Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/)
-   -   rusty brakes (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/rusty-brakes-51980/)

skyline26 10-10-2014 09:02 AM

rusty brakes

just got new pads and rotors done at the dealer...1 week later and they are rusty as hell! rusty water spraying all over the place! all over my rims, rotors, tires, wheel well, fenders and door...really pisses me off!!

Oldblue 10-10-2014 09:07 AM

Wow take it back and have them explain this and fix it!

firemangeorge 10-10-2014 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just one of the reasons why I always paint any of the bare metal, non pad contact areas of new rotors. Nothing worse than a clean car with rusted brakes showing thru the rims.

Attachment 16643

Blue Beast (aka Boydie) 10-10-2014 12:10 PM

The rotors on my cars get a coat of rust sitting overnight in the garage or in the drive:confused:. As I backup and apply the brakes you can hear the rust getting cleaned off:cool:. Not good for the pads. My '96 S-10 was worse than my HHRs. (Cheap Asian iron :roflol:with not enough chrome)

Boydie

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 761105)
Just one of the reasons why I always paint any of the bare metal, non pad contact areas of new rotors. Nothing worse than a clean car with rusted brakes showing thru the rims.

Attachment 16643

Blue Beast (aka Boydie) 10-10-2014 12:24 PM

I don't understand where the rusty water is from coming?

Boydie

Originally Posted by skyline26 (Post 761103)
just got new pads and rotors done at the dealer...1 week later and they are rusty as hell! rusty water spraying all over the place! all over my rims, rotors, tires, wheel well, fenders and door...really pisses me off!!

Blue Beast (aka Boydie) 10-10-2014 12:28 PM

Fireman

The red painted Brembos do look good but I don't understand. The face of the rotor rusts and you can't paint that.

Boydie

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 761105)

Attachment 16643

firemangeorge 10-10-2014 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Boydie (Post 761116)
Fireman

The red painted Brembos do look good but I don't understand. The face of the rotor rusts and you can't paint that.

Boydie

Not sure what you don't understand. As I stated, I paint any bare parts of the rotor that could rust except the face where the pads make contact. Of course you can't paint that.
This wasn't about the caliper. It's just part of the picture I used to show the painted rotor.

skyline26 10-10-2014 02:30 PM

its been raining for a few days here so thats where the rusty water comes in...cant believe just after 1 week! geez talk about cheap parts

Grizzly old man 10-10-2014 04:33 PM

Boydie,

I'm pretty sure rotors are made of cast iron not steel at all.

I could be wrong but I think if they used steel it would tend to 'work harden' in spots from normal breaking, then the brake pads could no longer get a good bite rendering the brakes useless.

Drum brake drums are made of cast iron for the same reason.

firemangeorge 10-10-2014 05:42 PM

Cast iron only ? Not if it came from a Chinese factory. :lol:

Remember. They're the country that buys millions of tons of our scrap metal. It gets shipped to China by the "boatload".....literally.
No telling what kind of metal winds up in their rotors and drums.