Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Lowering rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 PM

Yes you can make them ... If you have the right material and tool to cut it. Sharp larger scissors should work.

Not sure why GM does not make them available separately.

However The OEM part is a piece of junk.
I put my SS/SC springs on with approx. 30,000 miles on the HHR and the gaskets were shot when I removed them.

SF
Old 02-20-2019, 06:02 PM

You are looking straight at trouble changing the spring rate and height on one end of the vehicle.

If you think you know what you are doing, just cut the coils like a Civic. Then you will have similar company among fools ...

I can assure you, this is a really bad idea. It will handle like ASS... Then you lose it and kill someone, and all those people who thought it was OK won't be there for you...

Whatever. You think you are smarter than suspension engineers? Go for it.

I recommend AGAINST it, and I do work in the industry on Chassis issues. I have 30 years of background that says this is a bad idea.

(Not a suspension engineer, nor do I work for GM)
Old 02-20-2019, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Good points, but we can’t cut coils like a Honda, the pigtail spring at the top and bottom prevent that.
as for lowering the rear to level the HHR has been a common modification for years , I’ve never seen any documentation confirming the dangers you declare.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Hmm. Didn't see anyone talking about "cutting coils" in the previous pages. Why was this even brought up ?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Second paragraph, post #22, the cutting of coils is mentioned.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Blue_SS - When I bought my Panel (circa: Aug 2009), stock it felt very dangerous in curves. Like it was tipping over.

Only after adding the Cobalt TC/SS springs in the rear & the TTR rear sway bar are what made it hug the corners, almost like on rails. .Very good feel, That's been almost 10 years riding on this set up. I wouldn't change a thing. GM should have made it this way.

I can haul plenty & later, still have fun in the twisties. I'm not an official engineer. Just a Gear Head that has been modding rides for 50 some years.

Last edited by sleeper; 02-22-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:58 PM

I find No Downside to my GM .. SS/SC with Sway Bar.
It handles excellent.
Why would anybody need to even think about cut springs on an HHR with all the other optional springs and bars available.

SF
Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Silverfox
I find No Downside to my GM .. SS/SC with Sway Bar.
It handles excellent.
Why would anybody need to even think about cut springs on an HHR with all the other optional springs and bars available.

SF
Agreed 100%
Old 02-22-2019, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
You are looking straight at trouble changing the spring rate and height on one end of the vehicle.

If you think you know what you are doing, just cut the coils like a Civic. Then you will have similar company among fools ...

I can assure you, this is a really bad idea. It will handle like ASS... Then you lose it and kill someone, and all those people who thought it was OK won't be there for you...

Whatever. You think you are smarter than suspension engineers? Go for it.

I recommend AGAINST it, and I do work in the industry on Chassis issues. I have 30 years of background that says this is a bad idea.

(Not a suspension engineer, nor do I work for GM)

So adding a sway bar where one did not exist before, or replacing one with a heavier one would be courting death as well?
Old 02-23-2019, 12:46 AM

I think he is only concerned about changing spring rates.
Im not familiar with the spring rates of those discussed here and how much variance there is between them, but I can add to the conversation as on my old ranger, I swapped lowering springs in the front, to give it more of an aggressive stance, not much, 1" drop. but the spring rate of the lowering springs was quite a bit different than stock, especially stock with 150k on them.... I noticed the issues that blue_ss is concerned with as the difference going over bumps was noticeable. but it didnt affect the handling, at least, not enough to warrant any concern by me, it was just a tad more uncomfortable.
I think I read in a different discussion the spring rates of the HHR FE1 are fairly close with the cobalt SS (TC) the only one that was enough of a difference to garner consideration was the C/SS (SC) as those were quite a bit softer than stock HHR springs ? (correct me if Im wrong)
but, with an added TTR sway bar, I think that would alleviate much of the difference. (just guessing here)

all in all, while I appreciate the concern, Ill take the word of someone who has been using that setup for some odd 9+ years :)

Quick Reply: Lowering rear