Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lower control arm frame bolt says no

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 PM
Technical Moderator

Oh, did we forget to mention the bolt is at least grade 8?
Labor day weekend begs for "we're gonna need a bigger bolt". (Jaws reference)

Last edited by donbrew; 08-31-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:10 AM
Administrator

So surgery was required due to the bushing sleeve fused to the bolt, glad you got it out and the new LCA in!
Old 08-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Kookie
Well, this may have turned to be a 'how to' - 'remove a completely fused/ rusted lower control arm frame bolt' I guess. Used a sawzall with a 9" blade.

Suppose I had all that room from burning some of that rubber away from trying to heat it.

Thank for everyones inputs. Helped me deal with this nightmare.
I commend you for a job well done.

So. 2 questions based on my experiences.
Did you snap off or bend any blades ?
Did the sawzall blade ever get in a bind and give you the "sawzall jitters"

Based on the position of your working area, I can just say it didn't look like it was much fun.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:05 AM

No didn't break any blade or no jitter. Just took a long time. Saw got pretty hot. Thats a hell of a bolt. I did switch out blades about half way on each cut. So, used 4 blades out of a 5 pack. (15 bucks for that pack! Gees.) There is only one spot on the blade that can make contact and it will go dull.

I guess I should mention that I moved the sway bar to get in there. I decided since it was in the way, I'd replace that linkage. Glad I did, drives real nice now. And now I can get new tires and an alignment. Didn't want to put new tires on with that bad bushing. Next visit, TireRack and Firestone for my lifetime alignment.

Glad I looked at the other side too. That bushing was starting to tear, So, lifetime LCA's and Sway linkage. AND LOTS O' Antisieze! Should be easy to throw new new ones on. An actual 2 hour job. Those bushings suck!

Probably new struts soon enough. Hopefully not until next year.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:13 AM

BTW, if you'll notice I cut the top cut through the bushing just in case the bolt was still in the threads so I could grab on to it to back it out. It wasn't. It was all the way out. Basically just fell out.

Maybe later I want to put that in the vise and smack out that bolt to see how stuck it was. At this point though, I don't want to look at it. Sick and tired of it. Just drive it. Thanks all.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Glad to hear it is resolved - and thanks for documenting a unique situation that we hadn't seen before. Good job.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:48 PM

thanks for the antisieze tip...Bill
Old 11-18-2014, 02:49 PM

Fortunately my LCA bolts came out pretty easily - though getting them back in was a PITA, and i ended up re-undoing the front bushing mounts and ball joint so that I could position it to line up.
I had a Dodge Ram when I lived in Buffalo (lots of road salt) that needed a control arm bushing replacing - I ended up sawing that one out in exactly the same manner. Good thing there was a parts store within a bicycle ride distance...
Old 12-06-2014, 02:41 PM

Did you use anti seize on the new bolt shoulder and thread's ? Makes it a lot easier next time you need to replace something.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mister hhr
Did you use anti seize on the new bolt shoulder and thread's ? Makes it a lot easier next time you need to replace something.
Post #24 says: "AND LOTS O' Antisieze!"

Quick Reply: Lower control arm frame bolt says no