Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/)
-   -   Squeak squeak. What? Hellpppppp (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/squeak-squeak-what-hellpppppp-61143/)

TroyK 12-10-2018 07:51 PM

Squeak squeak. What? Hellpppppp

Hi Everyone!

I am living in this annoying cycle of "We don't know" right now, and I am wondering if someone can help me out.

Currently my car is making a noise.. Shocker right? Here is what is happening.

When slowing down to a stop from a slow rate of speed, I am hearing a creaking noise from the left front. My mechanic has had the car all day, and we have no idea what it is. I am picking up the car with no resolution, and am dreading a potentially expensive visit to the chevy dealer. I have replaced the rotors, brake pads, and even the left brake caliper bracket and pins, after I found a tear in the slide pin boot, and rusty nasty pins. It was best for me to just replace all that. It is still doing this after everything was lubricated properly. It is driving me crazy, but could not find any information anywhere for a possible cause / resolution to the issue, same with any TSBs that I could see. This noise is apparent when the car is under 5 miles an hour to the stop if this is helpful to anyone.

It is a 2010 1LT

Greybeard999 12-10-2018 08:21 PM

Does the noise stop if you let off the brakes at that slow speed?

donbrew 12-10-2018 08:28 PM

Lower Control Arm bushing. Easy to test; car in park push the top of each front tire fore and back; if the wheel moves and the car does not bad bushing.

Sometimes described as "it feels like the wheels keep moving when coming to a stop".

Any mechanic that thinks a dealership mechanic knows more than he is not worth your money. They went to the same trade schools.

TroyK 12-10-2018 08:31 PM

Thanks for the replies!

it goes away once I let off the brakes but if i press down down again it makes the same noise again.

TroyK 12-10-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 857072)
Lower Control Arm bushing. Easy to test; car in park push the top of each front tire fore and back; if the wheel moves and the car does not bad bushing.

Sometimes described as "it feels like the wheels keep moving when coming to a stop".

thanks I'll check that out too !

OldSwede 12-10-2018 08:40 PM

Noise

Check the upper strut mounts.

Oldblue 12-11-2018 12:53 PM

Check the torque on the swaybar end bushings, the ball joint cinch bolts, are the LCA rear bolts torqued correctly.
then we look to the three hub mounting bolts, the caliper mounting bracket bolts, 85 ft lbs.

lotsa times the clunk our noise is simple fact of lazy mechanic syndrome, use the air gun and that’s all. Never check the torque properly.

Greybeard999 12-11-2018 01:16 PM

According to the thread title it's a squeak, not a clunk...

Oldblue 12-11-2018 01:20 PM

Squeaking result in clunks after the fasteners loosen up.

Scott_S 02-07-2019 01:22 PM

Going off of what blue said, check your center sway bar bushings. I was getting something between a clunk and squeak when mine were going. Switched to energy suspension and now it's a real squeak when cold lol. Poly is worth the squeak though lol.