Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

SS front end problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:04 AM

SS front end problems

I am pretty sure the ball joints are ok. I started hearing a whirring grind noise up front and knew i was gonna have to rebuild front end soon but what a mess. I think its wheel bearing hub / axle related as it goes louder as you roll faster not engine speed related.
So i bought 2 new moog wheel bearings and 2 cv axles, tore the whole thing apart, to find out axles i got are wrong OMG. And then noticed lca flopping around bushing shot. Uninstalled that bought 2 cheapo autozone bushings. Now i gotta find the correct cv axles.
The guy at parts store was saying dude you got the right axle , so i was like OK go get me the MOOG SS hub from back on the shelf and i showed him ok whats gonna hold this together? So my plan now is to just redo rear bushing-2 new bearings- 2 new axles.
Later on i will buy 2 new GM lca and hack out the crap bushing and install moog i guess. im not sure but i bet the issue with SS lca is probably same with SS axles. Can you only get axles at GM? I understand yall have beat this horse down, and im asking stuff that the
answers to are here on forum, so i will search previous posts, dont think for a second i dont appreciate any info i get here tho. Yall have helped big time.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mrgreen73
I am pretty sure the ball joints are ok. I started hearing a whirring grind noise up front and knew i was gonna have to rebuild front end soon but what a mess. I think its wheel bearing hub / axle related as it goes louder as you roll faster not engine speed related.
So i bought 2 new moog wheel bearings and 2 cv axles, tore the whole thing apart, to find out axles i got are wrong OMG. And then noticed lca flopping around bushing shot. Uninstalled that bought 2 cheapo autozone bushings. Now i gotta find the correct cv axles.
The guy at parts store was saying dude you got the right axle , so i was like OK go get me the MOOG SS hub from back on the shelf and i showed him ok whats gonna hold this together? So my plan now is to just redo rear bushing-2 new bearings- 2 new axles.
Later on i will buy 2 new GM lca and hack out the crap bushing and install moog i guess. im not sure but i bet the issue with SS lca is probably same with SS axles. Can you only get axles at GM? I understand yall have beat this horse down, and im asking stuff that the
answers to are here on forum, so i will search previous posts, dont think for a second i dont appreciate any info i get here tho. Yall have helped big time.
Wow.

The SS CV axles only fit that trans, so most likely they are/were correct. The spline count prevents wrong ones... Use new nuts on the axle ends, too. There's thread stretch, and they can work loose. Best of luck.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Technical Moderator

The parts books are WRONG. Even the Moog catalog. You should have come here first.

Used to be SS axles were dealer only and they are on back order and "not available" That may have changed.
The hubs are different, the spline count.
The ball joints on the LCAs are NOT interchangeable. Maybe the ones from the dealer will work, but I would mic the ball joint stud first.

Check our parts thread for part numbers.https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...rt-numbers-68/
Old 08-11-2018, 08:45 AM

Axles for ss auto are unavailable.

Last edited by Ohiocruiser; 08-11-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:19 AM

My car is a 09 Hhr SS with manual 5 speed with 165k, i believe now upon looking into axles they may be ok , hoping the wheel bearing is where all the noise was coming from. You guys are gonna Laugh i went to Napa and bought a control arm just to satisfy my curiosity, did it fit? Uhm nope not at all, so i ordered them from ZZP, be in monday so i can put it all back together. Some of the tranny fluid leaked out , i was gonna order redline mtl 75w80.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:48 AM

FYI I wouldn't recommend you use anything other than the GM fluid in the trans, most people who have had issues with the syncros. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...s-fluid-21249/
Old 08-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Which ZZP LCA’s for the FE5 Suspension
Old 08-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Technical Moderator

I don't know about ZZP's ball joints. Be wise and mic them before using them, you want 20.5 mm. ALL of the other parts books are wrong.
ZZP website has some incorrect information about the LCAs and says it has 2 different sizes, but $499 ! And they are stamped steel.

One of our members used GM8206 axles work for SS. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/comm...el-pump-57070/
And there is this choice if you are loaded. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...f-shaft-59536/

Look in your Owner Manual for fluid recommendations. GM cars don't like many "upgrade" fluids.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:13 PM

At zzp website it lists 19.5 or 20.5 ball joint LCA's and the picture is cast aluminum,I know pictures dont mean very much, keeping my fingers crossed. As for manual trans fluid i thought i read
on here somewhere to use GM GL-4 or Redline GL-4 only. Redline was actually the only other GL-4 type approved. My computer shows that $499 LCA from ZZP as some
high performance tubular version, not a stamped steel.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Technical Moderator

Yes, GM part number 88862472 is indeed GL-4 75w-90.

ZZP also says that the 20.5 is NOT for the SS. They have is backwards.

The 8206 axle is about a quarter inch longer than the OE axle.

Quick Reply: SS front end problems