Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Shock/Strut ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:14 AM

Shock/Strut ?

Been awhile since posting But back again :O My 2011 w/71 k IMO is due for Struts and Shocks! I am looking at Monroe's but curious on what you all are using ! The good Bad and Ugly :O .
Are those complete Struts worth it or just stay with a front strut w/o the spring ? Any other parts that should be changed with the Shock/strut replacement ?
I do not mind spending a few extra $$ to have the job done right plus my PT retirement job is at a Auto Parts store so I get a nice discount :) ,
Plus I know have access NO more crawling under cars for me lol to a lot of garages with good mechanics ,

Thanks

Rich
Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 AM
Administrator

I suggest just the struts and shocks, I use KYB.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:55 AM

I went with Gabriel quick struts. Quick struts are finer as long as you get them from a reputable company. Those springs are strong, and if you arent properly equipped or capable of swapping the spring safely you can injure your car, work space, and worst of all yourself.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:08 AM

Thanks, I will be paying a mechanic to install them.. I deliver car parts a couple days a week as a retirement job, so discount on parts and meeting some mechanic's I trust :) I'll check out those KYB you suggested Blue .. :0 Thanks guys
Old 09-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Look in our parts list of common part numbers
Old 09-22-2018, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Look in our parts list of common part numbers
Forgot about that list lol But then again I am a Old Fart lol... Thanks
Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 PM

Goes with the territory. Find someone reliable, and just do struts/shocks, unless they find an issue with the springs. Not likely, but some have had accelerated rust that could lead to breakage. Springs are purely mechanical. They don't weaken much, unless something is amiss.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:28 AM

A Shock ? :O

I am planning on changing the Shocks and Struts on my 2011 HHR w/75k on the clock !
My PT Retirement job is at a Auto Parts store so I get a nice discount :) Good for me but also bad lol. They sell MONROE and I can order other's , How do you all like the Monroe's ? Are the Quick Struts worth it ? Or ? Pros and Cons ? What else should I get changed with a complete Shock/Strut job ? FYI I will be having one of the shops I know install my parts, I want the wheels to stay on so i am not doing it lol And yes I am using the search box and reading what I can. BUT your input will be a plus :)
Thanks

Rich
Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 AM

I put Monroe shocks and struts on my 09 LS about 3 years ago and they are very good, still holding up very well. I believe quick struts are the way to go, and I think most on here will agree. It really makes the job easier, and you get new springs and bearing plates too. Just remember to buy stabilizer links. You will likely have to cut the old ones off. I recommend Moog on those. Had to buy them 1/2 way through the job and ended up getting them from Auto Zone in a pinch. I replaced both of them with Moog after 3-4 months. Be sure to torque them properly or they will loosen up on you.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Yes the Monroe struts are a good way to go, I prefer KYB products, and the Moog swaybar end links are almost mandatory to change out.

Quick Reply: Shock/Strut ?