the FE3 suspension.

quick66ss1 06-03-2011 09:22 PM

I bought mine off ebay. $204 and I have no complaints with the ride.

navye9ret 06-04-2011 08:10 AM

Thanks for the tip on the sticker in the glovebox.
The sticker says I have the 2LT.
I'm an older guy and don't really require or desire a "Sport" suspension. If I go over to the "soft" struts will I need to replace the coil springs? Are all of the strut components interchangeable between "soft" and "Sport"?
An on line parts supplier, www.rockauto.com has a complete Monroe strut assy with new coils, mounting bracket and shock boot for $126.00 each side.
I like the aggressive stance of my HHR, will that change if I go to the "Soft" suspension?
Thanks to all who respond I really appreciate your input.:twothumbs:

Greybeard999 06-04-2011 09:58 AM

The springs are the same between the FE1 and FE3, just the shocks and struts are different so it's a simple swap. Stance will stay the same.

prod 06-04-2011 02:14 PM

You can choose which level of comfort vs performance suits your driving style as they are interchangeable.
From the sound of it the FE3 that came on the car would be good for you, were you happy with them? I believe those that got the KYB said they were equivalent.
I have driven the FE3 briefly, but didnt notice much difference compared to my FE1.
Personally I will be going with the FE5 SS ones soon.

donbrew 06-04-2011 08:19 PM

Depending on how many miles are on the car.. You might consider a "Quick Strut Kit" that includes Everything (the strut,spring,mount, bolts,nuts) you don't even need a spring compressor, 3 nuts at the top 1 bolt at the bottom.
They run around $200 each, but the labor saving is priceless, and you get new springs and mounts! I know Monroe sells them & I think others are available.

Upon re-reading a previous post, if they will sell you that Quick Strut for that price, it is a good deal. But check other sources for the same part number. I am an old fart too! 1968 Olds 98 was to stiff for me!

donbrew 06-04-2011 08:33 PM

Oh, yeah the "stance" won't change, that has to do with (mainly the rear) suspension geometry, not shocks or springs. Note that when you load up a 1/2 ton of stuff in the cargo area that the "stance" barely changes, handling goes to hell, but...

Jeez, I just checked out the prices. A year ago $106 each for struts only was a great price. Now that price will get you a "Quick Strut". $73 strut, $17 mount, + the spring. Get the "Quick Strut", Especially if you are going to do the job yourself. But check around for prices. The sellers seem to say FE1,FE3,FE5 are the same kit, evidently only the sway bar & links are really different????

This might be a great time to do the links and hubs and axles and rotors and pads (maybe even calipers). It's only your money, not mine!

But seriously, if you are doing the work yourself and you have the funds and you have 100K miles.... Labor is all the same X4. You would be talking 1 day in the garage and another 150K miles of "no worries". Don't you just hate "well you might as well while you're at it"?

IgottaWoody 06-06-2011 10:58 PM

All 3 systems are exactly alike,,the only difference between them are the spring rates and shock valving, thats why they say will fit all, besides , it sells , to people who dont know the difference....

notrealchevyfan 05-16-2014 07:57 PM

I just bought a 2008 HHR LT. Noticed when I backed it out of the garage that the rear seemed to bounce a little much, dropping over the 1" difference from the garage floor to the pavement. Rear shock were replaced at 120K miles. It now has 160K miles. Would the rears go bad in just 40K miles? The guy pretty much just hauled himself back and fourth to work. what say you???

donbrew 05-16-2014 08:19 PM

The shock manufacturers recommend replacing their shocks EVERY 50,000 miles.

Oldblue 05-17-2014 09:24 AM

four years on KYB's and no leaks or bounce issue, oh and 85,000 miles!!

cz9h3d 05-18-2014 01:02 PM

I purchased Monroe quick struts from Amazon - one was $98, the other $115.
I also purchased the Moog sway bar links @ $24/each.

The struts themselves are rather easy to replace. 3 bolts up top, two on the bottom.

It's the sway bar links that are a total PITA to get off! The nut on the back side to keep the stud from turning is very thin on the OEM links. Mine appear to be 17mm (vs. 18mm for the main nut). But I couldn't get an open end wrench to hold through all the corrosion and how skinny the nut is. I resorted to vice grips on one side, and used my floor jack on my breaker bar to get the nut moving.

On the passenger side - well, my car is currently still on jack stands as I contemplate my next steps. I don't have enough clearance for the vice grips on that side. I may have to go out and buy some cheaper, thinner vice grips.

So the struts are easily a 60 minute job. But add in 8 hours to remove the sway bar links!

BTW, I also purchased the Energy Suppression sway bar bushings. I'm going to have to attack those another time, as it's too hard to remove the bolts on jack stands.

donbrew 05-18-2014 02:19 PM

Whichever you want. LT is generally soft, if it was a rental even softer.

Bigpatshhr 05-28-2014 07:40 AM

I went to get the energy sway bar bushings on their website and they have a 24mm size. Aren't they supposed to be 25mm? For a LS

Oldblue 05-28-2014 05:31 PM

Energy suspension poly for 1inch/25mm bar - greaseable -part # 9.5161 should be the parts you order

donbrew 05-28-2014 06:04 PM

But what's that got to do with shocks and struts?

Some early models evidently had different sizes.

DaveEast 06-19-2014 12:08 AM

2011 Rear shocks

2011 HHR LS. 55,000 miles. I had to replace rear shocks. Leaking oil. Is this normal? Also front brakes but that I say is good. Did not need to turn disc.

donbrew 06-19-2014 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by DaveEast (Post 750331)
2011 HHR LS. 55,000 miles. I had to replace rear shocks. Leaking oil. Is this normal? Also front brakes but that I say is good. Did not need to turn disc.

Shocks are good for about 40K.