Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/)
-   -   To quick strut or not to quick strut.... (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/quick-strut-not-quick-strut-33668/)

dozol22 01-27-2011 09:52 PM

To quick strut or not to quick strut....

Hey guys !

I have problem here. I need new shocks.

I am debating if i should get the Monroe quick strut (150 bucks each) or but the strut assembly and the mounting kit separately.

Quick struts will run me 300 bucks.
Same brand strut assembly is 64 bucks plus the mounting kit $24 per side.

I will save over 100 bucks if i buy separately.

What should I do?

Will everything else swap out? I am thinking i will just need a spring compressor.

Thoughts ?

thanks
dominik

mrarff 01-29-2011 01:11 PM

Home replacement of struts

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but replacing strut springs is like cleaning a loaded gun if you have never done it, or have only seen it done on TV. The tool the pro mechanic uses is nothing like the one we can buy from the high school kid down at the parts house. I tried it once, gave around $50 for the "spring squeezer", and it stripped out just as the first spring was at the end of de-compression. To say that I soiled my pants would be putting it mildly. I coulda very easily lost a couple of fingers! DiscountautoParts.com has the pre-loaded Monroe kits for $127+change. They come with the top mounting plate. I got 2 shipped to my door for $277+change. The alignment guy I use(yes you WILL need an alignment) told me that he would put them on for $20 a side, and align it for $38.($78 total labor) Total job will run $351 and all I have to do is to show up. Also, don't you guys think that the springs wear out like the struts do? Don't always let people tell you what to do, but in this case think about it really long and hard. Good Luck!:twothumbs:

ericm1a2 01-29-2011 01:42 PM

ALso do not to suddenly jar or drop the strut housing, as the compressed spring carries more than 1,000 pounds per square inch of force when compressed. Failure to adhere to this warning could cause severe physical impairment or death:skull1: if the spring were to release. If you have second thoughts about this job, consult a trained professional that is equipped with a wall-mounted spring compressor.

IgottaWoody 01-29-2011 01:51 PM

warnings are good but 1000# per sq in? Those are 3/4 truck spring ratings...more like 4 or 500..non the less they can be dangerous if not handled correctly.....float like a butterfly and stings like a sledge hammer swung by Steve Austin

ericm1a2 01-29-2011 01:56 PM

thats what i found for a 1996 Buick Regal lol

09 Silver Bullett 01-29-2011 02:59 PM

Quick struts are nice. Easy out with the old and easy in with the new. Done a few with quick struts, 2 1994 Dodge Intrepids front and rear, 2002 Grand Prix front, cars rode like new again.

mrarff 01-29-2011 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody (Post 526409)
warnings are good but 1000# per sq in? Those are 3/4 truck spring ratings...more like 4 or 500..non the less they can be dangerous if not handled correctly.....float like a butterfly and stings like a sledge hammer swung by Steve Austin

I'm no expert on spring pressure, but when fully compressed I bet that one could "chunk your punkin" about a mile an' a haff. When somethin' goes wrong with that job, it goes bad really quick AND reaally ugly. Have you ever replaced the recoil spring on a lawnmower engine? You know, you have to wind it up really tight with your hands while keeping it from un-winding? (if you ever repaired small engines for a living, you KNOW you can crush walnuts one handed) My point is those of use who've done it have had them fly all to hell & back at least a couple of times. That is like a very small rubber band compared to a fully compresssed strut spring. Please don't take those things lightly. They WILL kill or maim you.:skull1::wow::wtf::poison:

dozol22 01-29-2011 11:58 PM

Thanks guys for all the input.

I will save myself the trouble and buy the quick strut.

dominik

rcdougie 02-22-2011 12:51 AM

Im going to do the Quick Strut as well and then off to the alignment shop.

mister hhr 02-27-2011 08:47 PM

How big of a job is it to install a set of quick struts? Was thinking of doing it myself but have never replaced struts before.